Rimfire KD 100/200 yd target size? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:32 AM
Dvsride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimfire KD 100/200 yd target size?

Hi; I was curious if someone could help me out and measure how tall and long the black is on the 100 and 200yd target? I have taken a regular Appleseed and interested in the rimfire KD. I seen them offer it in 100 & 200 yd distance and just wanna get some practice in before I attend. Same course of fire as the regular Appleseed? Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2020, 11:13 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
The black areas are:

100 yard target = 4.625" tall and 6.5" wide
200 yard target = 9.25" tall and 13" wide

Same time and positions as the 25 meter events, but only one target to shoot at (at least only one per stage) and only hits in the black count.

If you want to practice, the black on the simulated 100 yard target on a regular AQT is the same size as the 100 yard RKD target. The 200 yard RKD target is twice as big.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Dvsride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome!! I appreciate the quick reply. Now to hit the range and get my dope. Thanks again! Any other helpful tips or advice? Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
The black areas are:

100 yard target = 4.625" tall and 6.5" wide
200 yard target = 9.25" tall and 13" wide

Same time and positions as the 25 meter events, but only one target to shoot at (at least only one per stage) and only hits in the black count.

If you want to practice, the black on the simulated 100 yard target on a regular AQT is the same size as the 100 yard RKD target. The 200 yard RKD target is twice as big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2020, 07:04 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvsride View Post
Awesome!! I appreciate the quick reply. Now to hit the range and get my dope. Thanks again! Any other helpful tips or advice? Thanks a bunch!
You will want to do this with a scope, irons will prove to be painful.

You'll likely need a 20MOA base, to get the elevation required. Verify by seeing if you have enough to dial at least 27 MOA up from your 25 yard zero.

Rough comeups from my daughter's rifle, a Volquartsen lightweight THM BBL, with a Nikon EFR 3-9 Rimfire scope and Wolf Match ammo:
MV:1003 FPS

50: .75 UP
75: 3.75 Up
100: 8.5 Up
150: 16.75 Up
200: 27.0 Up

Recommend you dial to 200, then count # of full rotations down to your 25 zero, as it is easy to get confused.

Make certain your scope is level, or you will get a lot of bonus windage when dialing elevation.

It's a fun COF.

R/
Chris

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2020, 07:26 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I watched a guy try to do this with tech sights, it slows the event down, ever try moving a tech sight 25+MOA? He did not qualify, it is just too difficult.

On the scope, those ballistic reticles with hold overs are rarely accurate, but they could work....if you do some pre work and find out what the actual holdover is.

Tactical turrets (exposed turrets) are best, leave the scope turret covers (if you have them) at home or in the truck.

We shot it backwards as well. To save time, we would walk the line back from 100 to 200, then start the next AQT from 200 to 100, so....if you lose your situational awareness dialing elevation, it is really helpful to know what your 25 yard zero is in MOA or clicks with the elevation turret bottomed out.

R/
Chris

Old 11-06-2020, 03:28 AM
Dvsride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey NavyBowHunter; I appreciate the advice and tips. I’ve read several of your past post and they all are very insightful and detailed which is always a plus! If I do the 100 yd KD I think I should be good with my scope; using a crossfire 2-7x rimfire scope on a AR dedicated upper but if I do the 200 yd KD; for sure I need the 20MOA base. For the 100 or 200yd.... do you recommend a SV or HV? I’ve been using CCI SV for mainly everything I shoot
Old 11-06-2020, 07:05 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hey NavyBowHunter; I appreciate the advice and tips. Iíve read several of your past post and they all are very insightful and detailed which is always a plus! If I do the 100 yd KD I think I should be good with my scope; using a crossfire 2-7x rimfire scope on a AR dedicated upper but if I do the 200 yd KD; for sure I need the 20MOA base. For the 100 or 200yd.... do you recommend a SV or HV? Iíve been using CCI SV for mainly everything I shoot
Yeah, we only did the 200 one. SV ammo was what we used and what was recommended.

We used Wolf Match, but CCI SV should work fine.

One thing we realized was a lot of vertical stringing at 200, about 5 MOA worth. That's all ammo related.

If I were to do 200 again (or 100) with a rimfire, I'd go for a better ammo choice like Lapua Center X, this is where you get what you pay for with consistent ammo, less velocity deviation ( tighter SD).

Good luck, when is the event? Let us know how it goes.

R/
Chris

Old 11-06-2020, 08:53 PM
Dvsride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome; appreciate the tips..... honestly never used target ammo before...... only thing I’ve used/own is all bulk stuff.....CCI SV being the best I own. The rimfire shoot just passed (the one that is 100yds) and I heard we have another one (200yds ) coming soon. Honestly; wouldn’t mind trying both as to see how the ammo performs at the different distances. Thanks again for your info and took forward to your future post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybowhunter View Post
Quote:
Hey NavyBowHunter; I appreciate the advice and tips. I’ve read several of your past post and they all are very insightful and detailed which is always a plus! If I do the 100 yd KD I think I should be good with my scope; using a crossfire 2-7x rimfire scope on a AR dedicated upper but if I do the 200 yd KD; for sure I need the 20MOA base. For the 100 or 200yd.... do you recommend a SV or HV? I’ve been using CCI SV for mainly everything I shoot
Yeah, we only did the 200 one. SV ammo was what we used and what was recommended.

We used Wolf Match, but CCI SV should work fine.

One thing we realized was a lot of vertical stringing at 200, about 5 MOA worth. That's all ammo related.

If I were to do 200 again (or 100) with a rimfire, I'd go for a better ammo choice like Lapua Center X, this is where you get what you pay for with consistent ammo, less velocity deviation ( tighter SD).

Good luck, when is the event? Let us know how it goes.

R/
Chris

Old 12-20-2020, 02:56 PM
RandyIdaho
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
...For the 100 or 200yd.... do you recommend a SV or HV? Iíve been using CCI SV for mainly everything I shoot
If you can find it, try the SK Long Range Match. I have had good luck with this. More expensive than CCI Std, but I found group size with this SKI ammo to be about 50-60% of the CCI Std. I would bet the CCI green tag is in between, but it has been difficult to find over the past summer.