Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Non-Marring Punch???

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Thomasconnor 
#1 · (Edited)
Two Mark IIs. The SS Competition, I put VQ internals in. When punching out the backside of the Trigger Pin, the metal punch slipped off the rounded surface and I have a few "mars". OK. It is brushed stainless and I will try to buff/scotchbrite out.

Getting ready to put VQ internals in a Gov't Target Model. I do NOT want to mar the bluing like SS mistake.

WHAT PUNCH OR TOOL WOULD YOU USE TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING???

I will try to post pics of SS and blued gun.

Thanks. S10/22.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I use brass punches on steel gun parts where cosmetics matter.

https://www.amazon.com/SPIKA-Gun-Ca...ateway&sprefix=brass+punch&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

They're especially useful for drifting dovetails & sights.
I bought an extra pair of smaller ones and drilled a dimple in the end to help preventing slips. Brass can help reduce damage, but not prevent it-
Always keep Newton's second law in mind-

F=ma.

Hit it hard enough, and a brass punch will deform steel.

Hope this helps-

DrGunner

#3 ·
Brownells sells brass punches, but you can purchase 3/16” or 1/4” brass rod at the hardware store and make your own. You want the punch to be soft so as not to mar the finish, so why spend big bucks for something that’s gonna get beat up anyway? Brass rod also comes in handy for popping out squibs stuck in barrels or other pesky obstructions!

#5 ·
Start with soft material punches and see what happens, sometimes stuff moves just fine for me with a synthetic tip.

#11 · (Edited)
Another useful tip for smaller diameter punches. Most punches come with a long tip to push the pin all the way out of the hole maybe 3/4" or more. A much shorter punch is way better to get stubborn pins started. They don't flex. I often use a reworked nail set to get pins started moving then switch to the longer punch.

#12 ·
Cup tip punch..............

A cup tip punch is what is needed when dealing with a round ended pin like that, easy to make with a small abraisive stone is a Dremel tool. As for a non-marring soft punch bronze will not leave marks like a brass punch will. Brownell's sells bronze punches, as gunsmith I have made my own from round bronze rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.