Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Let's See Your Through the Scope Pics!

117K views 167 replies 61 participants last post by  peyton 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys there's a ton of questions on clarity, reticle style, etc... etc... that I think could be helped with a thread like this.

So here's what we need. Some really good quality through the scope pictures.

I'd say if you can do them at 50 and 100 yards in both min and max magnification, since these seem to be the most common ranges. Though farther would be good as well.

Also a breakdown of scope brand, model, and reticle style so that we know what we're looking at.

I know its not perfect and that you wont get a perfect impression of how clear the glass is but it should be good enough to give people an idea.

So what say you guys? Anyone wanna start?

#2 · (Edited)
I've done it before by setting the scope and camera on sandbags, but the trick is getting it lined up and that can be frustrating if you don't have some kind of attachment.

This was one that I took to show the trickness of the crosshairs on my Sightron, it's on 9x at about 50 yards.

Getting everything in perfect focus seems to be a trick too, as you can see the clarity of my pic is far from clear and doesn't every come close to how it looks to the eye.

With a higher quality camera and the right set-up, I'm sure better results can be obtained. :)

#6 ·
Those are pretty good pictures.

I have tried this, and never been fully satisfied with the results. You can show a reticle, but otherwise this approach doesn't seem to be a good way to compare scopes. The exit pupil needed by the camera will be different than your eye, will vary from camera to camera. Most cameras have some barrel distortion or other geometric distortion in their lens.

One thing it is useful for is looking at the chromatic aberrations of various lens/coating combos. If you position things so you can use at least 3x zoom on the camera and look at grids of black lines on white paper you will see fairly clearly any purple fringing or sometimes red-orangish fringing around those lines. This comes from the scope not focusing all three primary colors to the same point. It is one of the differences in merely good scopes, and some of the rather expensive scopes. Those better usually more expensive scopes usually have diminished fringing. Somehow I believe that contributes to them seeming very clear even if the fringing isn't directly apparent using just your eye.

If you do this with lots of zoom, you need everything very steady, and it will only work in full bright sunlight. The picture gets very dim this way. Something as simple as snapping a picture through the lens while somewhat useful isn't adequate to compare scope qualities with much precision or repeatability.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm hoping to jump start this old thread by thenewguy as taking through the scope pics has become a little more popular in the past 5 years.

So let's see some of your through the scope pics!

If you could, please specify the reticle, distance, and magnification.

Here's a favorite of mine...

Post & Crosshair at 50 yards 2.5x magnification...

A closer view...

This could be fun! :t

Thanks. :)

#9 · (Edited)
Hey!... I know that range. :)

Bushnell's Multi-X reticle, 16x, at 100 meters.

A closer view...

Nice to see that we have some vegetation now. ;)

Nikon describes the reticle as Nikoplex..looks like a simple duplex reticle.
Speaking of Nikoplex (Nikon), Multi-X (Bushnell), Dual-X (Weaver), Plex (Burris & Sightron), etc... all the other brands had their own little name for their duplex while Leupold held the patent, but I believe that it's long expired and I see that Sightron is now calling theirs a duplex instead of plex, but some of the others seem to like holding on to their own names for it.

BTW... nice pics that you posted! :bthumb:

#12 ·
It works great for plinking out to 200 yards.

The reticle is in the first focal plane and does have one quirk and that is that it looks really fine when set at 3x or 4x and in my opinion is a bit too fine for hunting at those magnifications.

Here's a couple of pics that were posted by TravisM1 from his review of this scope and the fixed 6x version that they once had.
The reticle of this scope is in the first focal plane, meaning that as you increase the magnification, the size of the reticle increases also. At 3x, the 50 yard crosshair is visible, but the hold-overs are almost invisible. At magnification levels of 5x and above, they show up clear as day.

Reticle at 3x-

Reticle at 6x-

Reticle at 9x-
Here's the entire thread...
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281487