Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Longrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PCP Scuba Tank

Need information; I have a BSA ultra and an FX hand pump. I also use two scuba tanks. The loal fire Dept will no longer fill my tanks over 2500 pounds and I wish to top them off to 3000 pounds.
I need a fitting to fit my FX hose to 1/8 FPT or a new hose to fit my pump and
go to 1/8 pipe thread. Thaks; lonrifle
Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 AM
condor22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

How old are your scuba tanks, I sure they've been hydro'ed. Joe brancato has certified tanks and high pressure air fitting for all your needs.

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/ You should read the whole page for some very good information, especially the info at the bottom of the page.

Lee.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
genericusername

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Need information; I have a BSA ultra and an FX hand pump. I also use two scuba tanks. The loal fire Dept will no longer fill my tanks over 2500 pounds and I wish to top them off to 3000 pounds.
I need a fitting to fit my FX hose to 1/8 FPT or a new hose to fit my pump and
go to 1/8 pipe thread. Thaks; lonrifle
Are they rated for 3000 psi? I apologize if that's a stupid question for you, but I taught scuba and worked retail in the industry for 7-8 years, and lots of divers didn't know what they had when they came in for an airfill.
Stamped on the shoulder your tanks should have the rated pressure, manufacturer, serial number, and date of the last time the tank was tested in a hydrostatic pressure chamber, where the tank is placed in a cylinder full of water, then pressurized with water (I forget the exact %, but I think it's 5-10% over the rated pressure) and the amount of water displaced from the containment cylinder is measured to indicate how much the tank 'flexed' while under pressure. I think this has to be done every 5 years no matter what, and I'm pretty sure it's a D.O.T. regulation. The 'o' ring on the valves should be changed at the same time, and lastly, make sure the burst disc in the valve is rated for the same pressure as the tank, and does not show signs of fatigue from over filling, like a small bump in the middle of the disc. In thousands of fills I had one burst disc failure, the tank was secure in the fill rack and didn't budge, but the air blast still blew stuff off the shelves before I got it cut off.
Sorry if that's too much info, got carried away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Longrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile scuba tanks

Thanks for your inputs. The scuba tanks in question have recently been tested and certified for 3000 psi. The fire dept has filled them several times but recently have made 2500 psi their imposed limit. I live in a small town and have no local access to people with experiance with quality air rifle shooting.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. longrifle
Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 PM
slayer6
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carbon fiber

I have a carbon fiber tank from John B.
I will never own anything but a carbon fiber for air guns again. I am scuba certified and have scuba tanks what a pain in the butt compared to Joe'd carbon fiber tank!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 PM
kwilfong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Topping up a SCUBA tank with a hand pump doesn't sound like fun!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilfong View Post
Topping up a SCUBA tank with a hand pump doesn't sound like fun!
That's for sure, sounds crazy to me...............
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Longrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile PCB Scuba tank

Point well taken; normal procedure is to pump up rifle which takes 50 -60 pumpsSome of our shooting is in a warehouse and barns killing pigeons.
topping off a scuba tank is not that bad if you consider that you are replacing
the air used in shooting. We do this by limiting the pumping to 60 at a time to prevent over heating the pump. I do this while doing other things in the shop.
Thanks for your input and if I feel the need I'll invest in a carbon fiber tank.
Alvin
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM
CraigVM62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do remember

Do remember that one of the biggest advantages of a CF tank is being able to fill it to a greater pressure, typically 4500 psi giving you a great deal more shots before needing to be filled. You may want to confirm you have a source to fill at that higher pressure before making the investment.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Longrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile PCB Scuba tank

Thank you; I had forgotten that the only source within 100 miles can only fill
to 3500 psi. For years I used a F.300 sidelever target in 17 cal. I almost bought an RWS 54, 22 caliber. Useing a 22 caliber carbine with a silencer is much better for what I,m doing now. I think I will buy a 25 caliber for larger preditors and it will probably be a side lever. longrifle
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
slayer6
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
long rifle

I have a few pcp guns and when it comes to larger critters I have a .25 Marauder I would highly recommend it considering the price range it is great!
You can take up to fox and some have taken coyote!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 AM
genericusername

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It may be that your local FD imposed that limit to save wear and tear on their compressor, ( which equals your tax dollars) that last 500 psi is harder to pump than the first 2500. I've been out of diving for awhile, are people diving a lot with CF tanks these days? They were only used for surface work, like FD gear when I was in the biz.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM
ajroz
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Filling from 4500PSI CF tank.

I've often read about using a CF tank @4500 PSI to refill PCP's. Since most current PCP's are filled to 3000PSI, how do you prevent over pressuring your airgun when using the 4500PSI tank? Is it necessary to purchase a regulator to prevent overpressure and if you do overpressure, how do you drop that pressure to the proper level? I do know that higher pressures can cause valve lock which prevents the airgun from discharging.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
CraigVM62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CF tanks and SCUBA

A couple of years ago I asked the SCUBA shop owner if he was planing on getting equipment to fill the higher pressures that FG and CF tanks can utilize. I only assumed divers would greatly benefit from them with longer dive times and lighter gear. Not being a diver, I have no idea if his answer was realistic, but he said divers depend on the weight of conventional tanks to reach neutral buoyancy, often still needing to add belt weights. Maybe genericusername can add if this is correct or not.

In our area years ago, many who had contacts with local fire departments would get their regular and higher pressure tanks filled there. That was shut down when a state wide policy went out not allowing stations filling equipment to be used for anything other than their SCBA / CABA gear. It had do to liability issues just as many scuba shops won't fill diving tanks to those who are not certified. No doubt at one point some none trained diver went out, killed themselves and a dive shop was sued. The gentleman who ran our field target program for years was a retired fire chief, he said he could not even get filled at his old station.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
slayer6
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tank weight

yes the tank weight means less lead around your belt or in your vest. I use aluminum scuba tanks and need more weight than someone with a steel tank. I also would think divers would benefit alot from the higher pressure. I am a large guy and tend to use more air than others when diving. Diving is also limited by the amount of time you can spend at certain depths (bottom time)
I use a 4500 psi carbon fiber tank to fill all my air guns to 3000-3200 psi without a regulator. I have a set up from joe b.
Joe uses very small lines and you fill air guns slowly and watch the guage on the gun. I have never had a problem. You could not walk away and leave it of course. The average fill time for an air gun is 30 seconds so it is not much of an issue of waiting.