Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Love my CZ hm2 for squirrels more every time I use it

7K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  squirrel1 
#1 · (Edited)
This setup I have really opens up more strategies for harvesting squirrels.
I can even hunt squirrels with my rig wearing blaze orange hat and vest. Hard to do with 22LR.
I can sit in my side by side and watch hillside when it’s raining or I just want to sit and watch. And have the real estate covered nicely.
I have a super high kill rate using my rig for shots fired. Head shots are the goal. A few I shot where head not exposed and wind was higher.
Folks who like to sit and watch for squirrels instead of walking and shooting them, 17hm2 good choice.
Now something else i’ll Share.
Happened too many times for coincidence.
On last 3 hunts in 3 different places hunting squirrels.
Fire the CZ and a few minutes later a buck shows up.
Had one today 8 pointer come as close as 15 ft of me.
It could be the rapport of the gun. Maybe the bucks think it’s a buck fight taking place and they go to the scene to fight or investigate.

When the leaves are off this setup is sensational for squirrels.
I have hunted during winter with 22 lr. Hard to be more successful when sky is bright using 22 lr. With hm2 if I can see squirrel I can harvest. So having more range and or having not to be so mindful of the range in question while using 22 lr, saves time, gets more squirrels, besides laser range finder can be a pain to use in the woods trying to find a detectable landmark to range squirrel. Been there and done that.
For winter time hunting of squirrels without a dog, 17hm2 is not a niche round. Rather the 22 lr is.
Now whe leaves are full on trees, 22 lr a better choice just because ammo is cheaper. Squirrels seem to scatter more with 22lr hv than they do with subsonic. And scatter more with 22lr hv vs using hm2.
After over 45 years of squirrel hunting, I have now found my rig for when leaves are off. A fun round, won’t break the bank.

Users of 17hm2 after shooting squirrel will know right away if they have hit or not. Many times squirrel will get knocked out of tree. Can’t say this about 22 lr as far as happening as often.

Folks who like to squirrel hunt in the late fall and winter and have no experience with hm2, try to find someone who has one and have a look see.
Fantastic squirrel round.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Never thought about using a 17Mach2 as a deer call, but, hey, I'll try it. I too find the 17Mach2 to be a 1st rate squirrel getter. I've boasted my longest squirrel kill at 125 yds with mine. And have killed several around 85-90 yds. But, honestly I prefer my Sako FinnFire II 17HMR for long distance midwinter squirrels. It simply more reliable at longer distances.

#3 ·
Sure if every squirrel was going to be 80 plus yards distance wise I would use hmr. But a lot of squirrels not that far. Ammo for hmr more expensive, and it makes squirrels more messy no matter where you shoot them. Noiser too.
I may get a lilja hmr barrel for my other CZ 455 receiver since lilja has them on sale. If windier I could take it vs hm2 squirrel hunting.

I had hmr before back in 2004. Sold it. Good shooter. Savage. Didn't like how clip guide stuck out bottom of gun though. I carry gun overthe top of my arm in front of trigger guard below magazine area when squirrels are out in force.

#6 ·
Hm2 a good shooting one. User has around 1.5-1.75 acres of woods active for live fire at bushy tails. Hard to do with 22 lr. Can be done but tough.
Trajectory is big advantage with hm2 vs 22 lr.

Something else that don’t get mentioned much.
Another advantage is smaller diameter bullet vs 22 lr. Meaning less chance of bullet deflection on tight shots through limbs and twigs. The flatter trajectory also helps with this too. Longer shots with 22 lr persons looking through scope bullet path farther above line of sight hence harder to gauge if limbs, etc are in the path of bullet.
Hm2 is more of a needle threader in the woods.
For most squirrel ranges in woods hmr trajectory really offers no advantage. For wind though hmr does offer some advantage.
I am not seeing many messy squirrels shot with hm2. Big difference here vs hmr.
My ammo of choice (gun likes) is the cci 17 grain vmax.
Shot a squirrel yesterday at 60 yards. Head shot though eye and exited neck. No mess at all.
Numbers of harvested squirrels with my rig are adding up. I even use during deer season. Some folks around here are having a hadprd time understanding. I like squirrel hunting.

#7 ·
I certainly understand your attraction to squirrel hunts. Squirrels are my favorite game animal to chase. Shooting a deer is a rush for sure as are coyotes, but that usually means one shot. With squirrels I get to shoot quite a bit and an infinite variety of shots. Prairie dogs are the best for lots of shooting, hence, my favorite varmint. I've shot 22LR , 17Mach2 and 17HMR a lot. Spring and early fall squirrels bring out my Remington 5451S or my Mauser 201 Lux, both fine 22LRs. Later the Anschutz 1502 17Mach2 gets the nod and later still the Sako FinnFire II 17HMR is my preferred rifle of choice. With all of them, head shots are the goal. Because I shoot and hunt a lot I've learned to wait for the right shot. No one will honestly claim to make only head shots. but even if I hit slightly back of the head with a 17HMR, most of the best meat can be easily salvaged. No matter the gun, squirrels are a blast to hunt.

#8 ·
I favor the .22 LR for squirrels. It is quieter with standard velocity ammo and is generally more accurate within its 50-60 yd range. The accuracy advantage being due to ammo variety, particularly the premium stuff.

The M2 and HMR definitely have superior ballistics and potential range, but accuracy can be a limiting factor. Especially when taking head shots. Ammo consistency is an issue with the .17s.

Long shots are fun and challenging. I have made some 90-100 yard shots with my HMR, but generally luck and could have easily closed the distance on most of those opportunities. Even with leaves down, I can usually get within 50 yards.

I bought a suppressor a couple years ago and that really ended the debate for me. New world with subsonic ammo. Not uncommon to get 2-3 squirrels per set.

#9 · (Edited)
When leaves are off and one is walking trying to set up on squirrels.
Hm2 and hmr are definitely better cs 22lr in my neck of the woods.
When bright squirrels see movement.
Getting writhing 50 can be tough.
Now, the only thing you have to guard against using either the hm2 or hmr are the shots say 15 yards and closer. Aim a little high on head and good nite Irene.
Here’s where the 22 lr suffers.
One can zero say at 45 or 50 yards on level ground.
What happens when you elevate gun say 20 plus degrees.
Big change in trajectory.
Assuming even no shooter error.
Hm2 and hmr better here as they as less affected. Still affected though.
Hard to get 22 lr to have a flat enoug trajectory with a selected zero distance.
Sure I can take my Annie even with this elchepao geco ammo and lay waste to squirrels out to 70 yards. Gotta know the range though. 3or 4 yards error in distance judged big deal. Hmr and Hm2 no big deal at all.

As far as accuracy.
I am not having any problems with my rifle. Does it shoot one hole always ? Nope.
Shoots tight though. In the 3/4 to 1 inch dept at 100 yards.
Squirrel head a 3/4 group will nail most.

The shock wave of the little vmax hurst squirrels moreso than 22 lr standard velocity even using hollow points.

I have spent countless hours bagging squirrels with 22 lr. Some of these 22 lr guns were what I consider premium to near premium stock. Sake finnfire Annies Kimbers.

60 yards with little wind is head busting time with my hm2. No problem if I can see the head. I have harvested many squirrels already with leaves off out to 75 yards. Headshots too on many.

My CZ 455 with lilja hm2 barrel ain’t going anywhere. I witnessed what I did with this first hm2 lilja barrel, I liked it so much for performance I bought a second. At the time lilja only had a group buy going on and I bought one fo the spares they made along with a barrel as part of group buy. Looks like now they are keeping them in stock for folks to purchase. I have varmint sporter contour. What I recommend for squirrel hunters. Keeps weight down vs the bull barrel setup. My second barrel still in the box and hasn’t been shot. I did unbox and look at barrel to insure it was hm2 barrel. It was.

Now when it is raining or drizzling rain (darker sky) I can lots of times get closer to squirrels and a 22lr would suffice. But with brighter sky one is limited moreso to just hunting early in the morning in Or late in the evening with sky darker so one can get in range of squirrels.

Shooting one hill to the other I do a lot using hm2 on squirrels. The terrain won’t allow me to sneak very well so getting the longer distance advantage helps a lot.
Shooting squirrels with either hmr or hm2 at longer distances squirrels don’t even know what is happening. A hunter just needs to keep finding more squirrels to shoot as the ones shot fall prey.

Taking rest on trees, lots of times there are no trees that are convenient using 22. Better odds of finding a workable tree with hm2 due to flatter trajectory.

All I can say. My hm2 is a super dynamite setup. That IHR reticle in the Night Force scope super imposes very little. Squirrel head stands out like Christmas tree lights.

I have headshot squirrels (intentionally)using ihr reticle with scope Maxed At 10x on the mag at 125/126 yards.
If I had hmr barrel it would be nice to have 12x on the mag on my scope as I could likely pull off some 150 yard headshots on squirrels.
The bigger mag Nightforce scopes are lot heavier than my compact model NXS. Good tradeoff if you ask me. I am going on 58 years old. Getting older and don’t need to pack too much weight. Do like enough weight in gun to help steady it though.

Another advantage of hm2 over 22 lr subsonic.
Time of flight.
A squirrel can move at the last split second without warning.
Odds are hm2 would hit more than 22 lr both subsonic and hv.
I shoot a lot of squirrels when they stop for a split second vs perched up and eating.

Last here.
One more advantage for hm2 over 22 lr.
Related to time of flight for cartridge in barrel to just outside of barrel.
Wonder if we did a test.
For a less than stellar shot with rifle.
With all other things being equal - same gun, same trigger.
Which gun hm2 or 22 lr would be the more forgiving to get in the bullseye or close to bulls eye? For s person who has less than stellar trigger execution.
Now when I the wild hunting, a hunter is removed from a shooting bench. The hunter has to make do with what they have at their disposal. Meaning situation p/condition less than perfect. And all this can effect shot quality/trigger execution.
So it seems hm2 just might turn a less than perfect situation odds wise into a successful hit odds wise vs 22 lr subsonic.
It has for me. I know this for sure.

#10 ·
This could be another advantage hm2 brings over 22lr.
Been paying attention to the vudoo rifle with its controlled round feed magazine.
So, does your repeater 22lr scar bullets when feeding using bolt?
Maybe.
The shape of the hm2 bullet is smaller and shaped differently and has copper jacket.
Not softer lead.
So could hm2 feed rounds without damage to bullet vs 22 lr thus keeping accuracy more intact?
I think so.

#11 ·
Still loving this setup I have.
One can go squirrel hunting and never leave the inside of their side by side vehicle.
Take a shooting stick and bombs away. Park where you can see. Even on bench fields on sides of hillls.
One thing I should mention here. I do bow hunt. Hence I hate laser rangefinders that have over 4 x on the magnification. For using hm2 with leaves off, I like a 6x mag laser better. One can see the gaps in the limbs better and get more accurate readings at more distant landmarks.
Touched the trigger today on a busy tail. After smoking the rascal laser showed 80.5 yards.
The hm2 round with lilja barrel in CZ 455 is a mean machine on squirrels.

Last here.
I have used hmr on squirrels before, back in 2004-2006. I can say definitely hm2 is easier on ears when fired with NO ear protection. HmR, I remember it will definitely ring one’s ears.
This comparison btw both hm2 and hmr had close to same length barrels, in the 20.5” department.

More bushy tail hunting through 29 Feb 2020 when season closes.
Sniper squirrel rig.
Had a grey squirrel today I saw at a lasered 93.5 yards never got a shot.
Some folks may think squirrels can’t be found, located, or seen at those distances.
I can do pretty easily.
Fox squirrels I can see quite a bit farther.

Cheers.

#13 · (Edited)
Looks like if a person has CZ455 or CZ 457 in 22 lr. There are at least 3 companies making hm2 barrels for these models.

There have been a few other models introed by other manufacturers not so long ago.
I don't think the cartridge has gone by the wayside any longer. Ammo shortage some time back did negatively affect.

Granted the cost of the round likely doesn't make it a good choice for a practice round for many. I don't use mine to practice much. I just use my other CZ in 22 lr or Annie in 22 lr to practice. Shooting at 80 yard squirrels using lr rifle (unlasered) is tough to do. Elevation of 22 lr as far as flight is critical at such distance. I laser some of my shots after the fact sometimes. For three reasons. Reporting, piece of mind, and just to see how close I judged the distance on the fly. To be honest. Once distanced gets to around 85 yards one has to hold a little high or dial scope up a smidge with my setup. And the way squirrel is positioned can play a part too. Using 22 lr, at say 80.5 yards one might be dialing up somewhere around 5-6 moa. . Not to mention bullet path of 22 lr is so arced one could have a tough time gauging if they indeed have an open shot (bullet path) to squirrels through the limbs. The 80.5 yard shot I pulled off yesterday was done shooting through a maze of small limbs. I could indeed see a clearer path line of sight (through scope). The 17 hm2 round certainly follows more closely this line of sight vs 22lr at that distance.

#14 ·
Back in 2011, I was reluctant to purchase a CZ rifle and more so concerning one chambered in the .17 Mach2. Sixty plus squirrel later all of that vanished and now I have CZitis and own two other rifles in this caliber. It is the ultimate tree squirrel caliber.

#15 · (Edited)
Another bushy tail bit the bullet today. Distance checked after plugged, a laser distance of 92 yards, wind calm. I use cci vmax 17 grainers in my rig.
Seventy-five yard zero used to pluck squirrel.. Shooting angle approx +25 degrees up on side of hill (lasered 92 yards later) . Nice shot placement behind shoulder.

#18 ·
17HM2 is the best tree squirrel round that has yet to be introduced.

I mostly shoot a Marlin 917M2S, but will take out the Anschutz 1502 and Reminton 504 if the weather is nice and the ground is dry.

I wish that more people would come to appreciate the 17HM2's flatter than the .22 Long Rifle trajectory, making it easier to make those longer shot and extend the danger zone for tree rats everywhere.

In the 30 years that I've hunted fox squirrels in Nebraska I've only run across a hand full of other squirrel hunters. Most people seem to think that it is a waste of time, too much effort for too little meat, but I do it for the sport and so that Mepps has enough squirrel tails to keep making spinners.

#19 ·
Been making some nice headshots through limbs and brush. Little openings seen through scope and boom = dead squirrel. Yardages of between 55 and 90 yards.
Wind here has been light and forecast next few days winds supposed to be still light.
Love this rig I have.

#20 ·
Knocked off a few squirrels today with hm2 rig I have.
Late this afternoon.
Found one perched up slightly above woods floor.
Got lined up on him and he jumped down.
Then he jumped back up.
Lined him up.
Boom.
Dead squirrel.
Laser used after shot. Range estimate using two nearest trees range approx 108-110 yards.
Never knew what hit him.
Again a shot I had to wrestle with gun and shooting stick and it was tight through the limbs.
75 yards zero worked on him. Up steep grade of approx 40 degrees.
Tail wind slight.

#22 ·
Knocked off couple more young bushy tails this morning. Distances of 75 and 80 yards. Back of head shots.
This setup I am using is a strip miner for squirrels.
More hunts coming, better hunts cause deer season will close soon.

If I can see squirrel it’s in big trouble with this rig.

#23 ·
Three more bushy tails bagged.
Missed one this morning at 80 yards. Shot looked nearly impossible with the twigs and limbs in scope.. I have been making these shots though. When I touched the trigger the squirrel moved real fast. Likely touched him a tad.

The 3 squirrels today all headshot.

#24 ·
Been busting more bushy tails daily with my rig.
Yesterday torched one at 105 yards on the laser.

Today raining hunted off then porch. Squirrels eating bodark apples heavy here.
Gave a little exhibition with my rig today to a friend.
First squirrel was estimated 110 yards. Didn’t laser until after the shot.
One shot dropped in his tracks. Laser showed 114 yards. I did dial up 2 clicks on the night force scope.
Next shot was at an estimated 87 yards. Only dialed up one click. Boom, squirrel jumped straight up in the air then run behind cedar tree. Didn’t know of I got him or not. Turns out I did. Laser showed 94 yards. Bullet did come in below where I was holding slightly.
Love this rig.
Dream combo for me when leaves are off.
Bipod used on the 2 shots above. Little wind but was raining moderately when the shots were fired.

#26 ·
Still putting notches on my rig busting squirrels.
Seems to shoot pretty good on colder barrel too.
Making some good headshots at longer ranges right out the gate on hunts.
Drilled back of head today on one at 81 yards. Little wind temp around 60F.
Some good wx coming soon for squirrel hunting and deer season will be CLOSED!!

#27 · (Edited)
Still cranking out squirrels with my baby.
Yesterday connected on one at 155 yards. Dialed for 150 yards though had some angle up being shot. Raised scope 4 moa.

Connected with 2 more today back to back at 162 yards. Dialed up 4.5 moa with some angle being shot. Slight tail wind on both shots.

Loving this rig.

Used binoculars to find the squirrels in trees near open pasture.
Grey squirrels too not fox squirrels.
Loads of young squirrels in the woods. They are sharp eyesd critters too. They are seeing me in the woods with camo at long distances. Like around 80-100 yards. They are fidgety critters. When you get a shot you got to be quick. Sticks and bushes can get in the way too. Seems the young squirrels like to sit just so branches/bushes block them feom chicken hawk attacks.
Got 3 of my usual customers fixed up with young squirrels dressed and frozen.
Have 2 more customers.
Have one about half done,
So after this one only one left.
I refer to them as customers, they don’t pay a single thing.
I do what I do to repay landowners for letting me hunt their property during deer and squirrel season. I also control pest on these same farms. Free of charge too.
Love the hm2.
Not overly expensive to shoot.
And DOESN’T ring my ears like centerfire and 17 hmr do!!!

#28 ·
long shots on the tree squirrels

how do you FIND them after getting them out that far?? I sometimes have trouble finding them in the leaves when they drop 50 yards off..... that's mostly why my shots are that far and under.
I think the leaves and ground litter here is too dense for my eyesight to pick them out easily.

#29 ·
how do you FIND them after getting them out that far?? I sometimes have trouble finding them in the leaves when they drop 50 yards off..... that's mostly why my shots are that far and under.
I think the leaves and ground litter here is too dense for my eyesight to pick them out easily.
I find them by picking a landmark. Like shape of tree or kind of tree. Landscape like ditch, knob. Really anything that stands out.

Now some times and this happened years ago when I used hmr to hunt squirrels with leaves off. I would shoot some squirrels like 100 yards in the woods. From one hill to the other across holler. As I would go down the hill a some times would spot more squirrels and bang. And going up the other side of hill spot a few more and bang. Once you got say 8 or so squirrels shot and on the ground. Younfind one you'll find the rest. Squirrels tend to group together in the winter when leaves are off- food supply generally causes.

#32 · (Edited)
Not a good day at squirrel hunting. Only bagged 1.
Was sitting in my side by side around some bodark trees. Squirrels are eating them up here. Anyway I spot a sycamore tree with those balls on it. Laser reported 86 yards to tree. Up in tree actually quite a ways. Using shooting stick and resting elbow on sterring wheel. Some light wind blowing. Fired 5 shots with holding dead on. Hit the sycamore balls every time. 3 of the 5 the balls detonated on impact. The other 2 remained intact but did move when rifle fired. Could see a small trench cut on them in scope. Just did this for gee whiz. Good representative target of squirrel head. I had just cleaned the barrel too with 4 foulers fired foru fouler shots earlier this morning. Making these shots with a sporter 22 lr would not be easy imo. Granted lasering them would definitely help a person know how to hold or adjust scope on 22 lr.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.