Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:04 AM
source3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope elevation issues with vx-1 and H001

First post and want to say and thanks for wealth of information.

I search numerous forums and could not find an answer. I have a Henry lever action .22 (H001) and a new Leupold vx-1 2-7 33mm. The gun shop bore sighted the scope and when I got to the range I could not adjust the elevation higher. At 25 yrds shooting 2 inches low. The elevation was maxed out. This was using the Millet rings (see below list). Went back to the gun shop and they installed the Weaver rings. Bore sighted and no more elevation height available to bore sight. They also tried another scope and no additional elevation height available. I began to get frustrated so I went home to collect my thoughts and ordered the Leupold rings recommend on the Henry website. Had a gunsmith mount the rings and scope. Went outside to shoot and again, 2 inches low at 25 yards. However, I was able to adjust left/right.

I have read other people using vx-1 on their H001 but it seams that with the rings I tried something should work. I will call Leopold next week; perhaps the scope is defective. Which would mean that the second scope the gun shop tried to bore siight was also defective (highly unlikely).

Rings used:
  1. First set of rings were Millet. Sorry, do not know which model.
  2. Second set of rings were the Weaver Off 49819
  3. The third set was the Leoupold 54289 (medium) that Henery recommends

I anyone using the vx-1 with the above rings successfully? Just collecting comments in preparation for calling Leupold. Shooting with the iron sites is fine.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:12 AM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Throw another scope on there first to see if that solves the problem. It will answer the question about the scope at least. Then it would be time to contact Henry. Could be possible barrel to receiver misalignment. Had the same problem w a used Marlin 39A; however, in my case I ran out of windage due to a bent receiver/barrel. Burris makes rings that have spacers to adjust for elevation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRAX5OLtJE

Last edited by alum572; 09-03-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by source3 View Post
I search numerous forums and could not find an answer. I have a Henry lever action .22 (H001) and a new Leupold vx-1 2-7 33mm. The gun shop bore sighted the scope and when I got to the range I could not adjust the elevation higher. At 25 yrds shooting 2 inches low. The elevation was maxed out. This was using the Millet rings (see below list). Went back to the gun shop and they installed the Weaver rings. Bore sighted and no more elevation height available to bore sight. They also tried another scope and no additional elevation height available. I began to get frustrated so I went home to collect my thoughts and ordered the Leupold rings recommend on the Henry website. Had a gunsmith mount the rings and scope. Went outside to shoot and again, 2 inches low at 25 yards. However, I was able to adjust left/right.

Sorry to hear about this,source3.

I'm a little confused about the part where They also tried another scope and no additional elevation height available.; not sure what that means.

But yes, try another scope, then contact henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 08:04 AM
source3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun shop set another scope they had in stock on top of the rings. Their second scope (not a vx-1) would not bore sight either. The elevation was maxed out. The bore sight laser was 2 inches low with the second scope too. I have a Leupold vx-3i on my other riffle I may try. But first I will put the iron sights back on and make sure it is not the riffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post

Sorry to hear about this,source3.

I'm a little confused about the part where They also tried another scope and no additional elevation height available.; not sure what that means.

But yes, try another scope, then contact henry

Last edited by source3; 09-03-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:50 AM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by source3 View Post
Gun shop set another scope they had in stock on top of the rings. Their second scope (not a vx-1) would not bore sight either. The elevation was maxed out. The bore sight laser was 2 inches low with the second scope too. I have a Leupold vx-3i on my other riffle I may try. But first I will put the iron sights back on and make sure it is not the riffle.
How would checking the iron sights tell you anything about the receiver to barrel fit? In factory position, the open sights are both attached to the barrel; the rear notch is not on the receiver. Please clarify. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:53 AM
source3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah, just noticed this. I will swap scopes between my two rifles and see what happens with the elevation adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
How would checking the iron sights tell you anything about the receiver to barrel fit? In factory position, the open sights are both attached to the barrel; the rear notch is not on the receiver. Please clarify. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would first swap the position of the rings, front to back but since the problem persists with different rings that likely won't be of any help. From here it sounds like there is an alignment issue between the receiver cover and the barrel. I did briefly use a VX-I 2-7x33 Leupold on my H001T with some cheap tip-off rings and didn't experience the problem you're having. If you haven't already, remove the receiver cover, kind of brush everything out (or give everything a good cleaning and light lube since you have the cover off) then replace the cover and see if the situation changes. If not, call Henry. They WILL take care of you to your complete satisfaction, that's just the way they are.

If you decide not to let Henry fix the problem your best solution will be the Burris Signature rimfire rings with a set of the Pos-Align inserts. The standard replacement insert set will give you 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 MOA of elevation offset, one of those combinations will fix your issue. But I would let Henry fix it first. Who knows, they might send you a cap or coffee mug for your trouble.