The Great Peep Sight Experiment..... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Great Peep Sight Experiment.....

Glenn (Fallrun) and I are in the process of experimenting with peep sights, his CZ Lux, and my CZ Trainer.
We both now have a Williams FP rear sight, but they come stock with the large aperture hunting sight. Glenn ordered a couple of different replacement disks, but the 1" diameter target disk with the .050" hole will not "properly" fit because our sights mount so low to the receiver.
We are going to try a couple different alternatives, one is a disk made by Marbles that is .750" in diameter with a .032" hole, and the other will be to retro fit the 1" Williams disk so it clears the receiver, but this will require a little mechanical engineering on our part, and it won't easily change out once installed.....

We'll keep you all posted on our results over the next couple of weeks.....
Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
no pics?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Bladeswitcher
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Sounds like you need a Merit Disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
or a merit badge.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Use of peep sights

Keep in mind, a smaller hole does not necessarily yield more accuracy. Your eye will naturally self center. Your eye needs the extra light from a large opening and I am not talking a ghost ring. Lots of info on this subject written 150 to 75 years ago by the best shooters of the day.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is true David, and one of the reasons the Marble's sight with the .032" hole is out, and I'll be going with the .050" sight, plus if it doesn't allow my eyes to focus I can always open up the hole with a drill bit....
I'm more interested in having the larger black-out area around the sight hole, than I'am in having too small a sight hole.....

Clem....there's no pic's because Glenn just ordered the aperture disks yesturday from Midway, it'll take a week just to get them in. I'll be sure to do a photographic essay of the project when I get my hands on the......
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cool Large blacked out area ?

Tony, looking at your picture I would think you could just cut a hole in your eye patch and let the rest of it serve the purpose.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Bobby Ironsights

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Apparently the real dedicated sportsman use duck tape and blue plastic.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
thats a pretty poor excuse for not posting a pic. If nothing else you could post a pic of you only holding a rifle and wearing an eye patch.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Bobby Ironsights

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tony Mig said
I'm more interested in having the larger black-out area around the sight hole, than I'am in having too small a sight hole.....

This is photo of a national level competitor who had the exact same problem, too much light around the peep sight on his anshutz (a very beat up anshutz with a homemade stock) and the makeshift solution that seems to be working for him, because he's using it in competition, and it's obviously been on there awhile (dirty)

sorry about the whitespace.

Last edited by Bobby Ironsights; 10-07-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:10 AM
FallRun
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tone,
I shall have our Midway order in my grubby little fingers on Friday, so I'll have it with me when I see you on Saturday at the range...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
FallRun
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Tony, looking at your picture I would think you could just cut a hole in your eye patch and let the rest of it serve the purpose.
Those are not eye patches David.... Those are 2 empty sockets where Tony's eyes used to be, and that is why he has such difficulty with his sight picture. I keep telling him that, but he doesn't believe me so... just let him go. He'll eventually figure out he has no eyes... I hope..
Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Tony Mig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just remember Spanky, this weekend it's your turn to go down range and change the targets.........
Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tony, I put a .750" diameter aperture on my 44US and had it built with a .030" aperture hole. Even in the Arizona sun it didn't let in enough light and it was terribly hard for me to see through. I went back to the factory aperture that comes stock at .043". That seems to work perfectly. I might have one made that is a 1" diameter with a .040 hole though.

Check out Apertures and More for all your peep sight needs. It is run by one of our forum members, JRH. He helps us Mossberg guys out a lot, but as you can see he has sight parts for a lot more than just Mossys.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Drills work great...

I have had very good luck with getting drills to open up the peep to what works best.