Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:07 AM
singleshotcajun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Look for CDNN or Bud's to buy the remaining inventory of MK III's . Everything I read shows the MK IV frames to be entirely milled. Surely the frames are investment cast then milled only where needed. Ruger perfected investment casting and the result was quality parts at a cheaper price. I'm confused about the manufacture of the frames. If moving away from stamped frames I would think for Ruger investment casting would a natural.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 AM
M0833937

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
What ammo are you using?
Federal automatch
Never had issues with it before.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:24 PM
cableguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to hear there's some issues with yours.
Even the finest companies will have some kinks with new products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 05:25 PM
BKDinTexas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot my Mark IV Hunter today. 100 rds CCI 36 gr Mini-Mag. Off a rest, 10 shots into 1.25" at 25 yards. No malfunctions or misfires.

The only problem was, with the rear sight cranked all the way down, it was still 2 to 2.5 inches high at 25. Needs a taller front sight. I will be calling Ruger toorrow morning. But I will probably put a red dot on this one since it shoots so well. I like it!
Old 10-02-2016, 06:34 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Another 450 rounds through my Target. Not as many FTEs, but still a bothersome number, perhaps five. I was surprised that it occurred using Minimags.

Started with a scope mounted. A cheap Long Eye Relief NCStar 2-7X. At 7x the ground shakes unmercifully, even with a rest. The trigger is not well adapted to this type of shooting.

I can detect the slightest movement in the lower/upper assembly. Really have to look for it.

Could not zero my Reflex sight. Ran out of elevation. Tried shimming it to no avail.

This is a shame, because the plates were falling pretty quick using holdover, with the Reflex. Must fix this.

The screw at the take down pivot point is loose again. Needs Loctite.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:48 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKDinTexas View Post
Shot my Mark IV Hunter today. 100 rds CCI 36 gr Mini-Mag. Off a rest, 10 shots into 1.25" at 25 yards. No malfunctions or misfires.

The only problem was, with the rear sight cranked all the way down, it was still 2 to 2.5 inches high at 25. Needs a taller front sight. I will be calling Ruger toorrow morning. But I will probably put a red dot on this one since it shoots so well. I like it!
to RFC and the brand ~NEW~ Ruger Mark IV forum. It's very obvious that you are well aware of how your new pistol should be "seasoned" with high velocity ammunition (CCI Mini-Mags) before you go to the .22 rimfire Standard ammunition. After a "break-in period" your pistol will handle standard and high velocity .22 rimfire ammunition equally as well.

It's too bad Ruger chose to use the rear sight blade that they did for these new pistols. There have been quite a few of the Ruger Mark III Hunter owners who have gone with the more congenial "U" notch rear blade, so that may be something you might want to consider. That rear sight notch will give you a bit more of adjustment in the direction you want to go.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:51 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My somewhat limited experience with MK series pistols and failure to extract and light or no firing pin marks has to do with a dirty chamber. The ones I had, had pretty tight chambers. They will get dirty.....22s are blowback operated and if there is too much drag on the case in the chamber...no ejection. Likewise..there is only so much energy to chamber a round......if the chamber is dirty a round might not feed properly....won't fully seat due to the dirt and if a round won't seat it will give when struck resulting in a light strike and if not seated even more....the bolt face won't be tight against the rim. M1911
Old 10-02-2016, 06:57 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
My somewhat limited experience with MK series pistols and failure to extract and light or no firing pin marks has to do with a dirty chamber. The ones I had, had pretty tight chambers. They will get dirty.....22s are blowback operated and if there is too much drag on the case in the chamber...no ejection. Likewise..there is only so much energy to chamber a round......if the chamber is dirty a round might not feed properly....won't fully seat due to the dirt and if a round won't seat it will give when struck resulting in a light strike and if not seated even more....the bolt face won't be tight against the rim. M1911
These new Mk IVs are so easy to clean, this should not be an issue. Really. It's just THAT easy.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM
BKDinTexas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
to RFC and the brand ~NEW~ Ruger Mark IV forum. It's very obvious that you are well aware of how your new pistol should be "seasoned" with high velocity ammunition (CCI Mini-Mags) before you go to the .22 rimfire Standard ammunition. After a "break-in period" your pistol will handle standard and high velocity .22 rimfire ammunition equally as well.

It's too bad Ruger chose to use the rear sight blade that they did for these new pistols. There have been quite a few of the Ruger Mark III Hunter owners who have gone with the more congenial "U" notch rear blade, so that may be something you might want to consider. That rear sight notch will give you a bit more of adjustment in the direction you want to go.
Thank you. Gonna call Ruger. I don't know that they have a higher front sight available, and I really like the fiber optic.

If they don't, I might ask for a traditional u notch rear sight, as I am not crazy about the v notch. Other than zero problem though, I sure can't complain about how it grouped. That 1.23 inch was shooting briskly, and I believe it will do better with better sights and a little more care on the trigger.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:52 PM
cableguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've changed out the v-notch on my Hunter III years ago. For some reason, I cannot shoot the lollipop style setup for my type of shooting.
To me, lollipop is great for quick acquisition but I find square notch way more consistent and accurate.

Last edited by cableguy; 10-02-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can anyone confirm what the takedown button is made from? Plastic, Aluminum, Steel?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:41 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKDinTexas View Post
Thank you. Gonna call Ruger. I don't know that they have a higher front sight available, and I really like the fiber optic.

If they don't, I might ask for a traditional u notch rear sight, as I am not crazy about the v notch. Other than zero problem though, I sure can't complain about how it grouped. That 1.23 inch was shooting briskly, and I believe it will do better with better sights and a little more care on the trigger.
Unfortunately, if you call Ruger, you're gonna get a person sitting in front of a computer who only looks for part numbers and never has the information you need. I do have some higher front sights and I also stock the rear notch sight blades, in the normal and in the white outline versions. The higher front sights are not on my web-site, but if you want to discuss those, please contact me at [email protected]. Mention your RFC screen name (BKDinTexas)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 AM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good question.

I watched a utube and the presenter showed the parts and the camera focused on that part and it looked plastic. My wife even commented.

Caution--that don't make it plastic. It was black but al or steel could also be black.

Im watching for the answer.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Snowwolfe
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
I've changed out the v-notch on my Hunter III years ago. For some reason, I cannot shoot the lollipop style setup for my type of shooting.
To me, lollipop is great for quick acquisition but I find square notch way more consistent and accurate.
Same here. I find it more difficult to get acceptable accuracy with the fiber optic sights. But on another note when I buy a Mark IV it will most likely wear a red dot so the type of irons on it will not matter.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
They did? That's very interesting. How did you determine that? I've been doing chamber casts of Ruger Mark pistols for quite a long time now. I initially used CERROSAFE until I found a better product called "Facsimile" to check chamber dimensions on early Standards, Mark I, II, III and 22/45 chambers along with a whole bunch of .22 rimfire rifle chambers. Like the casting below. Every chamber I checked, even the Mark II Government Model "roller-burnished" chamber, for a finer finish and more consistent diameter, didn't have a "special" chamber. All were cut to SAAMI specifications. I've even used this casting as a gauge, rather than cast another on a few rare instances.

Failures to extract have several causes, mechanical operation, poor maintenance, cartridge case diameter in front of the rim, weak springs, but cleanliness is the main one. If the chamber is too tight, cartridges may not even feed into the chamber. I'd sure like to inspect a pistol like that.