Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0833937 View Post
Took my Mark iv hunter out for the first time an hour ago. 120 rounds of federal auto match. 1 fte and 2 didn't strike the round?????? Never had that happen before. Overall I love this gun and plan and on sending a few hundred more rounds down range tomorrow. Mine shoots high even with the rear sight bottomed out and a 6 o clock hold. I'm going to shim the front sight tonight. The trigger is definitely different. It's a tad better than the Mark iii. It's a longer pull, much more consistent, but it's heavier than 22 plinkster says. I'll give some more thoughts after I put more rounds through it tomorrow.
I dont know if any of this will apply to your gun. I was able to zero at 25 yards my MKIII hunter shooting cci mini-mag 36gr hp. Never had a failure with those either. I had a Ruger revolver that shot hi and Ruger sent me a higher front blade for free. I did have a part number which was good the lady at the other end had no clue. But I told her what I needed and why and she said it would go out the next day.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:58 PM
M0833937

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I went ahead and shimmed the front sight. I see how it goes tomorrow. If it doesn't help enough then I'll give them a call. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:27 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How much did you shim it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 08:51 AM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The AR-15 platform has these issues, and it's one of the most accurate semi auto rifle platforms out there. Plus it's a .22 L.R. All but recoilless.
I don't exactly agree. With the upper secured in a vise it won't affect accuracy, but secure the lower in a vise, which is similar to a rifle is actually held, and it will not group well. Shooting with a sling the shooter uses tension to remove the play.

I think you will have trouble finding a competitive bench rest shooter with a sloppy fitting upper and lower that isn't wedged.
Like factory ARs factory guns should not have a problem. If VQ wants to make a competition accurate upper they may have to add a nylon set screw as one company uses on their ARs. I would be surprised if it was necessary though.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:00 AM
M0833937

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
How much did you shim it?
You know the clear plastic packages that cheap scopes are packaged in? I cut 4 small pieces off. Placed two on both the front and back of the front sight. I put some lock tite on the screw and cinched her down. Can't even tell it's their but it did elevate the front sight a bit. I'll let you know if it was enough.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:52 PM
singleshotcajun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
About the fit and beta tester stuff. I'm less worried about Ruger than other companies. Ruger has few recalls and is great about making things right with customers. Thanks for the report, I was just curious about the fit with the new style.I cannot stand play in a competition AR, I have two that I have bedded as prescribed by the US Army rifle team, zero slop and you must remove the upper vertically, those two shoot really good scores. My MKIII 22/45 has a little slop in the fit but shoots great.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:30 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KY Gun Co has all kinds of Ruger MK IIIs for sale. Some very reasonably priced. Somewhere there is a site that monitors all the gun shops and keeps track of the best deals. You order one, free shipping, no tax...have it sent to your local gun shop with a FFL, pay them $20 or so and go shooting......at least it works that way here. M1911
Old 10-01-2016, 07:31 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a beauty Brent....only two problems....I don't have one and you now have no excuse for missing the 10 ring. M1911
Old 10-01-2016, 07:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
That's a beauty Brent....only two problems....I don't have one and you now have no excuse for missing the 10 ring. M1911
Thanks! I'm sure the gun can do it, but plenty of reasons the shooter might miss. It sure is nice to own a Ruger MK again. New and improved at that!

Brent
Old 10-01-2016, 08:59 PM
mk2nut
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Comparisons

I just have to comment on some earlier posts about how good the S&W Victory is. To me it is the ugliest and oddest shaped pistol that I have ever seen. I'll stick to Rugers!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:13 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Thanks! I'm sure the gun can do it, but plenty of reasons the shooter might miss. It sure is nice to own a Ruger MK again. New and improved at that!

Brent
Sure like the pictures of your hunter Brent. I had a MKII government model and sold it because I could not tear it down and reassemble it. BIG MISTAKE! Decided to have a Ruger again since they made them easier to tear down. My stainless target should be here maybe Monday at the latest Tuesday.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ruger rep said they stopped making Mk IIIs three months ago. No more Mk IIIs.

No plans for a threaded Mk IV until the Mk IV 22/45 is released. The 22/45 will definately be released, soon.

He's going to fix the torque problems on the machinery at the factory to ensure that all of the screws are properly torqued on the new Mk IVs.

I've mounted a scope to my Mk IV Target, and will shoot it from the rest tomorrow.
I'm not the best bench shooter, especially with a pistol. I'm not even very good, but I'll have some measure of the pistol's ability, I hope.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:29 PM
jason_garvin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2nut View Post
I just have to comment on some earlier posts about how good the S&W Victory is. To me it is the ugliest and oddest shaped pistol that I have ever seen. I'll stick to Rugers!
I with you, ha I couldn't get one either just doesn't look right. But I think the Marks are all sexy, and haven't managed to blow one up yet. And to be honest I have always enjoyed tear downs, cleaning and re-assembly on the Marks.

Jason Garvin
Old 10-01-2016, 10:43 PM
M0833937

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put another 150 rounds thru my hunter today. 1 fte one light strike. I tried to shim the front sight, but could get it high enough......guess I'm calling Ruger Monday.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:07 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0833937 View Post
I put another 150 rounds thru my hunter today. 1 fte one light strike. I tried to shim the front sight, but could get it high enough......guess I'm calling Ruger Monday.
What ammo are you using?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.