Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:23 AM
mykdee
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
I have a feeling the Mark IV's are going to be a lot like the Ruger SR-1911 for the first year or so, as far as availability. Simply because everyone and their brother wants one. They'll be "Allocated", (i.e. hard to get), and overpriced. Except for a few small local gun shops. Then after all the hoopla wears off, they'll be everywhere with reduced street prices that are typically Ruger.
I work for a small FFL and know quite a few local FFL owners also. All of us will be getting shipments in this week. These will be know where near as hard to find as the SR-1911's were. You have to remember, they sell way more Mark Series pistols than they do the SR-1911's. Therefore they will build more and distribute more!

As far as prices, they should be around $379-389 for the blued Target, about $459-469 for the stainless Target and $569-589 for the Hunter. They will not go down from this price in a year or so. If you pay more than this, you paid to much!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
I'm somewhat disappointed they went with an Aluminum frame. I'm old school. And the one thing I always did like about the Mark II and Mark III, is the fact they're one of the very few .22 semi auto pistols left that are still being built on a steel frame. The only other one I know of still being manufactured is the S&W Model 41. And the street price on those are over twice as much as a Hunter Mark III or IV.
An aluminum gun/engine/boat/whatever is like a Mackerel in the moonlight. Its shiny, and it stinks!

The IV is gonna cost more because they've abandoned Bill Ruger's economical design in favor of a CNC part. That just costs more money. Its also probably better.

I really hope "somebody" makes a bolt release lever for the previous generations similar to the new IV's lever. The bolt release lever on my MK III is *NOT* ergonomic AT ALL - especially if I'm wanting to engage it to hold the bolt back.

They didn't get rid of the mag disconnect, which is one of the few mods that actually makes sense to me. I'm hoping they make a "Standard" version available, I'm sorry the LCI went away but I'll get over it, and as far as I'm concerned they needn't bother with a 22/45 version which was an answer to a question nobody was asking. I'm not one for heel releases, although I know how to deal with them but the spring-loaded mag eject is a bit over done IMNSHO.

I'm fine with reassembly of my MK III - NOW. It was a learning curve for sure - the IV's quick take-down is an excellent idea assuming it doesn't introduce other problems.

Oh, and I drive stick shifts exclusively. Automatics are another answer to a question nobody was asking.

Last edited by Zorba; 09-26-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:16 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
An aluminum gun/engine/boat/whatever is like a Mackerel in the moonlight. Its shiny, and it stinks!

<snippage!>

Oh, and I drive stick shifts exclusively. Automatics are another answer to a question nobody was asking.

I just loved the dozens of protestors saying "You need to be able to do this!" and imagined them all getting into their automatics or CVTs and driving away....

Yup - manual all the time. But the re-assembly I can do without.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
But the re-assembly I can do without.
Yea, I can do without it too; but its no longer a reason to trade up to a new IV. Given the choice 3 years ago, yea, I could have grabbed the IV and never looked back!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:22 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Yea, I can do without it too; but its no longer a reason to trade up to a new IV. Given the choice 3 years ago, yea, I could have grabbed the IV and never looked back!

I traded my MkIII in a couple of years ago - I'm ripe for the IV....

Old 09-26-2016, 03:05 PM
xdm9mm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdee View Post
I work for a small FFL and know quite a few local FFL owners also. All of us will be getting shipments in this week. These will be know where near as hard to find as the SR-1911's were. You have to remember, they sell way more Mark Series pistols than they do the SR-1911's. Therefore they will build more and distribute more!

As far as prices, they should be around $379-389 for the blued Target, about $459-469 for the stainless Target and $569-589 for the Hunter. They will not go down from this price in a year or so. If you pay more than this, you paid to much!

Tyhe lowest price I can see online for a Hunter model is $650...
Old 09-26-2016, 03:21 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Hmm. MSRP on the Hunter is $769, So you are saying that they will sell for $200 under MSRP? Perhaps I could buy one from the place you work at? For the one in the attached link I will buy it now, send me a PM Plus shipping to my FFL, of course.

Thx, greg

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIVHunter/models.html
Old 09-26-2016, 06:09 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
friend says his distributor sells the MK IV for about 70.00 more than the same model in a MK III. Some one advertised a MK IV Hunter for 499.00 . Pretty good mark up in the MRSP especially for the Hunter model. I have owned three Hunters and while the are excellent looking guns none of them shot as good as my MK II&III Slab Comp.Too bad I envisioned a Ruger that would look and shoot like my old High Standard 7 1/4" Trophy.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 PM
mykdee
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
Hmm. MSRP on the Hunter is $769, So you are saying that they will sell for $200 under MSRP? Perhaps I could buy one from the place you work at? For the one in the attached link I will buy it now, send me a PM Plus shipping to my FFL, of course.

Thx, greg

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIVHunter/models.html
The MSRP on a 10/22 is $309, yet they sell for $199-209. MSRP means nothing! I know personally of a shop in Arizona that will have the Hunter model for $570, when they get them in tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The MSRP on a 10/22 is $309, yet they sell for $199-209. MSRP means nothing! I know personally of a shop in Arizona that will have the Hunter model for $570, when they get them in tomorrow.
Didn't occur to me that a new gun would sell that much under MSRP. Good to know.

Would you mind PMing me the name of the LGS in Arizona?

Thx

greg
Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 AM
mykdee
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Also I was just on one of my accounts, and all the Mark III's & 22/45's are closeout prices and they will no longer be available!
Old 09-27-2016, 12:59 AM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thx for the update. I might try to find one with a slab side or heavy barrel, just for the upper (i.e. barrel).
Old 09-27-2016, 01:27 AM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
Didn't occur to me that a new gun would sell that much under MSRP. Good to know.

Would you mind PMing me the name of the LGS in Arizona?

Thx

greg
Same here as I am in Az.. I might just visit the shop... thanks
Old 09-27-2016, 07:23 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Had the small local shop I've been using mostly the last 2 years price a Hunter in my hands for $580, a blued Target for $430 right off the top of his head. This would be special ordered, once they are out in sufficient numbers the price will likely drop a good bit according to him. I'm really not in the market right now, four Mk's from a I to a tricked out 22/45 Mk III and a 8" AMT that outshoots them all have me covered. I'll wait until the Mk IV (which I think will be a big success) has had its teething pains and the "I gotta be first on my block" rush is over. I'd love to see a slab sided 4"/4.5" blued Target while I'm wishing.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Had the small local shop I've been using mostly the last 2 years price a Hunter in my hands for $580, a blued Target for $430 right off the top of his head. This would be special ordered, once they are out in sufficient numbers the price will likely drop a good bit according to him. I'm really not in the market right now, four Mk's from a I to a tricked out 22/45 Mk III and a 8" AMT that outshoots them all have me covered. I'll wait until the Mk IV (which I think will be a big success) has had its teething pains and the "I gotta be first on my block" rush is over. I'd love to see a slab sided 4"/4.5" blued Target while I'm wishing.
Makes perfect sense to me other than I would wish for a 5 1/2" blue slab Target

As I have noted else where if it is important to you to have a NEW Ruger MK or if you just can't wait to have a MKIV buy one now but if you can wait a year or even 6 months it will save you money and if you want something like the 4" or the 5 1/2" Blue slab Target you probably have no choice other than waiting a year or more! Beside that the biggest selling point for the MKIV is the extremely easy take down which I thank Ruger for but for those of us that have a nice MKII or tricked out MKIII and have been taking them down for 30 years already the MKIV is not quite as appealing as it is to the people that are still intimidated by that procedure. It is really NOT that bad but if you spend much time on the net there are at least 100 people that are very vocal about how it is easier to break into a bank vault! Almost with out exception they are Browning, S&W, or Beretta fanboys anyway.

It has always been thus and not just Ruger. If you want the very first C8 mid engine Corvette you are going to pay the dealer a lot more than if you can wait for a 2019 or 2020 model. As Mr gmd1950 pointed out it may be worth giving them a year to work out the bugs on this one!

To some people the "have it now" is worth it and to others that KNOW they are going to be needing one soon (say you want to compete in Ruger Challenge this full year for instance) you bite the bullet and pay the extra. Their money, their choice but for me waiting would be the smart way to go. In fact for ME if I really want that 512 it might very well mean that I wait AND something else may need to be sold to do this. So goes life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk