Ruger Mark IV - Page 12 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:36 AM
StrutStopper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Whether or not I ever get a MKIV, anyone who's in the running to inherit my guns will need to take down and reassemble my 22/45 before they get anything. It will be in my will.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:40 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Answer a few questions before I go put a brick or two through my new Mk IV.

The upper is still the serialized part.

Yes, the barrel is threaded in. They always have been. They're a real bugger to change, and in this case, it would require machining to make things match up right.
So easy aftermarket barrels ain't' going to happen.

My three pull avarage on the trigger is 5#6 oz. It has considerable take up, just a bit of creep, breaks well, with a lot of overtravel.
Not as horrible as I make it sound, but I'll be looking for an aftermarket set.
In the meantime, tomorrow I'll have our gunsmith give it a going over, and D&T the trigger for an overtravel screw.

Today I'm only bringing my Mk I and my Mk IV to the range. Will compare them side by side.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:41 AM
mobilemechanic
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mark II and my son bought a used one when he turned 18 ( back then he got a NY permit at 18 ) anyway he took it apart and spent the next 2 hours trying to get it back together. Did I mention he is very stubborn, and didn't ask me, he finally got it together and after that could do it in 2 min. Lesson learned !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 07:42 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Per my largest LGS, yes the Mk III is supposed to be history, they got caught with a large and varied inventory of them and ALL were marked down $40-$60, every model. They said they would reduce their inventory of Mk III's via the reduced price before they ordered any Mk IV's. It will be interesting to see how that works out, they also pointed out that the Mk IV's would run close to $80 more than the Mk III's for the equivalent model. Lot's of wait and see coming.
Cabelas has a history of reducing some prices below cost just to clear the inventory. There maybe some killer deals in MkIII . And on the web, floor is the limit. Unfortunately those deals maybe be in the least popular models. And, It is too bad, that some good LGS may get burned.

Based on the Gun Blast review, there will be no Mk IV pistols (EVER) for Mass or CA. That might provide a market for the remaining MK III.

There could be a bit of irony in this, assuming the MkIII prices tank, if it turns out the Mk IV have a weakness the old Mk II might still be the best in the series with the III a close second. That is not a prediction or wish, I am just saying you never know. Or as quoted, "a lot of wait and see coming"

Last edited by fourbore; 09-25-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:01 AM
UncleFester

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark IV - Who plans to buy one & when?

Yesterday, I was cleaning my S&W Victory after a shoot. Compared to the old Ruger it replaced, it was easy peasy to get it very clean (I am not the clean it once a decade kind of guy).

But, the new Mark IV looks like a winner. While it probably won't make my Christmas list (waiting for a can), I predict a Hunter will be in my safe by Summer.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:05 AM
UncleFester

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
Gone will be that awesome feeling of accomplishment and victory experienced when you finally wrassle the gun back together. This push button takedown is for wimps
I wonder how many people saved YouTube instructional videos that they can delete.

Because I like my guns clean, I sold mine last year.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Alien22lr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ASAP
Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm somewhat disappointed they went with an Aluminum frame. I'm old school. And the one thing I always did like about the Mark II and Mark III, is the fact they're one of the very few .22 semi auto pistols left that are still being built on a steel frame. The only other one I know of still being manufactured is the S&W Model 41. And the street price on those are over twice as much as a Hunter Mark III or IV.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:30 AM
GlockmanGG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Replace the bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotcajun View Post
The MK IV still has that stupid Magazine / Trigger disconnect.
Replace the bushing with a mark II bushing and put you mine to rest , $12.00 part ,just like a mark II but with a magazine release in the frame
Old 09-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Whiskeyshooter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How could you possible know that it is a weak spot? Ruger has a great reputation, it is hard to believe they would make a gun that will handed down to generations to come, knowing it had a "Weak Spot". Other than a photo or video where did you actually see this pistol? Shoot this pistol, feel this pistol?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
I'm somewhat disappointed they went with an Aluminum frame. I'm old school. And the one thing I always did like about the Mark II and Mark III, is the fact they're one of the very few .22 semi auto pistols left that are still being built on a steel frame. The only other one I know of still being manufactured is the S&W Model 41. And the street price on those are over twice as much as a Hunter Mark III or IV.
The stainless model (singular) is all steel. The one and only blue model, so far, is aluminum framed. I expect to see dozens of options and flavors in coming years. The best spin on this is aluminum is an big upgrade over polymer. My personal observation is the all steel Mk III are a bit heavy to carry around all day and I hate plastic. So... IMHO, another check mark in the plus column.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:54 AM
tenbanshee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
Gone will be that awesome feeling of accomplishment and victory experienced when you finally wrassle the gun back together. This push button takedown is for wimps
I remember the first time that I tried to take mine apart, wow and then putting it back together! I gave up and wrapped it a cloth with oil on it and came back to it about a week later, I got it that time!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:11 AM
rikfire
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No worries, soon Dennis at SGW will be accepting MkIV's for conversion to MkI take down.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:40 AM
thomaston2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am waiting for the Mask 6 completely self cleaning and loading. The sights are replaced with a sensor that will not fire unless pointed at the target and it comes with a lifetime supply of CCI Eley ammo of your choice.

And at 76, driving since 13, on a farm, I have never owned an automatic transmission in a car, but if I won a Porsche dual clutch Boxster I would probably drive it. (:

On second thought why buy a gun at all. Get a video game, sit in the comfort of your house, no cleaning, no hoarding of ammo, no walking up to check the target, just an electronic scoreboard !! No crisp fall air, no smell of powder, , no sitting at the bench taking your gun apart , no need to customize it to suit your desires, no meeting up with the guys and gals to talk guns.............All the time you save you can watch the Kardashians. Yup, I am getting a Nintendo MK5. (:
Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 AM
U_P_Investigator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
On another of the FOUR (I think, maybe more) threads on the Mark IV, someone posted the exploded view and parts list. The front pivot is a screw.
Thanks Bear.