1911 .22? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:52 AM
Hondo44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Sell some stuff you don't use any longer and treat yourself to a 1911 ACE, not the Service ACE. The original w/o the two piece chamber and extra recoil. It has a 4 3/4" barrel, so closer to the 1911 weight even though it's a .22. If you want good workmanship, you'll never look back.

Sure pricey, but don't get a collectible, buy a shooter. Digests anything I feed it and shoots it all well. Unbelievable trigger pull and accuracy. It's a classic with old world panache we'll never see again and no one can produce it new at anywhere near the price you'll pay for an original one today! They're still out there waiting for someone that appreciates them and wants to shoot!
Old 09-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Willtinker
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Colt Gold Cup/Walther. It runs without fault with anything I have put in it and it fun to shoot, but the adjustable sights that came on it could not be adjusted to point of aim vertically at 15 yards. I had to make a new taller front sight to get it to hit to center of target. The rear sight on mine is not as good as most target sights, but is ok for a plinker. Also did some work on the trigger to get it closer to a Gold Cup Trigger (only closer not like). Outside of that it is fun to shoot and very similar to a standard 1911 except slightly lighter and very little recoil. I have had mine for several years so Walther may have fixed the sights by now.

For more serious accuracy I use my trusty High Standard Trophy or TS (TacSol) 2211 Conversion for 1911 pistols. The TS is very tight from the factory and requires a break in to function reliably. I set at home and worked the slide a few hundred times before I took it the range. It has worked well sense.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:12 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
I have an itch for a GOOD 1911 .22 that will be about the same weight as a .45. I notice Bud's has the National Match Walther for a price that won't hurt too bad, wonder if anyone has had experience with this model, or has thoughts about some other make ? Thanks.
I had an early GSG - It was a money pit . . . even Chet @ CWA had it for a time . . . once we got it working I dumped it and never looked back.

I have a Kimber conversion kit mounted on my first Kimber Gold Match frame and it works very well with reasonable accuracy for the money invested. Since I have several 1911's I leave this with the 22 Conversion Kit installed.

My best by far is the Foster Industries dedicated 1911 frame with a Marvel Unit 1. I was fortunate to acquire this already put together and whoever built it did a very good job. I have less in this than the cost of a GSG so was very fortunate. If I were starting from scratch . . . this is the way I would go.

If one has really deep pockets - CWA offers custom-built units that are really nice looking. https://www.cwaccessories.com/custom-builds

I've been "looking" at the Rock Island 1911 in 22 WMR.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:44 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just so there is no confusion, GSG made the SIG and is what ATI currently sells here.
If getting a GSG get current production, def Do Not get an early model (they stepped up and made changes). Imo, at the price point there is no way you can build a 1911 for even close, if the money matters. I think I have less in my GSG, c/w mods, than just a conversion upper. If I had run across the pseudo Colt by Walther at the same price I could have just as easily bought it.....all I wanted was a 'decent' 22LR 1911ish to play with and I got just that. The aftermarket support for the GSG makes it easier to pick up bits and bobs (ie, easier to spend more money on indulgences); remains to be seen if the aftermarket will support the Walther clone.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:45 AM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you want a 'real' 1911 or just the feel?

Previous post is correct; the Browning is smaller, so if you're looking for a training tool for your .45, it won't work well. On the other hand, a lot of the full-size, full-weight 1911 copies in .22 LR are, for my money, temperamental junk, including some quite pricey ones. I've had two friends buy the SIG 1911-22, and both had major reliability issues. BTW, not sure if it's true, but I've been told that the Sig was actually made by GSG. At any rate, both went back to the factory several times and returned with little improvement. Neither would feed an entire ten-round magazine without a misfeed or jam, even with the manufacturer's specified ammo, CCI Mini-Mags. One buddy, following the last trip back to the factory, literally threw his in the trash can at the range and only took it our after the range officer told him that was not allowed. Both of them now shoot Ruger Mk IIIs. Which brings me to the other half of the question. If you're just looking for the feel, buy a Ruger 22/45 with the short bull barrel. The balance and the control locations do a good job of mimicking the 1911, they'll shoot as straight as 99.99% of us can hold, you can find literally any aftermarket part you can imagine, plus a few nobody would, and, best of all, they'll shoot box after box of just about any high or standard velocity 22 LR on the market without a hiccup!
Old 09-28-2019, 02:57 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JGR;

I've had the same experience with my GSG 1911 22. It's been back to the factory twice now. They did a good job but it's not even close to my Mark IV 22/45s.

It's project gun though so I don't mine. I've invested in a lot of CWACCESSORIES parts and +2 magazine followers. When I get it back I'm going to install either adjustable sights or a Vortex Venom.

I'll still shoot my Volquartsen Mamba for competition but I'll have a lot of fun seeing what I can do with the GSG.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:14 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Cannot give any advice on which one is best. But do stay away from the browning made ones because they made them 85% models so not full size.
And over time, they will become collectible for that very oddity.

But, like JGR_LV said, they are a poor practice option for an adult who wants an inexpensive option. However, they are great for getting middle schoolers started on 1911s.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 PM
LatLongLost
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I got an Essex 1911 frame some years ago that I custom built with various 1911 parts that I liked and put an Advantage Arms 22 conversion unit on it and it shoots most any 22 ammo great.

I no sooner got that frame and conversion unit together, and shot a couple of thousands of rounds through it, and one of my sons decided that he wanted that 1911-22 “for Christmas“! So, it’s now with him and my grandkids are now shooting it. Oh well ... the price of parenthood!

I just don’t have the time to build any Essex 1911’s up anymore so the last two new 1911 frames I have (and a ton of 1911 parts) are now for sale on RFC Marketplace.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Black Knight
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Cannot give any advice on which one is best. But do stay away from the browning made ones because they made them 85% models so not full size.
Yes, 85%, but that does not mean it is not an excellent gun that does not need aftermarket add-ons to satisfy many who like it just the way it is. Everyone has a different purpose for the everything they do, and painting with a brush broadly, when an 85% wide brush would do, well, it's just not necessary ;-)
Old 10-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Rich/WIS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Recently purchased the Colt/Walther GC from Buds, and it needed a little tweeking but find it both accurate and fun to shoot. Problem on mine was the trigger pull, heavy and rough. Cause ws a crappy sear, so replaced the sear and also the sear spring. Trigger is now crisp and light enough for accurate shooting. Only warning is watch the plunger and spring if doing a full strip, tends to fly and the tiny plunger and spring are hard to find. I slightly crimped the spring so it is tight fit to on the plunger, easier to find one piece than two.

Mine came with one 12 round mag and I picked up a couple of 10 rounders from Taylor Tactical, they also have other parts for it as well.