Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Now this is what the takedown should be shooting like

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  r_olsen 
#1 ·
My takedown accuracy was ridiculous shooting off hand. Couldn't figure it out. I do have a standard 10/22 in jail for a few more days with a bull barrel. Giving the 10/22 another chance.

While I was waiting I picked up a 15-22 and GSG 1911. Both shoot fantastic.

First pic is off hand shooting the 15-22 with iron sights at 75 feet.

Second pic is the GSG 1911 22lr at 30 feet. Keep in mind I'm a new shooter only a few months in. This is all rapid fire (well as fast I can anyways which isn't very fast)

Third pic is my takedown, green circle off a bipod blue circle off hand at 75 feet. Slow shooting.

Why on earth couldn't my takedown do this? I would have been a very happy camper. Let's see what an 1974 standard 10/22 with heavy bull barrel shoots like hopefully this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a lot of info on the site on simply things you can do to improve the accuracy. The first question I would ask however is what ammo you are using. My takedown has a somewhat shotgun effect with the cheap federal, but is a great shooter with cci standard velocity (10 shots in an inch off a bag at 25 yards).
Print out a target with 5, 1" squares and shoot off a bag/rest with 5 different types ammo. 5 to 10 rounds in each square will give you an idea of what your rifle likes.
Other considerations
Scope or open sights?
Barrel nut engaged nice and snug?
Lots more you could consider. If you don't get satisfactory results after testing and tweaking, I would call ruger and send it back for repair. There's no reason a takedown can't shoot 1"at 25 yards. Mine has made rifleman numerous times at Appleseed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
There is a lot of info on the site on simply things you can do to improve the accuracy. The first question I would ask however is what ammo you are using. My takedown has a somewhat shotgun effect with the cheap federal, but is a great shooter with cci standard velocity (10 shots in an inch off a bag at 25 yards).
Print out a target with 5, 1" squares and shoot off a bag/rest with 5 different types ammo. 5 to 10 rounds in each square will give you an idea of what your rifle likes.
Other considerations
Scope or open sights?
Barrel nut engaged nice and snug?
Lots more you could consider. If you don't get satisfactory results after testing and tweaking, I would call ruger and send it back for repair. There's no reason a takedown can't shoot 1"at 25 yards. Mine has made rifleman numerous times at Appleseed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
My setup was a scope with bipod or off sand bags. My barrel adjustment was a s tight as it can be without hindering assembly.

Takedown is super accurate on bags or a bipod, it was the offhand shooting that was all over the place. It's OK, I tried numerous things, only thing I didn't try was torqued bolts some I do not have a torque wrench. Maybe that's the issue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.