Bolt Action use with Sub Sonic Ammo/Short/Colibri - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:19 AM
DDDD1954

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bolt Action use with Sub Sonic Ammo/Short/Colibri

Hello, I have read that the 10/22 and other semi-auto do not cycle the low power rounds like CCI Quiet, Colibri, CCI Shorts etc. and if used have to be loaded individually. Was wondering if a Bolt Action Rimfire with a magazine(like the Browning, CZ) will cycle as the Bolt action is manual.

Just starting to look into this, any assistance and guidance would be helpful. Also would appreciate any guidance, if this is doable, as to what gun to get. Using for target practice and does not have to be a heavy long barrel(arthritic shoulders)

Own several Henry's and Browning levers that cycle these rounds and enjoy firing them. Would like to venture into a bolt action as well.

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For normal length cases - CCI Quiet, 22 Long/Long CB, the Colibri stuff, etc - any bolt gun should handle it. Heck, a 10/22 should handle it as far as feeding from the magazine goes. Just probably won't have enough power to drive action.

For 22 Shorts/Short CB it will be down to how the mag works. Many tube fed guns are designed to handle them fine - and are stamped as such (ie 22 S/L/LR). Others, like my Mossberg 44US need to have either a different magazine or a extra part to keep the shorter rounds in the right position for pickup and feeding.

Note there are 22 Short conversion for a 10/22, and if you search the 10/22 forum here there have been posts about using a small piece of a PVC pipe to mod a 10/22 mag to work with shorts reliably. Then it is a matter of a lighter bolt/recoil spring for semi auto, or you can manually operate it.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What has worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD1954 View Post
Hello, I have read that the 10/22 and other semi-auto do not cycle the low power rounds like CCI Quiet, Colibri, CCI Shorts etc. and if used have to be loaded individually. Was wondering if a Bolt Action Rimfire with a magazine(like the Browning, CZ) will cycle as the Bolt action is manual.

Just starting to look into this, any assistance and guidance would be helpful. Also would appreciate any guidance, if this is doable, as to what gun to get. Using for target practice and does not have to be a heavy long barrel(arthritic shoulders)

Own several Henry's and Browning levers that cycle these rounds and enjoy firing them. Would like to venture into a bolt action as well.

Thank you in advance.
I have limited experience with ammo slower than 1,000 fps, and limited experience with my stock 10/22.

I have much more experience with CZ bolt actions, and suggest you first decide between iron sights and a riflescope. With that in mind, I suggest that you might do well to explore a CZ Varmint or American as a scoped rifle, and/or a Training Rifle for open/peep sights.

There is no issue of 'cycling' with a bolt action for any type of ammo. But as barrel length increases, ammo slower than SV (~1,000 fps) is more susceptible to a 'squib' shot (the bullet does not leave the barrel), allowing a subsequent shot to bulge the barrel.

If you want reduced noise, another approach would be a CZ UltraLux or Jaguar with a 28.66" barrel and SV ammo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2021, 08:09 AM
Kestrel4k
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I've bench-tested most if not all of the quieter ammo (i.e. sub- subsonic), and have found CCI Quiets (which are LR) to be one of the more accurate options.
(i.e. the better lots averaging ~1.1" 5-shot groups at 50 yds - considerably better than any shorts or Aguila ammo tested, for example.)

I have a suppressed CZ452 bolt rifle that is a dedicated 'Quiets' rifle, and it is spooky quiet. The grouse don't like it quite as much as I do tho.

Edit: I did a pretty good evaluation of Quiets in the 452; feel free to review the thread here:

CCI Quiets (& other LV) in a suppressed CZ 452, correlating accuracy to Lot# & MV STD

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 04-22-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:50 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My brief trials of this class of 22rf are similar, I keep a magazine equipped vintage sporter loaded with the CCI Q's just for the yard varmints.
Problem here is that NOTHING is available, if you dont have it and it is an oddball version, good luck!
The CB Shorts and Longs (from anyone) are ballistic twins, and they are even less 'quality controlled' than typical bulk 22lr ammo. Our crew of Scoundrels has several years experience with them as we do an annual 'Boy's Rifle Match' on silhouettes from 12.5 to 50 yds. It takes a hit in the top 1/3rd of the 50yd ram to reliably, albeit slowly, topple it.
Any (ANY) soft report or oddity in the shot requires checking that a bullet is NOT stuck in the bore! This can be harder to detect if wearing ear protection. A bit of a pain, that, with some actions.
I havent seen any 22Shorts in some years, and those were HV, the SV Shorts of my youth I havent seen in many years. The HV are not sub-sonic so they Crack, may as well shoot SV LR if you want to reduce noise.
Btw, many older model sporting 22 rifles have tapered light wt and longish barrels. Those are the quiet ones with SV LR for sporting use.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tried that, done with that. Shorts and quiets and CBs, fun, but basically junk. You can also buy a cheap air rifle, if you want that.

If you want accurate quiet, get a suppressor. Or, get a 28 inch barrel. And shoot good ammo.

When you go to a range , you wear hearing protection, so why bother with quiet?When you shoot in the field , SV ammo isnt that loud.

If you really gotta shoot shorts, buy a gun chambered in shorts, like a Browning SA. But first ,buy the ammo
Old 04-22-2021, 10:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD1954 View Post

Thank you in advance.
Most 22lr bolt action magazines will load shorts just fine. Example below of a CZ magazine loaded with shorts. Cycling the bolt slow generally causes no feeding issues and they work just like longs.

Just like your lever actions, tube feed actions are the best for differing length cartridges. An older bolt action with a tube feed is going to be easier to use/load, at least in my experience if your going to use them often.

If you intend to shoot them really often (and can find them ), I'd suggest a dedicated rifle for it. The biggest drawback is the etched ring you end up with in the breech over time that makes loading long rifles hard after awhile. But if you clean the breech well after every session, you can keep that from happening. Don't mix shorts and long rifles in the same shooting session if possible, that's where you run into issues with stuck cartridges.

Good luck on your venture!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210422_105114 (2).jpg (86.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20210422_105952 (2).jpg (75.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-22-2021, 05:16 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use a tube fed, I have tried 22LR magazines and always had feeding problems
Remington 512 works fine for longs or short CB's.
Colibri should too, I know they will in a older Winchester pump.

Don't use Colibri's in a CZ, the bullet will not exit, at least they didn't in the 452 I used.

Last edited by rem33; 04-22-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:10 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Use a tube fed
I had a Remington 582 (bolt tube fed) that, even though it was chambered for .22LR, did best accuracy-wise with CCI Short HP's. Held 23 rounds and was very quiet, probably due to the long barrel.

I would say that most shorts are subsonic in most rifles with long barrels. You never know about ammo till you try it. I even tried longs; didn't do great, but I had to try.

Trajectory of CCI Short HP's is not bad, considering.