OOB discharge first time out new rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:15 PM
rellisonii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy OOB discharge first time out new rifle

first time out with my new s&w M&P 15-22 and already had an out of battery discharge, also multiple failure to eject. Was shooting Federal 510s. Hoping rifle just needs broken in, put about 200 rounds through it today.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
Clean it thoroughly with Hornady One Shot cleaner and dry lube, make sure the chamber is spotless. Do not use oil, do not shoot Rem-Turds. Feed it good HV ammo, mine shoots fine with CCI Blazer, Mini-Mag, and Federal Auto Match.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM
kp321
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the rifle a standard model or a Performance Center model? I have seen several OOB discharges on PC models, none on standard models.
Either way, a good cleaning of the chamber should fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 01:01 PM
rellisonii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Sport Kit .22 LR 25rd 16.5" Rifle 12546. I cleaned before shooting and did not look that dirty when I cleaned when I got home.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:27 AM
1bdvet
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
It is a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Sport Kit .22 LR 25rd 16.5" Rifle 12546. I cleaned before shooting and did not look that dirty when I cleaned when I got home.
I found on my 15-22 had terrible problem getting shell to eject without getting stuck in the slide.
What I found out the ejector when putting my finger on it was ruff, and not smooth.
I took small file and clean it up, has smooth has I could make it.
Guess what never had another problem again, and will say well over 10,000 rounds been shot down the barrel.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM
chomorro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
first time out with my new s&w M&P 15-22 and already had an out of battery discharge, also multiple failure to eject. Was shooting Federal 510s. Hoping rifle just needs broken in, put about 200 rounds through it today.
You might have to bend the extractor a little. There are YouTube videos on it. I bent mine with my finger and have had no issues with golden bullets

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2018, 02:52 PM
rellisonii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks will check ejector and adjust some.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:29 PM
rellisonii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The ejector on mine is almost touching the port side of the slot the ejector rides in,
Old 12-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Ceapea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OOB on older 15-22

I've got an older (8 years?? Maybe older!) 15-22 that has 1000's of rd thru it. Mostly trouble free. Last weekend, I was out with it for the first time in a year or so. Put 30 rd of Fed Champion and 30 rd of Win Super X thru it without any issues, as expected.
Then, I found it's old favorite...now don't choke on anything...Remington GB!!
I know, not the best ammo. But, this rifle has always liked it for some reason. Better than most el-cheapo plinking stuff.
Anyway, I put 10 rd thru it (with 2 failures to ignite) and then loaded up another 10. Round #3 went ka-boom! Noticeably louder, and debris flying out the side of the gun. Wouldn't be so bad...if I weren't left handed. Debris not as bad as I make it sound, I was using a brass catcher...hey, I like to leave the range as clean as possible and, I also recycle the brass with my spent primers.
I put in a call to S&W, but they are closed til Jan. 2nd. Some "blast" and small particles still made it out, but the bag caught most of the parts...luckily.
Oh, that other case, just happened to find it while checking the bag for parts. It too is a Rem case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M&P 15_22 bang3.jpg (44.3 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg M&P 15_22 bang2.jpg (138.0 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg M&P 15_22 bang1.jpg (146.2 KB, 307 views)
Old 12-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Buccaneer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do a search on and post this on the S&W M&P 15-22 form board. Lots of info on this specific issue -
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/
Old 12-29-2018, 03:48 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All .22 semi autos need to have the chamber cleaned frequently. Otherwise it is only a matter of time before you have an OOB experience. This is especially true if you shoot cheap ammo that is particularly dirty.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:01 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
All .22 semi autos need to have the chamber cleaned frequently. Otherwise it is only a matter of time before you have an OOB experience. This is especially true if you shoot cheap ammo that is particularly dirty.
Truer words were never spoken. Buy as Gunsmither tool or build one of your own, simply a bent bore brush on a handle with a bent chamber mop on the other end. Run it in and out of the chamber every couple hundred rounds with your favorite bore cleaner for trouble free operation.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:32 PM
Ceapea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I absolutely agree!
The odd thing, that seems to disprove this is, my personal Nylon 66, as well as five others belonging to other family members. Can't be absolutely certain about the other 5, but my own 66, which I bought new in 1983, and has seen better than 10,000 rounds (and really, probably >15k), has been cleaned less than 5 times. I say that because when I was 18, when I bought it, I was probably not too concerned about the maintenance. Back then, as far as I knew, you loaded it, shot it, then put it away. I think I first cleaned it around 10 years ago. Then maybe a few times since. But, most of the rounds shot thru it, came early on in it's life. Other than the occasional dead primer, it really has never failed me. My older brother has three of them, bought back in the mid 60's. When I first cleaned mine, I asked him about his. Between the three, and for more than 40 years, he thought that he cleaned at least one of them...once.
They did have a reputation for reliability. All of my other (17, or so) rimfires, are either repeating bolt guns, or single shots. In the last 10-15 years, I have started cleaning them, comparatively more often. But it is usually a brush once or twice thru the bore, followed by a bore snake. Then, I brush out the chamber with an old toothbrush. The 15-22 was cleaned that way when I put it away a year or two ago. And, the 15-22 has seen the least amount of rounds shot, other than my newest rifles (last year or so), than any other. Probably less than 3k thru it since new. I'm not a huge fan of the AR platform, regardless of caliber. It's one I should consider getting rid of after it is fixed. I just enjoy any of the others a whole lot more than that one.

Last edited by Ceapea; 12-31-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
...and cold weather doesn't help the situation.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:57 AM
Ceapea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
...and cold weather doesn't help the situation.
It was cool, at 45 or so. Not sure if that is cold enough to affect things. But it is a thought.