Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:33 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I own and shoot a few very fine rimfire rifles and air rifles. My best rifles in both categories cost about $2K each. The .22 rimfires are a simpler, more robust technology, and should shoot virtually forever with nothing more than routine maintenance. The air rifles are a different animal, and although mine have been very reliable, I would have to send them off for any material repair. Very good pellets cost less than 3 cents each, and there are no other ammo related variables, no brass, no powder, no primer, and no potential for error in assembly, only one part. So, consistency is more easily achieved, and thus, precision accuracy. I thoroughly enjoy my .22 rimfire rifles, but the cost of premium ammo, and the tedium of testing different brands and lots for accuracy, certainly diminishes my enthusiasm at times. Air guns are great, and I think the sport will grow significantly.
Well said.

I have ~20 rimfires and ~50 airguns. Most all of the rimfires are in good repair; I could pull any of them out of the safe and shoot them today. Even those that are a century old.

My airguns? Not so much. Many are over 40 years old (a few over 60) and even some of them I rebuilt less than 15 years ago are now in need of new seals. I only have ~20 that are good to go.

However, just like the rimfires, I often only shoot my favorite airguns. Those ones I keep well maintained. No use keeping up with o-ring deterioration on rifles I'm not going to use anyway. At my age, I should really sell off some of my less used airguns (and rimfires and centerfires, lol).

One thing I've always found curious is that fact that on average, airguns are way more "fiddly" than firearms. Not the kind of fiddly related to 10/22s or ARs where guys are simply customizing an already perfectly good firearm, but fiddly in the sense that one has to change out this or that part just to make the dang thing functionproperly. And it's not just the cheap ones; many high-dollar airguns have their share of issues.

I still love 'em though; warts and all...
Old 03-30-2017, 03:50 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ditto.

Last edited by sicumj; 04-11-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 AM
mobilemail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have my Daystate Harrier SE in pieces now because it blew a seal. Arghh..

Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 AM
jeffsPSEMadness

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why I LOVE airguns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
Yes companies like Benjamin and Umarex make reasonably priced PCP air rifles in the $500 range for less money than that there are some great springers .We are even seeing some air compressors come down to earth price wise that can fill tanks to 4500 PSI .Yes it's a great time to get into air rifles.

They also have the PCP Benjamin discovery for about 300 and the new Maximus for 200 which I just picked up. Just waiting on my scope rings to get here.

Last edited by jeffsPSEMadness; 05-04-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 PM
mobilemail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsPSEMadness View Post
They also have the PCP Benjamin discovery for about 300 and the new Maximus for 200 which I just picked up. Just waiting on my scope rings to get here.

I think these rifles are the "10/22" of airguns. Inexpensive, infinitely moddable, accurate and affordable. My wife has a .22 Discovery that has been modified for more efficiency (so more shots per air fill). And I have a .177 Maximus I came by in a trade. I'm going to put a power adjuster on it so I can turn it down for paper season and up for squirrel season. :-)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 PM
jeffsPSEMadness

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
I think these rifles are the "10/22" of airguns. Inexpensive, infinitely moddable, accurate and affordable. My wife has a .22 Discovery that has been modified for more efficiency (so more shots per air fill). And I have a .177 Maximus I came by in a trade. I'm going to put a power adjuster on it so I can turn it down for paper season and up for squirrel season. :-)

Yes sir there wicked accurate. The disco is a sweet rifle. You can mod the hell out of that and the parts are the same as the Maximus. Most anyways. I want the bulldog next lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk