Will people be dumping their earlier Mark Rugers to get the Mark IV - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:27 PM
savage99308
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I will not be getting rid of my beautiful Mark 1 and Mark II Target pistols EVER. They both have 6 7/8 barrels, and I will not own any Ruger .22 pistol with less than this length barrel. Reason is that .22 cal pistols are dependent on barrel length to achieve what I will accept as adequate velocity, and 5 1/2 barrels give up almost 100 FPS to the 6 7/8 barrel versions. Yes, the Mark IV comes in a Hunter model with a 6 7/8 barrel, but it retails for $679.00. I can buy 2 or 3 Marks with a 6 7/8 inch barrel for that................
Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub sailor View Post
I have noticed a few local gun shops now have more used Mark I, II and III pistols for sale. I think many people are getting rid of the earlier pistols due to disassembly/reassembly frustration, and are going with the easier to clean Mark IV pistols. This might even drive down the prices for the earlier pistols. What do all of you think?
I was sort of wondering the same thing as far the new MK IV having a negative effect price wise on the older MK I & II's . I have 2 MK II's and would not consider selling either one of them for any reason . And certainly not to purchase a MK IV .As far as the MK II take down procedure is concerned it's not really a problem once you've done it a few times .
I think Ruger made the right move in making the MK IV easy to take down for cleaning /maintenance and I'm sure it will draw a lot of new buyers who would have looked else where.
I wish them well but I'm keeping my MK II's .
Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My MKII is too nice to dump.

When folks would ask me which pistol should they get, the MKII, MKIII, or the Browning BuckMark I would always give the positives and negatives of both and I would lean toward the BuckMark. I say that even though I have many more Rugers.

With the MKIV in the "Hunter" version I would have to say I would go for the Ruger. The Browning still has the better grip angle and the quick barrel change (not change the whole top which is the firearm) but this new Ruger is a "game changer" in that debate. I probably would still go with the Browning in a Silhouette version, but they don't make that one anymore. In a comparison between the Ruger MKIV and the Belgium Browning Challenger, I would still go with old school quality. For the ones that are currently made today, I would have to say that Ruger has finally done their homework. It is about 50 years later than it should have been, but they finally did it.

Good for Ruger.

Long overdue, but good job.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:34 PM
45flattop
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to 45flattop
NOT ME, Thanks

I own several, one standard RST4 that I bought in 1967 and two
Mark IIs, one with a stubby bull barrel in stainless and a stainless
slab sided target. I've never had any issue with disassembly or
functioning to clean until I bought ONE MKIII. MISTAKE....that
was some lawyer's notion of gun design, Bill Ruger would have
rolled over in his grave at that being sold as a "Ruger". I got rid
of mine at a loss so fast your head would spin, jamomatic POS
full of unnecessary "improvements" such as the loaded chamber
indicator that caused so many failures that an after market product
was made to fill the gap in the frame. I did try to like the MKIII
so I sent it back to Ruger and after I got it back, it still malfunctioned.
The new MKIV LOOKS like a good idea but I'll wait some time for
other early guinea pig users to report back on how theirs did before
I ever buy one, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame
on me.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:35 PM
AZ Pete
US Army Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will likely buy a MK IV Target (blued). But won't be selling my MK I's. I've had both since the 1960's, and have not had a single problem with either, though I have renewed the springs. Both were bought used, and one was rebarreled by Clark, before I traded for it
Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think (& hope) this will create a good opportunity to pick up a nice MK11 at a good price.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:03 PM
LouisianaJoe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Bull Barrel MK I in 1979. I still have it.

I also bought an AMT 10" Bull Barrel for it before Ruger started making them. I have a scope on it. I still get .5-.75" groups with it at 50 yds. Why replace something that is not broke.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaJoe View Post
I bought a Bull Barrel MK I in 1979. I still have it.

I also bought an AMT 10" Bull Barrel for it before Ruger started making them. I have a scope on it. I still get .5-.75" groups with it at 50 yds. Why replace something that is not broke.
Those AMTs were real nice. I wish I would have bought a long barreled one when they were available.

I think they forced Ruger into making more stainless steel MK pistols with more improvements. Unfortunately, Ruger didn't do anything really impressive until these new MKIVs.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:12 PM
downlow411

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will not sell my current mark II and III's but at some point will get a mark IV, after they come out in a 5.5 slab side, or a short bbl version of the hunter.
I am hoping SGW or some other mark mechanic comes up with a sear adjustment screw like the High Standards, to take the trigger to the next level, I am thinking the CNC frame will allow this additional feature.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM
SemperFlyBoy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub sailor View Post
I have noticed a few local gun shops now have more used Mark I, II and III pistols for sale. I think many people are getting rid of the earlier pistols due to disassembly/reassembly frustration, and are going with the easier to clean Mark IV pistols. This might even drive down the prices for the earlier pistols. What do all of you think?
I hope it's true. I will pick up another MKIII 22/45 in a heartbeat. I do not suffer all of the anguish of those who believe take down is beyond the capability of the normal human. Mine practically strips itself when I walk into the room (which is often embarrassing).
Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM
motoquahunter
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
My Rugers ( and VCs are not my favorite target pistols, although I do like them and shoot them. As little as they are worth, the hassle to sell, along with many other reasons prohibit me from EVER selling ANY gun.

Once the aftermarket and Ruger make enough stuff available I will likely get one at some point, but it I don't see why or how it will be any " better" than the three I already have? If someone can't or won't learn how to field strip their existing gun, and want to "dump it" to get one they can, I guess that makes sense nHowever, for the price of the FFL transfer fee alone, if for no other reason, I would just learn how to clean the one I had?? And that is ignoring any updates or improvements I might have already made. AFAIK, the Mark 4 is not a superior gun, nor is it an upscale gun ( e.g. S&W41, Victor, etc).

Buying one makes sense, dumping an older one to do it seems irrational.
I agree with your sentiments. If there are those out there who feel field stripping a Mk II or III is over their head and wish to unload them at less than they are valued. I would be willing to risk the chance to take them.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:50 PM
5akman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mark I and I hate it. Its picky on the ammo that it feeds (even with polishing the feed ramp and some other tweaks) and the reassembly has caused me much grief. The new Buckmark however is a whole different story!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Belvedere65
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'm with you Roscoe, my II stays with me till the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger .22.jpg (35.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 PM
fun2drive

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will not be "dumping" my MK1 I have owned since 1975 for any new Ruger automatic .22. I see no point to it...
Old 10-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Dutchman
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger MK III or Ruger MK IV

I own a Ruger MK III 22/45 Hunter. I have thought about upgrading to the MK IV because I like the extended slide release and safeties. And the ease of taking it apart for cleaning. But I don't think the minor improvements are worth the money I would lose in the trade. I have heavily modified my MK III to be what I want in a target pistol. It has a Volquartsen target trigger. The loaded chamber indicator has been replaced with a Stainless filler. The magazine disconnect safety has been eliminated so the magazine ejects smartly. The slide stop detente spring and ball have been removed so that the slide can slingshot close now. And I have Hogue rubber target grips installed. It isn't difficult to completely field strip a Ruger 22/45 down to its component pieces. And the minor amount of jiggling required to get the hammer strut to seat properly in the mainspring housing isn't a deal breaker for owning a MK III. All in all I wouldn't recommend buying a MK IV if you already have a MK III. Otherwise I think the MK IV is a fine pistol and if I didn't already have a MK III I would buy one for sure.