Do you think 22 lr pistols will halt dog attacks? - Page 13 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Do you think 22 lr pistols will halt dog attacks?

At eleven years old I purchased my first pistol, a Savage single shot model 101. Living in the country, I carried it everywhere, slipped into my belt. A couple of months after I bought it I killed a charging Pitt-bull by aiming between the eyes and firing when it was three feet away. That Pitt-bull dropped like a rock and slid, stopping dead at my feet.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 PM
pappa
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
All day long load some velocitors at 75 yards they will go through a deer broadside and then some. Although out of a handgun you would lose some energy,and velocity. A Ruger SR 22 is a good one and totally reliable.
The Ruger may be totally reliable, but rimfire ammunition is not. It has a much greater occurance of FTFire than does CF. Then takes 2 hands to rack slide for fresh cartridge. I love .22s but would never trust my safety to a .22 semiauto. A SA/DA revolver - many holding 9 - is a much more reliable choice. Just takes one hand - leaving other free for fending off with whatever is available - to bring up fresh cartridge and fire. CF ammo is another option. Reliability depends mostly on the ammo fired in a clean properly lubricated gun. Makes me cringe when people tell me they recently bought the latest great ammo and that's what's in their "carry", only to learn they have never shot any. People just assume it will work good in their gun "because it is great ammo". NotNecessarilySo.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here in Ozark Hills I carry a Kel-Tek PMR-30 22 WMR. Light weight and a lot of fire power with 30 rounds of 40gr JHP out here in the woods with coyotes....stray dogs don't last long in the woods in coyote country.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 AM
hamlan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a child growing up in a third world nation I have stopped many a dog attack with a well-placed rock. So yes, a 22lr handgun will stop a dog attack. Nuff said.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 AM
Fat-N-Lazy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
Here in Ozark Hills I carry a Kel-Tek PMR-30 22 WMR. Light weight and a lot of fire power with 30 rounds of 40gr JHP out here in the woods with coyotes....stray dogs don't last long in the woods in coyote country.
I second the PMR30, it's EXTREMELY light weight and the mag with 30rds only weighs 6ozs.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
At eleven years old I purchased my first pistol, a Savage single shot model 101. Living in the country, I carried it everywhere, slipped into my belt. A couple of months after I bought it I killed a charging Pitt-bull by aiming between the eyes and firing when it was three feet away. That Pitt-bull dropped like a rock and slid, stopping dead at my feet.
Those were the days of youthful wanderings with a favorite side arm where no one bothered you. I think however God protects the innocent. Well if the one shot didn't work you could have always clobbered him with it.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What a thread. One shot to the back of the head , 10 shots to the head , etc. ?most of the statmemts here I'm sure people truely believe. But if you are shooting an attacking dog in the head one of two things have happened. You have climbed a tree and are shooting down on him, or he is attached to your weak side arm and you are point blank making shots.

Dogs making noises are seldom attack dogs. You can easily ward them off with a walking stick which you should be carrying anyway. Bes protector you can carry. Granted nothing is more aggravating than a dog running up to you. But this hardly justifies you shooting them. The biggest threat here is the owner. Dog owners do not do well with someone shooting their ( feral) dog. Many dogs will go out and pack up for a few hour. But that doesn't make them feral and no less someone's pet. So if you shoot better keep that in mind.

I worked with attack dogs. We would turn them loose in a building at night . I've been hit by these dogs. Never heard them never saw them . The hit like a shark. One bite that would knock a whole in your pants and they would be gone. There was no chance to shoot even if I saw them.

I have seen feral dogs before. The ones I've seen are skidish and run from human contact. You guys that are talking about wolf behaviour I just haven't seen it.

Last edited by sicumj; 01-06-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:26 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by white house View Post
what a thread! I've contributed! Now comes the original question and intent for all:
Question: What should we carry to ward off a dog attack?
Answer: A shotgun.

Question: What should we carry in a handgun to ward off a dog attack?
Answer: At least a .357 magnum revolver loaded with 125 remington jhps. Auto.45 is no match so forget the hardballs or slow moving fmjs and jhps. We need above 1500 fps or so at muzzle. And 9s? Deliver me!

Question: What .22 pistol should i carry in the event i may need to ward off a dog attack while i am out doing other things where carrying a gun is suspect to judgment upon my character?
Answer: A stick or baton or baseball bat is better.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicumj View Post
What a thread. One shot to the back of the head , 10 shots to the head , etc. ?most of the statmemts here I'm sure people truely believe. But if you are shooting an attacking dog in the head one of two things have happened. You have climbed a tree and are shooting down on him, or he is attached to your weak side arm and you are point blank making shots.

Dogs making noises are seldom attack dogs. You can easily ward them off with a walking stick which you should be carrying anyway. Beat protector you can carry. Granted nothing is more aggravating than a dog running up to you. Bit this hardly justifies you shooting them. The biggest threat here is the owner. Dog owners do not do well with someone shooting their ( feral) dog. Many dogs will go out and pack up for a few hour. But that doesn't make them feral and no less someone's pet. So if you shoot better keep that in mind.

I worked with attack dogs. We would turn them loose in a building at night . I've been hit by these dogs. Never heard them never saw them . The hit like a shark. One bite that would knock a whole in your pants and they would be gone. There was no chance to shoot even if I saw them.

I have seen feral dogs before. The ones I've seen are skidish and run from human contact. You guys that are talking about wolf behaviour I just haven't seen it.
Growing up in the country it was pretty common to see wild dogs running alone or as packs. Dogs turned wild will chase deer till they drop then kill em but not eat the deer. Likewise a feral dog will kill just to kill where a coyote/wolf will kill to eat. Not sure why they behave that way but they get very aggressive once turned truly wild. Growing up my brothers and I were forced to kill a dozen or more that were intent on attacking us. The Pitt-bull that I shot, in the months before it's demise, had torn my pants legs open more than once and left scars on both legs. Rocks and sticks kept me alive but I was getting quite tired of the harassment and the owner would just laugh (a real jerk) when we told him of the attacks. I like dogs but only the domestic variety.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think those who live in urban suburban areas have different experiences, deal with a different reality, and have different priorities from those who live in rural areas. Each reality being so different makes it difficult to comment and judge the other. Those who live in the cites and burbs have to be very careful about the use of a firearm against dogs let alone human aggressors in those areas. The legal repercussions can drag on for years. In the country it's different. Dog packs are rightly viewed suspiciously because they inevitably harass, torture, and kill wildlife and livestock for fun and must be eliminated. In the city, unless a child or even an adult is being torn up by an attacking dog, the use of a firearm is a huge personal problem. Dogs will sometimes stalk and attack without warning. In the city or burbs, walking sticks, canes, batons, pepper or ammonium spray should be preferred. If that fails then a back up tactical knife is useful. I wouldn't use a firearm in the city unless it's life or death. In the country it's different.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thirty or so years ago I was confronted while walking in the woods by growling dogs. Two blocking my path up the trail in the direction I was headed while one started circling to my back side. To me it felt like I was being set up on a hunt.
It was either four or five shots that dropped all three dogs. I was very glad I had my S&W 22lr Kitgun that day. The 22 was the best choice I had at the time and I had spent plenty of time plinking at golf balls at the range. Well placed shots or lucky, not sure. The largest dog took the first round in the rump which made him spin in circles like he had been stung by a bee. Second and third rounds dropped the other two where they stood (broadside). Fourth or fifth shot put the big one down too.
I had heard of guys seeing dogs running deer in the woods or encountering a lone cur. I wasn't expecting trouble that day and I have never come across any since. I've never gone into the woods un-armed since then though.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:39 PM
baogongmeo

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Do you know any coyote trappers? If so ask them if they ever have to shoot more than once with a 22lr... if they have been trapping very long they will most certainly have needed more than one shot ( and this is shooting them in the head) and that would be for an animal that is smaller than a lot of dogs( I know there is always the exception) ( a friends cousins brother-in-laws neighbors co-worker killed one that weighed X amount of pounds and was as large as a timberwolf ). :-) This is a shot from only 10-15 feet away with the luxury of waiting for them to settle down and present a somewhat stationary target.

I really think that if a person is worried about feral dogs getting them then either a larger caliber firearm and/or pepper spray would be better. They use pepper spray for grizzly bears so I think that it would work for Fido.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM
ronbo613
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in a rural area and ride my bike alone in very remote places. I get chased by ranch dogs all the time and been bitten a couple times on the leg. I haven't yet found the need to kill a dog. The odds of being attacked by a pack of dogs are pretty slim around here, probably even slimmer in the suburbs where most people live. Halt, the pepper spray mail delivery people use, is what I carry to fend off vicious dog attacks. That, or a few doggie treats to throw on the ground to distract the killers while I make my getaway. If you choose the bear spray, make sure which way the wind is blowing before you spray. Being attacked by man eating dogs is bad enough, even worse when you're blind.

Once and a while I carry a .22 revolver when I ride off road. I can stop a shoot a little and it is also there in case I run into a bear(fairly common) or a cougar(rare). I don't shoot the bear, just fire the gun into the dirt near it, that gets them moving away from you. Of course, jumping up and down and yelling will do the same thing, but we're talking about guns here.

I forgot to mention that a .22 pistol will kill a dog, even a large one. Usually, the .22 is what you stick in your pocket to hide from the kids as you take Fido "behind the barn".

Last edited by ronbo613; 01-05-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:04 PM
baogongmeo

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
22s have killed millions of slaughter beeves and hogs but would you chose one to protect your life from a charging boar or bull?
I've not looked for any bear spray but don't they market it in a foam to reduce the likelihood of blow-back?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM
ronbo613
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baogongmeo View Post
22s have killed millions of slaughter beeves and hogs but would you chose one to protect your life from a charging boar or bull?
When is the last time you were charged by a wild boar or bull?

Gotta be realistic, a gun is not going to solve all your problems. If somebody comes around here armed to the teeth to protect yourself from wild animals, you'd be laughed out of town.