Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 AM
ronbo613
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shotshells

Will CCI shotshells damage the 10/22 barrel? Somebody told me you shouldn't use them with a rifled barrel.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:04 AM
Jbowhunt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shotshells

They are really a crappy product. They may or may not cycle the action. Effective range is about 3 feet. Most folks use them in revolvers to shoot snakes. Even then they suck. Don't waste your money on them.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:07 AM
RandyD1958
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On my grandparents' ranch, they had a cheap .22 LR bolt action dedicated for use with crimped shotshells, and that barrel was trashed. I tried to clean it but it was beyond my help. The CCI shotshells are plastic encased, so they may not cause the damage the crimped shotshells caused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Dr Heckel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
The 10/22 manual specifically states not to use shot cartridges. I'm not sure if it's because they simply won't load out of the magazine properly or there's something else to it. I personally wouldn't use them...

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/1022.pdf

"Do not use 22 short, 22 long, 22 shot, or 22 cartridges loaded with blunt-nosed, sharp-shouldered, or “explosive” bullets. They will not function reliably and may jam the mechanism or discharge before being fully chambered. Use only ammunition that functions correctly in your rifle.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:35 AM
ronbo613
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The 10/22 manual specifically states not to use shot cartridges.
I read the manual, obviously not close enough. My neighbor uses them to shoot thrushes that have an annoying and destructive habit of making large holes in the side of your house. I didn't ask him what kind of rifle he was using. Some of the old time farmers around here are still using the .22 rifles they have had in the family for years, long before rifled barrels and semiautomatic rifles.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Squirrelhunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
I read the manual, obviously not close enough. My neighbor uses them to shoot thrushes that have an annoying and destructive habit of making large holes in the side of your house. I didn't ask him what kind of rifle he was using. Some of the old time farmers around here are still using the .22 rifles they have had in the family for years, long before rifled barrels and semiautomatic rifles.
I have a somewhat higher opinion of the little CCI shotshells than Jbowhunt, but unless you have a smoothbore long gun, I think they would probably be best left to use in handguns. The rimfire shotshells aren't designed to cycle semi-automatic firearms, though apparently some of the centerfire ones will. You do have to be close for the shot to work effectively, probably within five yards or so, but I was surprised by their relative killing power - my buddy killed a red squirrel with one out of a 4" Ruger Standard pistol - one shot, one dead squirrel

While I haven't tried the LR shells out of a rifle, the larger .22 WMR shot we tried out of a Savage 93 performed poorly. Maybe at very close range they might pattern acceptably, but I would say they are best left to the few smoothbores out there, or for handguns - as has been mentioned, these loads are commonly used for anti-snake duty.

As my buddy proved, you can add larger shot (like #6 or 7.5 from a 20 gauge) to the little capsules, which in theory could help with penetration, pattern density, and possibly range to a slight extent. That would be something that would require a little trial and error, but is an interesting idea... Personally, I think a Marlin 25 'Garden Gun' and the .22 WMR shot would be the most powerful and useful combination of .22 rimfires and the shotshells, but these guns are hard to find and generally vastly overpriced on the used market nowadays

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 AM
OkieOutlaw
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Due to my living on a small farm in snake country, I always have my 22 pistol on my hip. My favorite is a model 22 Glock with an advantage arms conversion kit mainly because it is so ridiculously light (19.3 oz) fully loaded. I always carry two mags and one is always loaded with CCI shot shells. They are great to get rid of snakes although a little light on some of our bigger rattlers. Out to about 3 ft they will definitely take care of them. I also have some in 9mm for my EDC Glock 26 and these are great on the larger snakes that we encounter here. Neither round will cycle a semiautomatic pistol reliably even the lightweight AA conversion.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:11 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieOutlaw View Post
Due to my living on a small farm in snake country, I always have my 22 pistol on my hip. My favorite is a model 22 Glock with an advantage arms conversion kit mainly because it is so ridiculously light (19.3 oz) fully loaded. I always carry two mags and one is always loaded with CCI shot shells. They are great to get rid of snakes although a little light on some of our bigger rattlers. Out to about 3 ft they will definitely take care of them. I also have some in 9mm for my EDC Glock 26 and these are great on the larger snakes that we encounter here. Neither round will cycle a semiautomatic pistol reliably even the lightweight AA conversion.
If you are within 3 feet of a rattler you are in striking range. Rather use a solid and actually hit them from a distance.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Will CCI shotshells damage the 10/22 barrel? Somebody told me you shouldn't use them with a rifled barrel.
Smoothbore would be your best bet. Think of a shotgun with its choke and how the shot pellets get re-directed at the front of the barrel....all the rifling does is rob energy from the shot! I know the CCI's have the blue plastic cone over the shot but what that exactly does for performance which is lacking big time is beyond me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbowhunt View Post
They are really a crappy product. They may or may not cycle the action. Effective range is about 3 feet. Most folks use them in revolvers to shoot snakes. Even then they suck. Don't waste your money on them.
Tried the CCI's in a Marlin 60 and they performed exactly as you say.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:35 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Smoothbore would be your best bet. Think of a shotgun with its choke and how the shot pellets get re-directed at the front of the barrel....all the rifling does is rob energy from the shot! I know the CCI's have the blue plastic cone over the shot but what that exactly does for performance which is lacking big time is beyond me?

Tried the CCI's in a Marlin 60 and they performed exactly as you say.

Actually, if you put a rifled choke tube in a shotgun (like you'd use for a sabot slug) and then shoot a load of shot at a patterning board, you'll see that the pattern opens up MUCH quicker. And then as it continues to open, it turns donut shaped with a big hole in the middle.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Actually, if you put a rifled choke tube in a shotgun (like you'd use for a sabot slug) and then shoot a load of shot at a patterning board, you'll see that the pattern opens up MUCH quicker. And then as it continues to open, it turns donut shaped with a big hole in the middle.
Centrifugal Force at play here.

My reference to the "Shotgun" choke was an effort to show just how much is at play directing the shot via the bores surface as much of the shot must want to spread out if it were not for the confines of the bore holding the shot in place. Now add rifling to this scenario and it shows how detrimental rifling is to the shots energy retention!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:32 PM
OkieOutlaw
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well pardon me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
If you are within 3 feet of a rattler you are in striking range. Rather use a solid and actually hit them from a distance.
We have only owned this farm for a little over 30 years now, and have dispatched literally hundreds of snakes in that time. No one in my family has ever been bitten or even close.

Last edited by OkieOutlaw; 04-04-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Creed Bennett

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The crimped brass ones a much more potent than the blue plastic ones. I use them in a single six for snakes on my place. Copperheads hate them!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:22 PM
ronbo613
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The fact the shotshells are kind of weak makes sense as to why my neighbor uses them to get rid of these birds; you want to kill the bird, but you don't want to blow a hole in the side of your house. The bird can make a fully adequate hole in the house without spending any money on ammo. Reckon I'll just scare them away.

Nothing like a bird pecking on the side of your house at 5:30 in the morning...
Old 04-04-2015, 05:17 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
The fact the shotshells are kind of weak makes sense as to why my neighbor uses them to get rid of these birds; you want to kill the bird, but you don't want to blow a hole in the side of your house. The bird can make a fully adequate hole in the house without spending any money on ammo. Reckon I'll just scare them away.

Nothing like a bird pecking on the side of your house at 5:30 in the morning...
We have peliated woodpeckers (BIIG wood peckers...) One year one of the local males found that our metal chimney made a GREAT mating signal/racket. Oy gevalt! All sorts of noise in the house from it.