Help With Sights! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
onemangang

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help With Sights!

As some of you know, I was in the market for a "truck-gun". I ended up getting yet another 10/22.
I took it out to see how it shot. Trigger was as expected...stiff.
My sights were way off. As I proceeded to adjust windage with the recommended brass punch, the punch slipped and proceeded to REMOVE my rear sight! No, the base didn't slide out of the notch, the flip-up sight BROKE off!
So here I am! What do you guys recommend? I really don't like the flip-up sight. I've proved it's "flimsyness". I was looking at Cabela's and they had the Fire Sights for $27.99 and the Zephyr System for $32.99.

OR, can I humbly ask if anyone has anything laying around they may want to get rid of CHEAP? Again, durability is crucial due to the fact that this is a truck gun and the fact that I have 10 thumbs and can break an anvil!
Old 03-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Snake45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
I'm not sure how sturdy either the Williams or the Zephyr sights will be for your intended "knockaround" application, especially since both require a higher (more fragile) front sight as well.

I gather that there are a LOT of factory take-off barrels floating around here at RFC. Someone was asking last week about how to cut them up and make wind chimes out of them! I'll bet if you asked, you could get a lifetime supply of the factory Ruger flip-up rear sights for FREE, or at worst the cost of postage--enough for you to break, lose, knock one off, etc every two or three months for the rest of the century!
Old 03-09-2004, 06:10 PM
DWARREN123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried a set of Williams Fire Sights, the front was okay but the rear was too loose. You can get replacement sights at Brownell's for you firearm, they look like originals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 06:36 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Marbles folding windage adjustable rear sight will fit and is much more rugged. $18 at Midway.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:06 AM
onemangang

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any advice on removing the base of the rear sight?
That sucker is in there!
Also, if it's that hard to remove, isn't it going to be a bear to put the new one in without breaking it too?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Rex M

Some rear sights are direction oriented; in other words the dovetail gets tighter as it goes in one direction. For example, the sight may get tighter in the slot as it is driven to the right. You should look at a manual to see which direction to remove yours. You may actually be tightening it in.

I broke two front sights, the origingal and then later the first replacement, off of a Marlin 39 by trying to remove it the wrong direction. An expensive lesson.

Rex
Old 03-10-2004, 11:00 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb Dovetail Sight Standards

onemangang,

Almost all US firearms manufacturers use the following standard for barrel mounted dovetailed sights:

Drive IN from the RIGHT.

Drive OUT from the LEFT.

In other words, the barrel dovetail gets tighter as you move from right to left...! !

The "Ruger" 10/22's rear sight is a very rugged folding sight, probably made by "Lyman" [until ~ 1975], "Renals" [until ~ 1992], or "Weimann Bros. Mfg." [since 1992]. They are very difficult to tell apart, as "Renals" used to work for "Lyman" and left to form his own company making the 'Lyman' rear sight; when his business folded in 1992, it is believed ""Weimann Bros. Mfg." picked-up the tooling "Renals" was using, so the sights look almost the same....! !

I would call "Ruger" and ask for a new rear sight, telling them the original just 'broke'...! !

Ruger Customer Service [10/22's]: 1-603-865-2442

Good Luck...! !