Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Carbmonster
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sears and Roebuck Marlin 81

Hi all, I am new to the forum. Found you guys a few days ago when I bought an old Glenfield Marlin Mod 60 which was a jammomatic. I broke the whole thing down and thoroughly cleaned every surface with picks and cuetips and still could not get the thing to eject, extract and feed. Looked over all the "Model 60 Problem" threads here and could find nothing relating to my gun. Ejector spring end was in the right place. All surfaces lubed with graphite. I am a fair hand at smithing since I have worked on all of my own guns since I was ten. I have spent more money and time on guns in sixteen years of gun ownership than some folks will spend in a lifetime.Rarely found a problem I can't fix. Well that little old Glenfield pushed my patience to the limit. Reckon if I can't fix it I shouldn't own it.

Well, I gave up and sold the old gal(even though it was a "Squirrel Stock" gun) today and found a very old, but extremely clean J.C. Higgins Sears and Roebuck Marlin Mod 43 bolt action. Got home and found it would not feed. Broke it down and found the lifter all gummed up. Cleaned her up and she works like a charm. It has VERY little rust on the barrel and action. Has the funny chrome trigger guard, which isn't as funny when you consider it is prolly baked on so thick it will never rust through.

Anyway, I wanted to be an automatic Marlin man, but ended up being a bolt man. Don't know why but people rarely take care of their .22's, which appears to result in a lot of pawnshop autos that are too much trouble to deal with. Believe it or not, the Mod 60 was my first twenty two and I bought it last Friday. I am on my second in a week and could not be happier with it. My first gun was an NEF .410 when I was ten. Somehow I never managed to own a .22 in these last sixteen years. I am now, thanks to this little marlin department store gun, a devout believer in the old school squirrel rifle. Clean Walnut(not beech) stock. Smooth as glass brass mag tube. No serial number. Lots of fun. Glad to see such a large community of devout rimfire fans that, from the looks of it are always willing to lend a tip to whomever needs it.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Carbmonster
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just blooded the new Marlin on a couple of squirrels in the front yard. Awesome. Cheap fun and lots of beasties to shoot at.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Welcome to the forum
Sorry to hear about the 60, they are ussually very reliable and easy to fix.
It sounds like we have the same rifle. Mine is a JC Higgins 103. Here is what it looks like after a stock refinish

It is fun and very accurate.

Mals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 AM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Kinda like mine too.

Sears 103.229 / Marlin 81, circa '55-56. Shoots anything but Mini-Mags, drops them down into the cavity in the stock.

Bob
Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
ReMaRug
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your Sears/81. It should be a lot of fun in the future.

Recently lost an auction for an nice looking Marlin 81, but managed to pick up an almost as nice 80 as consolation. Can't wait for it to get here. From the photos, it's almost a spittin' image of the J.C. Higgins/Marlin 80 I had as a kid.

Wasn't too proud of that gun then, seemed awfully heavy and bulky for a .22. Sold it for $25 when I got older. It was always phenomenally accurate, but back then I thought all .22s were like that. The foolishness of youth... Wish I had that gun back.
Bob
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
my old sears marlin 43/81

I got my Sears 43 when i was 9, am now 57. How time flies, and still enjoying that and all my other 22's I have acquired over the years. Just can't beat these little gems!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 PM
jdh4659

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
can the model 81 shoot wmrs?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
No.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM
TexMexSu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We had a couple model 60's that would get a little finicky after shooting a 100 rounds or so. When I got our first bolt action/tube fed Marlin I quickly sold the 2 60's.

They shoot anything and everything. Shorts, long, long rifle without any issues.

Not sure exactly how many we have but I am always looking to add another to the collection.

Lots of interchangeable parts and they are easy to get.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM
pfgrubb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Revelation M110 / Marlin 81 feeding problems

Greetings all...

New to the forum, and only started my collection of .22's about a year and a half ago. Now I have 3 rifles, and one 1911-22.

Picked up a Western Auto Revelation M110 which is actually a Marlin 81. It has a serial number on it that starts with 70, so I am guessing it was manufactured in 1970. BUT...it has the chromed trigger guard? Got is used for $60 at my local gun shop as a resto project for my 12 year old son.

I took it to test it out, and was having severe feeding problems. The head of the bullet would rise up too far, and not go in the chamber unless I pressed it down. Sometimes the bolt would pass over the round without catching it as well. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what the fix is?

Despite this, we were shooting nice 1" groups at 100yds with a 10X scope. With a little work, we'll be shooting .45 shells off the backstop I guarantee.

Any advice is welcome...

PFG
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Does yours have the little metal tab that the bullet is touching? It is the cartridge guide.

If the rounds are not coming up it may be that the lifter is dirty and hanging up,
give the lifter assembly a good cleaning

and a little oilt so that it moves smoothly. Also check that the spring inthe mag tube is pushing the rounds down into the lifter. If not clean the inner mag tube and spring.

Mals
Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Tony3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

I am about to be the owner of a Ranger 103-13 which, I believe was made by Marlin based on the model 81. Anyone here have the same model. How do they compare to the 81? Can someone shed light on the history of this gun? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Tony3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsn View Post
Marlins that were made for Sears before WWII were marked Ranger. No sporting firearms were made by Marlin from 1942 to 1944. Afterwards.. Marlins that were made for Sears were marked JC Higgins so your rifle will be an early model 81...somewhere between 1937 to 1941.

The Model 81 has undergone many changes over the years so I've just hit a few high spots for comparisons.
Your rifle should have ballard rifling.. which was changed to micro groove around 1953.
Hooks and springs for extractors,,, Marlin changed to the band type that is still in use today back in '52 and your receiver won't be dovetailed for scope mounts... Marlin began dovetailing receivers in the mid-50's.
Like I say...just a few high spots.

Congrats on your new rifle...hope you'll post a picture when you get a chance.
Thanks for the info---that really helped. So I have a 60 year old gun...From what i can tell, it's still in good shape. I will post pics when I have it in my hands.....I guess parts are hard to come by. Can I use Marlin 81 parts? Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 PM
M.Carlson
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm glad I found this thread. (I know it's a little old.) I have a JC Higgins 103.229 that had a major feed problem.

The fault was the cartridge guide spring.
You can see here that the Cartridge Guide is folded nearly in half.

Recessed area in the bolt for the cartridge guide

I found the part at Numrich. Here is a comparison between the damaged part, and the replacement part. You can see that the tip of the cartridge guide was folded up into the top of the receiver.

Here's a view right after I re attached the barrel to the receiver. (I should have taken photos of the slot in the barrel that the Cartridge guide sits in.)

Completed Rifle.

Completed Rifle.
I'll test fire in the morning with both 22LR and 22 Shorts.

Last edited by M.Carlson; 09-11-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
longbow man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
J. C. Higgins 103.229

I have a j c higgins 103.229 that was given to me by my Grandfather shortly before he passed away. I have been trying to find a feeding mechanism for some time. Does anyone know where i might locate one.