Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
dangerranger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Steel Challange

Does anyone here shoot the steel chalange? I have gotten an invite to try . I have a Ruger MK1 with enough magasines to give it a go. I cant find much info on the net about it. Is there anything else I need to get started? and what type of practice should I do to get ready? I have two weeks. thanks DR
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Southernjeepn06

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've done it twice and loved it. I haven't been back but thats bc of scheduling and working on other projects. Here are some pics from the last time I shot.

What gun do you plan on using? Open sights or a holographic are good choices. A tube red dot is not the best because you can loose the dot while transitioning between plates and lose time. C-more is the best from what I've seen and read.

Don't need much to get started. Just enough mags which you said. You may want to invest in a speedloader or your thumb is going hate you. Here are some pics from some of the stages we shot.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7&l=ba6b3043a0

Here is the description of steel challenge and some rules on our club website
Quote:
here are several divisions in Steel Challenge in which competitors can compete, all of which follow USPSA Divisions. Steel Challenge also recognizes .22 Rimfire (both iron sights and optics). Unlike Practical Shooting, Steel Challenge does not have a power factor so competitors will tend to shoot “minor” or downloaded ammunition. Competitors start each run with their wrists above their shoulders and handgun holstered (unless they are shooting rimfire which requires the competitor to start at the “high-ready”).

Because there is limited movement required; no power factor; and .22 rimfire is allowed; it is a great sport for someone to start in “Action Pistol Shooting.” Also, Steel Challenge is a great start platform for Juniors who are interested in shooting.
The matches consist of 5 stages with at least two of the stages being actual "Steel Challenge" stages. The other stages will be various courses of fire including USPSA style poppers, Texas Stars, bowling pins, and other steel targets. Contact: Jack Suber email (803)206-5917 Match Director, Jack Suber shares Match Director responsibilities with Phil STURM
Click for Match Results
Anyone is welcome to come out and shoot. There are centerfire and rimfire categories, and pistols may use fixed sights or electronic optic sighting systems. Membership in USPSA is NOT required.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 PM
loulander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the pictures. Very interesting.

Loulander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Southernjeepn06

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I posted in a rush but a little more info. Don't quote me on this but I think we shot the stage 5 times and dropped the lowest one. We got penalized for missing a target. Each stage has 5 "targets" with the one with the red being shot last. You can shoot in any order but you must shoot the red one last.

I used a rimfire so I started at high ready *chest level. I had to show clear after each time finishing and after I was done, i had to bag my gun. So i'd suggest bringing some sort of case because I didn't the first time I went. Each month the stages change so there is always something new. It's a good idea to visualize how you want to shoot the stage and if you can, shoot near the end of your group so you can see how other people shoot it.

Being this is your first time, it's okay to go slower and progressively see if you can shoot it faster. A miss is always going to take you more time so try to hit all the targets the first time. You aren't going for a win the first time so slow down and practice the basics and have good form. This will help later if you want to start doing this competively. Some of the more seasoned guys I've shot with can hit all 5 in less than 4 seconds.

Here are some tips that may help.
http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Infor...steeltips.html
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 PM
gr7070

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steel Challenge is a blast.

Bring a pistol case/bag that closes. Rimfire start from low ready, not a holster. Therefore I've always seen rimfires removed from a case, shot, and then returned to the case after shooting the stage.

Bring plenty of extra ammo just in case.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Gary C
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Sounds like a lot of fun. Is there a website for it, and a list of open competitions?

Gary
Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Chadwick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's my favorite shooting discipline... As others have said, a slow hit will always be faster than a "fast" miss... I shoot 3-4 matches a month and have since I was thirteen... I also think that as a whole the club level matches are full of the most helpful people out there... When I was thirteen I would run a stage in 5 seconds or so, now eight years later (21 yrs old) and can clear a 5 target stage in 1.00 - 1.90 seconds depending on the plate lay out... And it's a blast!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Combat Commander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chadwick, where do you shoot the Matches at ?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM
dangerranger

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
thanks guys I have a Ruger MK1, with its factory target sights. at what distance do I need to zero at? do you shoot each stage 5 times in sucession? or in rotation with your squad? thanks, I know Ill have more questions later. like should I practice on targets at 5' off the ground? DR
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM
gr7070

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's the 8 different stages. Click on the diagrams. This will tell you what kind of shots you're looking at.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Challenge

Really, though, just make sure you show up to the first match. Practice or not, clueless or not. Just show up and shoot a match.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Southernjeepn06

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
you wont need to adjust your sites for any of the targets. There isn't enough drop and you shouldn't have any stages over 25 yards (Don't even think they go past 15 yards). A target 5 ft of the ground is a good starting point but shooting the match is going help more than shooting at paper.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 PM
gr7070

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernjeepn06 View Post
you shouldn't have any stages over 25 yards (Don't even think they go past 15 yards).
One of the stages reaches out to 35 yds.

That said, it's still plenty close.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 PM
dangerranger

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernjeepn06 View Post
you wont need to adjust your sites for any of the targets. There isn't enough drop and you shouldn't have any stages over 25 yards (Don't even think they go past 15 yards). A target 5 ft of the ground is a good starting point but shooting the match is going help more than shooting at paper.
Oh Ill be there! Ill practice at 15 yds then. when I started shooting cowboy action, my first goal was to shoot a clean match then work on speed. DR
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Gary C
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Just watching some of the Steel Challenge on YouTube. Look for Jessie Abbott! WOW

Gary
Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 PM
dangerranger

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I got out and shot today. after finding that it liked Federal 550s better than anything else I had [even the expencive stuff] I could keep ten shot groups down to 1.5" at a slow pace and 2" at a fairly quick pace. next time I go out Ill try the 5 seperate targets at differant distances. all in all a pretty good day. its my wifes pistol and I haddent shot it in at least a year so I had to work out its bugs. it doesnt grip like any of my revolvers. this should be fun. DR