Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 AM
kilogulf59
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 Rifle Scope Query

I had decided to bite the bullet and scope up my M795. I thought I had it down to a 4X Weaver Classic Rimfire http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/r...assic_rimfire/ or a Nikon Prostaff 4X http://www.nikonhunting.com/products..._Nikoplex/6718 which ever was cheaper.

Then I heard about Mueller scopes and saw this unit the Mueller 2-732 Multi-Shot http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU2732IGR. That looked good but, not being a scope person, I really don't know. Now I seek advice as I am in a quandary.

Also, I heed GOOD rings for the Marlin as well...help please?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogulf59 View Post
I had decided to bite the bullet and scope up my M795. I thought I had it down to a 4X Weaver Classic Rimfire http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/r...assic_rimfire/ or a Nikon Prostaff 4X http://www.nikonhunting.com/products..._Nikoplex/6718 which ever was cheaper.

Then I heard about Mueller scopes and saw this unit the Mueller 2-732 Multi-Shot http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU2732IGR. That looked good but, not being a scope person, I really don't know. Now I seek advice as I am in a quandary.

Also, I heed GOOD rings for the Marlin as well...help please?
Keep in mind that the Mueller 2-7X32 reticle is an illuminated dot. The Weaver and Prostaff use duplex reticles.

While its primary function is as a turkey/shotgun reticle, it can do double duty on centerfire and rimfire rifles. The scope, while small as Muellers go, is not that small when compared to the two 4X scopes you are looking at. The illuminated ocular makes it look bulky. The Mueller 2-7X32 reticle is glass etched, and as such, this scope can apparently withstand springer airguns, if so mounted.

As far as rings, I recommend thesteel Burris Signature rings, with the plastic inserts, either Weaver (Burris calls them ZEE) or rimfire format. The only rings that: will not scratch riflescope tube, do no have to be lapped, provide up to 40 MOA of adjustment for those tricky mounting situations.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 AM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I have the Prostaff 4x and consider it an excellent scope. The rings MGT recommends are excellent but expensive. Get em if you have the $. If not, good rings can be had from several companies, Warne, Millet, B Square, etc. Check Midwayusa.com as they have an excellent selection and have the height specifications, which are usually correct or very close. Oh, the Prostaff is around $90 at Natchez and you can get a good selection of rings from them also. They charge a min. of about $15 shipping.
9 fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
kilogulf59
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let me just say thank you for all the helpful input and links that you’re given me. This is a diverse subject with no real right answer and one of which I really know nothing about and apparently many of you have done your homework.

To address a few points made here and elsewhere, the combination will be used for plinking, hunting, and of course Appleseed events. Headshots on squirrels in high branches are a small target.

Every time I try to cut corners, I am screwed, on this I figured I’d do it right and only once therefore my research. Many years ago, I had a cheap .22 scope from Kmart; it didn’t last long at all. Then again, all scopes have come a long way, up in quality and down in price, so maybe a unit like the Barska 4X32 Huntmaster would work out OK for me.

I may not need a 3X to 9X but I do like the versatility of the 2X to 7X unit.

The receiver on the 795 has a grooved receiver same as the M60’s. And on that note, this maount was suggested to me as being both extremely solid and self-centering due to the clamping system of the dovetail. The BKL-261 4" Long Rimfire Unitized Dovetail Mount. Yes, it is expensive but if it’s worth it I don’t mind spending an extra few bucks.

The additional recommendation of the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm my choice hasn’t gotten easier, or has it? I know and trust Sam Damewood (hell, he built my kids three custom handguns that they bet their lives upon and serviced a few of mine) and I know he certainly wouldn’t own three of Redfield’s if they weren’t an excellent, all-around, quality deal. Additionally, they are running a good $25 to $30 cheaper than the Mueller 2-732 Multi-Shot.

Oh and as suggested, this site is loaded with information, http://www.opticstalk.com/

I posted this request for assistance on several forums I visit and I have to say the close-combat/firearms/preparedness-survival people are tops, I got nothing but useful information and personal recommendations. It was hard to decide but I think I have the scope narrowed down now to the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm. The mounts are still up for grabs. They will probably be either the BKL-261 4" Long Rimfire Unitized Dovetail Mount or the Burris ZEE Rings though I like the self-centering BKL clamping method best.

I certainly hope I am not the only scope rooky that has benefitted from this tutorial though I doubt it somehow.

Thank you again and if you think of anything else, don’t hesitate to post. I still have to find a place to purchase these, prices and shipping varies so much.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
The Weaver RV7 is a great scope, 2.5-7x28 and parallax set at 50 yards.

The Burris Signature rings are really superb and I use them frequently on rimfire and centerfire rifles.

to the world of shooting optics - lots of excellent choices, but I still reccomend buying a quality scope. Cheap optics are just a waste of time and money....IMO.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
dugasgunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Don't forget Sightron and Vortex.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 PM
JoeBob1901
National Guard Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Send a message via AIM to JoeBob1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugasgunner View Post
Don't forget Sightron and Vortex.
The Vortex Viper 2-7x32 on closeout at $169.95 is a pretty good deal, and a bit more "compact" without the illuminated reticule on the eye piece as MGT mentioned on the Mueller. The Vortex Viper glass is Japanese and their construction great. Side by side, I'd put the Vortex Viper a few notches up higher than the Mueller 2-7 for marginal cost difference now as they are closeout and a bit better warranty. You might check em out