Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 PM
hectus22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Last Saturday was a good day to be out in the woods for me!!! The day started slow and I moved about 9:30, found a nice comfortable place to sit and then these two showd up about an hour later!!! Got the doe first, then the button buck about 5 minutes later. Both went to "Hunters for the Hungry" as I don't have a freezer right now. I did keep the tender loins though!!! No hunting this weekend, have too many other obligations to take care of, but last weekend sure did brighten things up for me!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Two within 5 minutes! Wow that is a good day.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 PM
hectus22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGJ223 View Post
Had a brother that spent several years at Ft. Riley KS. Loved it. Nice bird!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Got three grays early this morning this morning at the inlaws place, before all the kinfolks showed up and all the food disappeared. Which incidentally I had nothing to do with.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Gottum Nutherin'

Went out this afternoon and picked off another grey squirrely, which makes four for the weekend so far. Don't get to take big bags of squirrels on these small tree plots, just slowly but steady all season long.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:10 PM
hectus22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Small tree plots" seem to be good enough to keep you busy Phil. Nice!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Allen72
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Allen72

Took this crooked spike on 19 November at 7:10am. 125yd offhand shot with my .30-06.
It was a great morning, I watched 4 does and finally he followed the last doe about 25 feet behind her. Luckily for me he dropped in his tracks. Good luck all and happy hunting...
Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Right now the only work I have to do is some outdoors painting, and the high for the day was 45 with wind from 10-15 mph, so I decided not to try it, and carried my wife to her doctor appointment this morning. When we returned home, I had nothing to do indoors for a while, so I decided to put on the hunting clothes and hit the woods. I was easing through a patch of woods when I happened to look across a short distance of field and spotted what looked like a squirrel on the ground. I shouldered the Evanix and looked through the scope and sure enough it was a squirrel, munching on an acorn it looked like. After a few seconds it hopped behind a tree and disappeared. For a moment I figured that was that, as it was a pretty good distance away and there was no way I was going to be able to cross that open field without being spotted and if I were spotted it would bolt and I wouldn't get any shot at all. I crouched down and leaned up against a tree and watched the spot for a few minutes. The squirrel hadn't moved on, it was still there, a few feet up a tree trunk. I leaned back against the tree and thumbed the hammer of the Evanix back to cocked position. A few seconds of thought and I decided that the distance was fairly close to 75 yards, so I rolled the magnification up to 11x on the Burris Timberline where I could use the holdover tic marks on the reticle for a 75 yarder and pushed the AO up to 75 yards. My estimate of distance must have been close, as the squirrels focus was sharpest at 75 yards. MAN 75 yards is a long shot for an airgun I was thinking. There's just not much chance of hitting that danged thing this far away. But, there was little hope of stalking any closer. Gritting my teeth, what to do what to do, I guess I'll try it it's the only chance. I pulled up tighter to the tree, wobbled around a bit, and settled the third mark down from the center of the reticle on the squirrel, steadied up and slowly squeezed the trigger. BLATtanggggg....................plop, and the squirrel tipped over and laid still. My jaw dropped open and I muttered Holy Cow I can't believe it actually hit! I stepped off 82 long paces to the now still squirrel laying by the base of the tree it had been on, which should have been pretty close to the 75 yard guess. As I got closer, I could see that it was large and very orangy colored, not at all like theusual grey squirrels we see all the time. TWO big suprises, not only did the lucky shot hit, I managed to get only the second fox squirrel I have ever seen in 35 years of hunting. I could never have done it without this fine Evanix rifle, which behaves like a really nice .22 rimfire rifle.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Mr. Pick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Phil, nice shot and good story! It's amazing what you do with that air gun. Good work.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Before I bought the Evanix PCP rifle, I had to turn down a lot of shots hunting around here. Too many places where a .22 rimfire could endanger my neighbors. Even CB's travel quite a distance, but even a really powerful pellet gun won't shoot far enough to place my neighbors at risk. I'd hate to go to prison for killing a neighbor accidentally over a squirrel, that would be tragic.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
911JB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tagged this buck at 0930 4 dec 2010, opening day of Iowa shotgun season. 125 yards, mossberg 500 20 g , rifled ported barrel, 3-9x32 bushnell scope, shooting hornaday sst sabots.
He field scored 145, but would have ben better had he not had 2 broken tines. With no teeth left , we field aged this deer at 5 1/2 years old.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice going, JB! That old buck probably wouldn't have made it through the winter, as I'm sure you are very well aware of.

Hunters here in SE Iowa are not having much luck. I'm seeing very poor harvest, much below normal.
I've been checking hunters and deer at the IAAAP during the evening hours and I can tell you, the hunters are for the most part, very discouraged with the hunting this season. Most of them are going home empty handed.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
dhuze

On an island surrounded by land on 3 sides.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice deer. 145 should get it into the Boone and Crocket book.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
911JB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Old Hickory.
While I did see quite a few deer, I dont believe there were as many as years past. I do believe all these doe tags are working. I would almost bet that in the near future they will start reducing the # of doe tags.

dhuze, thanks for the complement. It will be close after deductions. But time will tell. If I had given a bit more thought I would have waited and let the buck come in closer and used my handgun. Last time I looked there weren't that many handgun kills in B&C.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM
AGJ223

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Not what I was planning to hunt but my cz and some 22lr subs did the trick yesterday

Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Early November hunting scenes . . .

. . . view outside of blind window in south Texas.

My brother and his 'Tamale' doe. It's meat was delicious, the animal was young, day was cool and we took pains to process it fast. Mom and her sister's get together to make a batch for the entire clan, and 'cluck away', with relevant facts - conjecture and plain gossip - fun is had by all.