Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Aquaholic54
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question need a barrel

I am in need of a barrel for my 22lr 597. I bought it used from my brother's brother-in-law. The 70 year old fellow had never owned a firearm in his life and stored it in his garage with no oil in the barrel. I bought it from him in a group of items he was selling since he's moving back to Texas from NY. The barrel appears to have rust in the bore. I have also used up 5 brushes and a bottle each of Hoppe's 9, Rem 40-x, and butch's bore shine and I still get dirty patches. I've soaked and scrubbed and patched to no avail. . (burned in cosmoline maybe???)It won't come clean and still looks rusty near the crown.
I can't afford an aftermarket Jarvis or VQ and Remington won't sell me a barrel.
Numrich doesn't have any now.
Anyone know of a used barrel available? It's the model that came with no sights and scoped, but I'd take one with sights if it is good condition.
Oh and even in it's present condition it never jams and shoots 3 in groups @ 50yds. with the ocassional flier.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Aquaholic54~
What kinds of ammo have you tried? Many like subsonics like Wolf MT for testing and I like Eley Target Rifle in our 597s. Minimags are a better high velocity and cheaper if funds are an issue.
You could be right about it being used wo a proper cleaning first when new.
No help on the barrel.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 PM
jbkazam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just go shoot it, and see what it does. You might be surprised. And I mean several hundred rounds. Even if it isn't great, you will still have fun. If it shoots well, you will save some time, and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 PM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had some of mine sit in saltwater for 6 days and I cleaned them up and they shoot fine. They dont look too good but they shoot!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Remman716

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
if you really want a new barrel, see if your local FFL can order you a new one. or check gunbroker/other auction sites
Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Sunset_Va

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are the patches showing rust or powder?
Try WD-40 on your brushes if its rust, or some sort of penetrating oil. Maybe stop one end of the barrel, fill with penetrating oil, and stop the other end up and let sit a week or so.

However all that scrubbing is going to have an effect on the bore too. Have you looked through the bore ? is it pitted? If its not pitted, you are in good shape. Many guns have dark bores and shoot accurately, however they are terrible trying to clean.

Maybe send it to a refinisher and let them reblue the barrel, the pre treatment cleaning may get rid of that fouling/rust.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Sunset_Va

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This:

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunCleaner.html
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
LuckyLark
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
597 22lr barrel

PM sent.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Aquaholic54

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure I'd be able to change the part from my barrel to yours.

Thanks for the offer.
TF
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Aquaholic54

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
barrel rust/fouling

It does look pitted and the stuff coming out is black like carbon or powder fouling.
I have some Kroil coming and I will try that when it gets here.
Overall it shoots decent, but I would like it to be better. I may see my local 'smith to see what he'd charge to order a new barrel. Another option is the nearest Remington authorised repair shop is only 60 miles from me, so I may take a ride there and let them look at it.

Thanks for all your suggestions and replies and keep 'em coming all help is appreciated.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
22cracker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to 22cracker
i have a barrel

i took the factory off and replaced with a jarvis. it was pretty accurate when i took it off. how much ya willing to buy for, oh it has the open sites still on pm if you want.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:20 AM
docv_73
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to docv_73
CLR and a green scratchy works wonders. Let the CLR set for at least 10 minutes before starting to scrub.

If none of that works, let me know, I am pretty sure I have an used extra factory sporter barrel. Probably painted, but shouldn't have any rust and the crown is still like new.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Aquaholic54

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
finally clean

I got some Kroil and plugged up the bore and filled it up. I let it soak for a day then scrubbed with a new brush and patched out till dry then cleaned it with Butch's Bore Shine. The patches finally showed clean. I talked to the previous owner and he said he didn't think he cleaned it before he shot it the first time. I believe the stuff was grease or cosmoline burned in the barrel. However..........it still is pitted and has some other type of marks in the bore that look like poor machining or galling only in the grooves tho.
But here's the best part, it's accurate even as is. I have shot group after group at 25 yds with all the holes touching each other (5 shot groups from a rest) using federal bulk ammo. I guess it just needed to be fully cleaned to get some good results.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Remman716

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good to hear. try some cci minimags or wolf mt and i think you'll be impressed
Old 08-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Aquaholic54

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh yeah, anybody had this issue before??

After reassembly and test firing it leaves one round in the clip and activates the hold open. Does it almost all the time. I suspect I got something wrong when I reassembled it. i had the clips apart to clean them too, maybe it's the clips? If anyone has had this problem and can tell me what it was I can fix it more easily.

Thanks all for suggestions and help.
Aquaholic