Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
they have already stopped guns + ammo here in nj - k mart stopped guns + ammo sales here about 15 years ago - sports authority about 8 years ago - only one selling are dicks + they have limited ammo supplies -
What do you expect, its NJ. They are one of the most oppressive states for citzen's rights in the entire country.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw-op View Post
the walmart here just remodeled. they put the guns and sporting goods way back in the store.

i think the percent to total of total store sales in this dept. has fallen way down and the amount of labor it takes to run it isnt feasable any more.

i spent many years in the grocery business and the same concept applied there. is walmarts thinking correct i dont know but they have dropped the ball.

i discussed this with a manager and he wouldnt tell me his sales in guns but it was a lot at that time.

i think they looked at their return on profit and have given up.

too bad

bob
They put the sporting goods in the back so that you have to walk by everything else so that you are tempted to buy all of the foreign products that they sell.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM
oscar

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePump View Post
No ammo in any of the four Walmarts within driving distance of me. They haven't sold guns and ammo since the mid 90's and some never sold it at all.
jerseys like a whole different place! totally different than everywhere else.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
hans471
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I live in Louisville, KY and we are a gun friendly, game hunting state. Here in town we have a lot of Walmarts but only one or two that still sells guns. I got a little Marlin recently and while spending almost an hour in the store to buy a $200 rifle the business man in me wondered why they even bothered to sell these. Then have to be losing money on them. It took a long time to do the paperwork then they had to have a manager come and double check it then walk me out to my car. This is not a way to do things for a company that wants a fast turn over and maximum performance. They are operating on low profit margins and have to make the most money in the least time. The gun rack is NOT the place to do this.

I can only assume that they keep what few they have left (and they don't have many compared to a few years back) because the sporting goods department is so big in my store due to the location we are in. Lots of hunters and fishermen here. In a big mega store they built a few miles on the other side of me they have ammo but no guns at all.

Face it, they are in business for profit and if guns don't produce a good return either by direct sales or by ammo and accessories then they will drop them. This is America in the twenty first century. Big business doesn't care about your hobby, they are only in business to make money.

I was chatting with a older clerk at Dick's Sporting goods last week and he told me the same story. He said Dicks only kept the guns because they had gotten their start as an outdoors hunting and fishing store. He was quite frank when he pointed out across the store and said Dicks was now a sports clothing store with a little room in the back that still had a few guns. Same story, they made their money selling women's athletic looking clothes, not guns.

The writing is on the walls boys, big stores will get out of the gun business.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
My local Wal-mart will no longer order guns but will sell what they have. The clerk told me that they can't order anything it just shows up in a shipment. The local gunshops are all so high that I'll just keep buying off gunbroker and have my local pawnshop do the paperwork. It is funny that it takes them all of 5 minutes to do and they make $35 for doing it.
For those who say you should support your local gunshop I would agree if they would sell stuff at the manufacturer's retail price or less. Since they all are marked up higher than that I'll keep buying online.

- Frank
Old 02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
spicer107
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
managers

have a friend that use to work in the sporting good department of my local wal-mart. He is an avid outdoorsman and while he worked there wal-mart had a great selection of hunting and shooting equipment, after he left it went downhill. He told me that the head associate in sporting goods has alot of say in what is ordered, if that person does not know what the locals are wanting then it's left up to what a district manager in some other area says to stock.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 AM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyNC View Post
I don't want to contribute to any "Scare tactics" or add to rumors to Walmart stopping gun and ammo sales, but I got the very same reaction here in NC. While the associates may not have any concrete projections they sure don't have a positive feel for future stocks and inventory. Personally, I feel Walmart corporate should be smart enough to realize where the sales are and right now anything that resembles going bang is a seller/mover. N.C. is a state of hunters, farmers and many shooters hunting and shooting on both private and public shooting grounds. I can't see them pulling the plug on a cash cow here. I also have to believe WM has their birddogs searching for additional sources of shooting supplies to fill their empty shelves. After all, the more they sell, the more their corporate profits increase. I can't see them cutting a money stream. Willy
Preach!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
McPhee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cortez CO Walmart sells guns

I have purchased 4 guns from Wal-Mart in the last few months. They have two round racks. One rack has shotguns and the other has rimfire and larger calibers. It takes about the same time there to buy as it does at the local gun shops.

I asked it they would order one for me. They showed me a catalog and they had 4 models of the brand that I wanted to buy. They said it takes about two weeks to get one.

Their ammo has been short like everywhere else. But stock is improving. And they have a fair selection of scopes, mounts, reloading, black powder supplies, etc.

I also called the Durango WM store for a gun and they said they sold guns but they did not have the one I wanted in stock.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think that Wal Mart management is smart enough to sell what makes a profit for them. If a particular department does not return the profit margin they need it's gone.

I live 25 minutes from one Wal Mart, 1 1/2 hours from another, and 2 hours from another. All of them have guns and ammo and the farther one even has reloading supplies.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Sottyman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Sottyman
Auburn, AL here- the Walmart I go to doesn't sell guns anymore but still has a selection of ammo (surprisingly a LOT of .22), but they rarely have anyone working that department- to get ammo I need to walk over to the electronics or car care areas and ask someone if they would "be so kind as to open the display cases and pull off a brick or two of _______" for me- and they usually do without a fuss. Whatever- as long as I can get my bricks of Federal 550 on the cheap I'm ok with walking the 50 feet to the next department to ask nicely
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
WillyNC
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sottyman, try this. Do a google search for Walmarts in your area. Put their phone numbers in your cell. When you get to the counter and can not find an associate, call their switchboard and ask them to page the associate for sporting goods. This gets them there without you running around looking for them. Willy
Old 02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
firestar45
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One better than that. My local W/M had a phone on the counter with the speed dial marked. When I couldn't find an associate, I would just pick up the phone and call the manager, that got prompt results.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM
nra4usa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walmart is very aware that ammo is in demand and that selling ammo gets people into the stores. Every retailer knows how important it is to get people into the stores. When I stop in to pick up a couple bricks of Federal .22s or a few boxes of 9mm I always end up buying other stuff.

nra4usa
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Gunsnjeeps
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to go home to see family if you 9mm in Ohio. Walmart dropped guns in some stores based on sales (expensive inventory)and other based on location (urban). Some are willing to order some won't (salespeople are different). Ammo moves as fast as it is stocked, remember when we had to blow dust off of it or went back a week later and bough the box we didn't buy the first time. My closest store dropped guns but still carries ammo. It moves as fast as it comes in. Some of the Super Centers have been able to build up rifle ammo but pistol and 22 still moves.

I remember when Dick's had bigger firearms departments and reloading equipment. I remember when Sports Authority decided to drop guns because sales were dropping (to Walmart) but they said it was for consumer safety (last visit to SA). But then again I remember American Eagle Outfitters being an outfitter, with camping supplies and canoes in the 80's.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:14 PM
ottosear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here in Wisconsin, Walwart stopped guns maybe 5 years ago. Ammo is hit and miss. And they put limits on it. I was going through my gun stuff and guess what I found ? A box of 30/30 with a Target sales tag on it. They are so far removed Sporting Goods wise today . We will probably say the same for Walmart in 20 years !