Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Gibletks
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Front action screw 17v

I use my Marlin 17v mosltly for hunting and target shooting. I replaced the junky stock with a pepper laminate. I pretty much baby my guns and am not rough with them in the woods or in storage.
My problem is: My front action screw in my 17v keeps coming loose. I will go to the safe to check in on it or will head out for the woods and notice the action will slide front to rear slightly because of the loose screw. I do not know what the cause of this may be, but I would like to resolve it to help with consistent accuracy. I have not bed the action and I am concerned that if I tighten the front screw too much, I might set it into the laminate stock that I put the gun into.

Should I put removable locktight on the action screw and lug? Should I bed the action and hope for the best? Should I crank down on the screw until I cant twist anymore? All questions I have and I figured I would ask them.

Help me out with this little problem.

Gibson
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
If the rifle seems to shoot okay when tightened as you normally do, I'd just add a drop of Blue loctite on the screw and go on from there, however if you're getting eratic accuracy, then I'd be tempted to bed the action.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
natman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's some tips on how I bedded my Marlin 17VR:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=168944
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Gibletks
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What are the reasons for not wanting the bedding to completely suround the recoil lug? Wouldnt that make for a more stable and consistent platform?