Single Set Trigger . . . - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Tim Hogg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single Set Trigger . . .

I am an uber-newbie, but I have developed an unmistakable "CZ-on" for a CZ.

I've got a 10/22 that is a really fun plinkin' machine, but for some reason you guys are sucking me into this CZ thing. The more I read, the more I want one.

I'm really interested in the value of the SS trigger and the varmint version. I really am. I want to know what you guys think. If it's a bolt action than I think I want to go with .17HMR. The problem is the .22 ammo is so cheap and interesting in the various versions that are out there. But if I'm going to go bolt action, I'm not going to be "plinking" like I do with my 10/22. If I'm going to get a CZ, is it worth it to go with the Varmint version? Single set?

I'm biting my nails to the bone, fellas. I've got some money in my pocket and it's burning a hole. On top of that, I think the wife is saying it's fine if I buy another rifle.

Are you hearing me?

Now what?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
TOU
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hogg View Post

I've got a 10/22 that is a really fun plinkin' machine, but for some reason you guys are sucking me into this CZ thing. The more I read, the more I want one.

I'm really interested in the value of the SS trigger and the varmint version. I really am. I want to know what you guys think. If it's a bolt action than I think I want to go with .17HMR. The problem is the .22 ammo is so cheap and interesting in the various versions that are out there. But if I'm going to go bolt action, I'm not going to be "plinking" like I do with my 10/22. If I'm going to get a CZ, is it worth it to go with the Varmint version? Single set?

I'm biting my nails to the bone, fellas. I've got some money in my pocket and it's burning a hole. On top of that, I think the wife is saying it's fine if I buy another rifle.

Are you hearing me?

Now what?

Maybe a 453 American or Varmint in 17 HM2 would scratch that itch, no?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
gordonmcw

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
what exactly are you wanting to do with it?

I've never used the set trigger in a CZ, but have handled a few in a local shop I frequent. Personally, I prefer the standard trigger, with a trigger kit from Eric Brooks installed to reduce the creep and trigger weight. I've got a trainer, my wife has a Lux, and our two sons have another trainer and a scout.

If you're wanting to use a scope, I'd think strongly about the 452 American. I'm using my trainer (same style stock as the lux) with iron sights, with the rear blade replaced by an aperture (again, from Eric Brooks, he's a site sponsor here that has a part-time CZ452 parts business). I say I suggest the american with a scope because on the trainer / lux / scout you have to mount the scope fairly high to clear the rear sight, and the stock design of the lux / trainer doesn't lend itself to a real consistent cheek weld with a high mounted scope. Please keep in mind this is all my opinion, not a hard and fast "fact" - there are plenty of folks that use scopes on the trainer / lux european style stock with no problems.

Besides that, the American is pretty well polished and blued, the lux & trainer are a matte finish bluing. If I was to be in the market for another CZ, I'd be thinking about an American 452 without the set trigger. I'd rather drop 15 bucks or so for Eric's kit, than the 100 bucks or so extra for the 453.

My wife prefers the style of the European lux type stock, so that's what she's got. If you've got your wife's blessing, take her along and let her pick one she likes! My wife doesn't go shoot with me very often, but once in a great while we'll go together to the indoor range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 PM
cslinger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The single set trigger in the new CZs is fantastic. That being said the Brookes trigger kit is also fantasic and an easy install.

If you want a Varmint or an American it is probably just easier to buy a 453 with the single set trigger.

If you have your heart set on one of the other versions that you have to get in a 452, don't fret as you can make the trigger spectacular with very little money and very little time.

Chris
Old 01-12-2007, 11:43 PM
bdhaley
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdhaley
Since I have both the regular trigger and the set trigger in CZ's I will have to give my vote to the 453 as well. The regular CZ trigger with the Brookes kit is ok but not great - The set trigger in the 453 is absolutely wonderful.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 AM
beammeupscotty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"But if I'm going to go bolt action, I'm not going to be "plinking"

Why on earth not? I pretty much ONLY shoot bolt actions and all I DO is plinking.

I own a .17 HMR CZ and while I like it, I rarely shoot it because the ammo costs at least 3 times as much as a .22, and I find that I shoot a .22 just as well out to 150 yards as I do a .17. I wouldn't use either one for anything serious beyond that range.

Get whichever rifle feels better to you. Trigger wise, the 452 with a Brooks kit is nearly as nice as a properly adjusted 453 set trigger, though it lacks the feature of being able to select which pull weight you want. Certainly, the stock 453 trigger is much better that the stock 452 trigger, so if you don't want to have to do any work at all on the gun, go with the 453.

Oh yeah, one more thiing. If you like to shoot at spinners and the like, the .17 HMR is going to make hamburger out of your .22 spinners over time. Even out at 150 yards the .17 bends them up. At 100 yards it carves chunks out of them.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Bucktail Bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I won't comment on Varmint or American but will on the set trigger.

I have a 453 in 17hmr. For a week when I first had the set trigger after I fully adjusted it, I could not get used to the position of the set in relation to what my finger was used to, it's further forward. I did not know if I would use it or not. I think this is why you here comments simular from those whom have just tried it a few times. Long story short, I got used to it and love it. It's all I use on the bench and for woodchucks, even off hand. I have my normal trigger adjusted well and my accuracy is better at the bench with the set. The set is very,very light.

I like it for what I do very much.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:27 PM
tjj
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hogg View Post

Are you hearing me?

Now what?
I just got back from sighting in my new 452 varmint in 17 HMR. I too agonized over which one to get. In fact I had the 453 on order then called back the next day to get the 452 instead. I was concerned with some comments about the trigger being set fairly far forward of the normal position when set. With my stubby fingers I felt that would be uncomfortable for me so I opted for the 452. I installed a Brooks trigger kit and am very, very pleased with it. The pull is set to about one pound (I could have gone a bit lower if I wanted).
Range conditions were very windy although it was almost a tail wind at 10-20 mph. My bench rest needs a little help but my best group was 5 shots in .529" at 100yds. Not bad for first time with the new setup on a windy day.

BTW: I'm a rookie at this .17 and bench stuff. Just got interested about a couple months ago. Some say it's habit forming. I can see why!

Last edited by tjj; 01-13-2007 at 04:31 PM.