The Watering Hole 4-19-2021 - Page 24 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #346  
Old 04-22-2021, 03:54 PM
Szumi's Avatar
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2011
Location: 
Between Hell and Paradise
Posts: 
1,060
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
My Pyramid Air order got broken into two shipments, one from Ohio and the other from Utah. I figured the item I wanted the most would be in the package coming next week. No for a change. My Air Venturi/Springfield Arms XdM 4.5 bb pistol showed up today. It is a faithful replica of the pistol I normally shoot in action pistol. The CO2 cart goes into a zamac magazine and it sounds like it gets stripped out. I put lube on the threads today. I'll bring home a dab of anti seize tomorrow from my tool box. I gave it a test run, while it doesn't have the recoil of a 9mm, it has enough going on that it feels close to the real thing. I'll be doing a bit of draw and engage with this in the yard saving expending 9mm at the club.

I guess the roads were icy this morning. I had a bumper wart that I lost patience with. Ran the car up to 85 mph putting in some distance. I didn't notice any handling issues. Still running my snow tires. Usually someone on your bumper wants to go around, this one was a follower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Mostly good suggestions, here.

Thank You, too, Lance for trying in your own special way.
BTW. I don't own a P-38. Neither the pistol, nor the can opener.

Used to carry the can opener on my dog tag chain. Stabbed between the ribs traversing a log obstacle. Never carried one again.
I have 6 or 7 'Recruit' Swiss Army knives, bought them when they were 10 bucks piece. Now about $20. Big blade, small blade, two straight screw drivers, a bottle opener and a can opener. The cheesy tweasers have removed a few metal splinters at work. Never used the tooth pick.

Some viscreen for a solar still if you will be in the desert off the beaten track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Already up to 51 degrees here. Cloudy day...

Duck hunting this morning.


Our quarry:
.
That is a photogenic duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Great news, God is good...

Well a bit more stimulus money re-entered the economy today, came across a very nice 1948 Winchester 62 A needing to be re-homed, condition and price were too good to ignore.





I like that. I hope you take her out soon and give us a range report. I'm thinking everyone of us over 60 are drooling. Excellent photography.
__________________

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.

Last edited by Szumi; 04-22-2021 at 04:17 PM.
  #347  
Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 PM
Phil in Alabama's Avatar
Phil in Alabama

Join Date: 
Apr 2002
Location: 
world of pain
Posts: 
6,942
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Running errands for Mom this afternoon. Last chore for the day is a visit to the local tire shop. Two tires keep leaking down, getting them checked out to see what the cause might be.

Head hasn't exploded and not grown any extra appendages yet from "the vaccine".

Waiting at tire shops is boring.
  #348  
Old 04-22-2021, 04:00 PM
Phil in Alabama's Avatar
Phil in Alabama

Join Date: 
Apr 2002
Location: 
world of pain
Posts: 
6,942
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Those old walnut and steel Winchesters were fantastic guns. I'd love to have a Model 63 semiautomatic, one with a scope grooved receiver. Too many other more important things take the money away.
  #349  
Old 04-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
22,258
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
another pair of earing?
Nay -- a gopher snake so safe from me. As long as none of the horses step on him he's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
...came across a very nice 1948 Winchester 62 A needing to be re-homed, condition and price were too good to ignore.
It looks brand new!
__________________
Eleanor Rigby
  #350  
Old 04-22-2021, 04:27 PM
Blackwolfe's Avatar
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

Join Date: 
Oct 2008
Location: 
Sunset Coast MI
Posts: 
1,251
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Nice find Gerald. I'm envious.
__________________
The road of life is littered with dead bunnies that couldn't make a decision.
  #351  
Old 04-22-2021, 04:43 PM
Rock N TN is online now

Join Date: 
Feb 2017
Posts: 
1,875
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Rain gear? Have you looked at the Almanac?

https://www.wunderground.com/history...OD/date/2020-5

https://www.wunderground.com/history...GU/date/2020-5

Take it if you have room but very low on the priority list, IMO.


First, maybe too late to this party, but if you don't have a lot to carry I have found MOLLE pouches on a wide belt to be much more comfy than a backpack. Gets the weight on your hips instead of your neck/back.

https://www.amazon.com/OneTigris-Dua...011R8SNDY?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Orca-Tactical...f=sr_1_15_sspa

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GQKVQH...mobile_desktop

Breakfast bars make handy snacks. Usually a good balance of carbs/fat/protein if you get the good ones. Easy to pack and keep well if not exposed to high heat (eg, left on the dash).

Gatoraide or similar sport drink is better than pure water. Gotta keep the electrolytes balanced. I buy the powered mixes and mix at half-strength. You don't want to drink very much pure water if you're feeling dehydrated.

Small first aid kit is a good idea. A good knife is part of that and by good we mean one that will hold a keen edge.

Chapstick and nail clippers. There are few things more annoying than a split or cracked nail. Guaranteed to snag on everything you touch or try to put your hand into.

A whistle and the ability to make fire. They are hard to find but you can still get old-fashioned stick matches and the waterproof case with the striker on the cap...or just a small butane lighter.

Paracord? I guess. I take some while hunting. I have a six inch or so length of PVC pipe with the paracord wrapped around it and taped down on the ends so it stays put. The PVC can be a carry handle after threading the cord through and tying to whatever. Option B is to coil it then tie the coil into an overhand knot and store it in a ziplock.

TP in ziplock or a commercial "to go" pack. Pretty sure I've seen them at Wally's place.

https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Buds-T...744480-1967253

I expect your day hikes are going to be on established and well-frequented trails so you don't have to pack like a survivalist.

I agree with Mike on the Gatorade. The through hikers we have talked to while doing trail magic, 100 + hikers, they would rather have Propel to mix in their water. Better electrolytes and easier to mix. Cheap too.


Direct from the prettiest country on Gods earth.
  #352  
Old 04-22-2021, 04:49 PM
NoNewTricks's Avatar
NoNewTricks
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2013
Location: 
WNC Tarheel
Posts: 
2,332
TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
...Well a bit more stimulus money re-entered the economy today, came across a very nice 1948 Winchester 62 A needing to be re-homed, condition and price were too good to ignore.
Itís not your fault but sometimes you bring out the green eyed monster in yours truly.

Good find.
__________________
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real. ~Niels Bohr~
  #353  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:15 PM
gmd1950's Avatar
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Mebane, NC
Posts: 
55,477
TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I am incredibly lucky on many of my finds, this rifle has had a very easy life, just stepped out back and ran 3 Super Colibris thru it, good firing pin strikes and decent accuracy on my 10 m back yard target.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member/GOA Life *Esse Quam Videri Ya'll*
  #354  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:21 PM
dbmjr1's Avatar
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2008
Location: 
Where it rarely Sneauxs
Posts: 
913
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Trailer hitch mounted bidet?
He thinks he's joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Yes paracord is a must if you want to stay attached to your parachute.
I found a brand new coil of 50' of nylon rope. Threw it in the bag with a 'D' ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
Lockheed P-38 would be fun!

I was thinking some ibuprofen type of meds for pain.



Now I'm sure on the meds.
While I'm at it, I should pack a day's meds, Justin Case I'm stuck overnight.

Good thinking, Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Rain gear? Have you looked at the Almanac?

https://www.wunderground.com/history...OD/date/2020-5

https://www.wunderground.com/history...GU/date/2020-5

Take it if you have room but very low on the priority list, IMO.


First, maybe too late to this party, but if you don't have a lot to carry I have found MOLLE pouches on a wide belt to be much more comfy than a backpack. Gets the weight on your hips instead of your neck/back.

https://www.amazon.com/OneTigris-Dua...011R8SNDY?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Orca-Tactical...f=sr_1_15_sspa

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GQKVQH...mobile_desktop

Breakfast bars make handy snacks. Usually a good balance of carbs/fat/protein if you get the good ones. Easy to pack and keep well if not exposed to high heat (eg, left on the dash).

Gatoraide or similar sport drink is better than pure water. Gotta keep the electrolytes balanced. I buy the powered mixes and mix at half-strength. You don't want to drink very much pure water if you're feeling dehydrated.

Small first aid kit is a good idea. A good knife is part of that and by good we mean one that will hold a keen edge.

Chapstick and nail clippers. There are few things more annoying than a split or cracked nail. Guaranteed to snag on everything you touch or try to put your hand into.

A whistle and the ability to make fire. They are hard to find but you can still get old-fashioned stick matches and the waterproof case with the striker on the cap...or just a small butane lighter.

Paracord? I guess. I take some while hunting. I have a six inch or so length of PVC pipe with the paracord wrapped around it and taped down on the ends so it stays put. The PVC can be a carry handle after threading the cord through and tying to whatever. Option B is to coil it then tie the coil into an overhand knot and store it in a ziplock.

TP in ziplock or a commercial "to go" pack. Pretty sure I've seen them at Wally's place.

https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Buds-T...744480-1967253

I expect your day hikes are going to be on established and well-frequented trails so you don't have to pack like a survivalist.
All good ideas. My slicker suit is already in the bag. Breakfast bars in a ziplock are a great idea.
A couple of lighters in a ziplock.
I found two of those space blankets. Combined with the rope, I could make a shelter with one.
Wet wipes, no TP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
When I was out that way "Drink Water" was hammered into your head. Hydrate(sp) however you want.But drink fluids.

Sunscreen,might be needed and a hat with a wide brim.
I'm good with the sun. I'm 'that' guy who just get's darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Oh, yeah.... good point. A hat.... not a cap... is a good idea.

As for water, I nearly got in serious trouble while in Egypt many years ago. Very thirsty (tengo una sed que me muero thirsty) and drank too much water. Fortunately bypass-the-brain-and-engage -primitive-survival-instinct kicked in and i vomited quite a bit of it back out. A little bit of salt and putting up with feeling like crap for a few hours got things back on track.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hy...-blood-sodium?
Hydration is crucial. As an NCO the biggest offenders on long marches were females, by a long shot. They didn't want to drink, cause they didn't want to have to pee. I had to medivac one who spiked a 103 temp. After that, mandatory drinking, supervised by an NCO at every rest break.
I take hydration seriously. Water is the best thing. You'll get enough salts in your food.
I've got an aluminum water bottle in the pack, and will back several plastic bottles of water as well.

I thought about bringing my LCE. I still have it. It would give me nice things like an M-9 bayonet, an E tool, and plenty of room to carry everything without a back pack.
I just thought, even though it would be utility, it would look goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Don's trip has me me looking through old photos from my time spent up there.
Pack a tent and come along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Kent is out of surgery and in recovery with a new hip. Doc said lots of arthritis and on the opposite side of where most normal people do. He didn't realize that we're not normal. In my case, an official diagnosis from my oncologist.

Much appreciation for the prayers said guys!!!


Brent
I'm glad that Kent is recovering.

I have a good customer who is leaving, with his wife, for California. She's going to have some cardiac surgery out there. Sounds serious. Praying for a guiding hand for his wife's surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
Its a cold day ,here in the Valley,in the 40s with a wind chill in the 30s.Don,t think it got to freezing last night,but it will try again tonight ,according to the weather guessers.

Knee is a little better today, more rest will be done.

Don,rember where your going there will be almost no humidity,not like home,you wont be able to see the air. And bugs...I dont remember any thing wanting to bite me.Wind,there will always be wind.....
So I should take the can of bug juice out of the pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Well, if it were me I would pack some deer jerky. I imagine HD Frank would pack hot dogs though!


Brent
I'll pack snacks. I like eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
It's that time of year again. You know if he's out so are his cousins.

Now I wonder. Should I pack a NAA with some shake shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Great news, God is good...

Well a bit more stimulus money re-entered the economy today, came across a very nice 1948 Winchester 62 A needing to be re-homed, condition and price were too good to ignore.





That's nice, Gerald. Great condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
. . .

I have 6 or 7 'Recruit' Swiss Army knives, bought them when they were 10 bucks piece. Now about $20. Big blade, small blade, two straight screw drivers, a bottle opener and a can opener. The cheesy tweasers have removed a few metal splinters at work. Never used the tooth pick.

Some viscreen for a solar still if you will be in the desert off the beaten track.



. . .
I attached a 'Tinkerer' to a ring outside of the pack. No tweezers, but I can open a bottle of wine.

I bet Mylar would make a poor solar still. (Space Blankets).



Sophie's right. I'll be on popular marked trails for the most part. Still, I like to be prepared, and sudden storms do happen. Even better if you can help someone else.

Oh, a portable charger for my phone.
__________________
Don



Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  #355  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:21 PM
OldDave
US Marines

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Location: 
Texas
Posts: 
355
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Nice find Gerald. I'm envious.
Me too. Beautiful rifle.
  #356  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:23 PM
dbmjr1's Avatar
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2008
Location: 
Where it rarely Sneauxs
Posts: 
913
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sophie. Yes, I've consulted an almanac. I expect to be in sneaux on the North Rim. I'm prepared for it.

Now I'm off in search of a bag of random snake shot I've got, . . . , somewhere.
__________________
Don



Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  #357  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Wayne Sihler
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2002
Location: 
Shenandoah valley,Va.
Posts: 
764
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A walking stick of some kind,beat off the snakes and prarie dogs,and the random tumble weed....
  #358  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:42 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,016,616
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Our quarry:
.

Does it have a mate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
On Mars!?
She phrased it thataway on purpose.

Good Kent news Brent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Well a bit more stimulus money re-entered the economy today, came across a very nice 1948 Winchester 62 A needing to be re-homed, condition and price were too good to ignore.
Its a looker too!

Bummer with the 410 and posts Wook. Hope it didn't take a tumble.

Grats on the trainer Szumi.

Chair lift elevator installer/repairman had some unknown substance on his shoes and did a hasty cleanup leaving me to cleaner scrub a flight of stairs plus 3 landings.
Needed grub so skipped camp and shagged said grubbery on a sunny 47˚ day.

Heard nada from either handy guy so thats that for tree trimming promises.
Finn's back is sore so we're holding off cranking up the shack water for now. Snow's coming Sat. anywho. If I hear nothing tonight I'll do a solo run and wet a line or offload some ammo, hopefully on semi-auto only.

As I type I see lotsa starlings in distress as a crow is raiding nests in a pine looking for eggs n chicks.
__________________
The better you are, the more lucky you will be.
  #359  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:48 PM
Hawkeye57's Avatar
Hawkeye57

Join Date: 
Nov 2015
Location: 
central Pa.
Posts: 
1,546
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post

Now I'm off in search of a bag of random snake shot I've got, . . . , somewhere.
No need Don. Google will help you out. Put that charm of your to use with a '' snake charming kit ''
https://www.google.com/search?q=Snak...w=1188&bih=543

Nice find Gerald.
__________________
Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground.
  #360  
Old 04-22-2021, 05:53 PM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
22,258
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Now I wonder. Should I pack a NAA with some shake shot?
Nay! Just go around it.

Quote:
Oh, a portable charger for my phone.
I pack a couple of these when going into the outback for more than a couple of days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o00_s00
__________________
Eleanor Rigby
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x