Winchester 72 attributes - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:43 PM
22shtur
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Winchester 72 attributes

I've owned a 69a for a very long time, and am looking at possibly acquiring a model 72. Does the 72 have any improvements over the 69?
Is the accuracy about the same for both, or does one have a better chamber/barrel ?

The 72 rifle looks very good, the stock is excellent with deep checkering and actually looks like the stock was made this morning, it looks that great.

What is a good ballpark price for a 72 with normal or little wear on the metal and mint stock?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:19 PM
jerryray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure but the checkering may not be original. I paid $400 each for a 72 and 72A a couple years ago in separate buys. About 98% condition. I like the tube feed of these but prefer the 69A. No real reason, maybe a better balance but just personal preference mostly.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:34 PM
clisbyclark

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I posted a question about the trigger on the 72A. Mine is quite stiff compared to other premium 22s and some have told me it's more difficult to adjust than a 69.

On the plus side, if you're a hunter, you can load up the tube and hit the woods as opposed to carrying extra ammo or mags for the 69.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 06:38 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I really enjoy my Winchester 72A which has the 80A rear peep and the 101A front bead. An accurate rifle with a whole lot of rounds in the pipe. However, I must say that the 72A is "nose heavy" when she has a "snoot" full. Overall, I prefer shooting the 69A which is both lighter and better balanced. In fact, the 69A might just be the best balanced "old school" (walnut and blue steel) rimfire rifle out there! The Remington 511 is no slouch either but not quite up to the 69A in my humble opinion.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:50 PM
noelekal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put me down for really liking the Winchester Model 72. I sort of have a thing for the tube feed bolt-action rifles. Had a Remington Model 512 when I was young and picked up another Remington Model 512 a few years ago. Having added a Winchester Model 72 to the .22 menagerie I find it to be a notch better than the excellent Remington Model 512.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:06 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2 inch accuracy possible at 100 yards with cheap ammo, s,l, lr interchangeable feeding, crisp trigger and good bolt of the 69 series and 14 shot LR capacity. The 72s may not be as trim or easy to carry as a 10/22 but they are shooters rifles built to a high standard. Just don't try to cram the second sell on the carrier back down when unloading the chamber. You got to take the one out of the chamber and partially cycle the one off the carrier if you are not shooting to empty. You will jam up the works.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:10 AM
22shtur
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Model 72 stock

Thanks for the stock info. I wondered why the metal showed honest wear and the checkered stock looked mint. Now I know it's a replacement stock, but a very nice one.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:05 AM
SvenT2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a 60 year affair with the Model 72 starting on my tenth birthday. All of the 72/72A's I've owned, they shot better than I could hold them. Trigger pull has been pretty uniform of those I've had. One has had the trigger reworked to the "oh,my" stage, evidently for competition, along with Redfield sights.

Enjoy the 72!

Dave
Old 02-21-2021, 11:51 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you find a 72 or 69 with a "broken safety", make a deal on it! The little pin that holds the safety in place can slide out of position causing the safety to fail.. Easy fix to slide the pin back through the hole in the safety lever when you push the pin back into correct position. If someone would build these guns today on CNC machines to the old standards they would out sell Marlin, Savage and be very competitive with CZ. The bolts and triggers are that good.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:13 PM
gray-beard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
72A

I really enjoy my 72A and like taking it to the range.
It is quite accurate and will shoot any ammo that I feed it.
My favorite is CCI SV and it will easily shoot 1" groups at 50 yards.
It doen not have tha adjustable trigger that the 69 has but it still fun to shoot.
The tube magazine is also my favorite choice.
Very good rifle.

GB
Old 03-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too am a 72 guy...I have 2 up and running all the time and 2 or 3 more projects for when the time presents.

I was 15 when I saw the first one, it belonged to my buddy and I coveted that rifle...

I finally got my first one as an adult and then added a few more as time went by...I have one with open iron sights and one that was drilled and tapped for custom 3/4 rings. I replaced the cheap scope with a Weaver J series and I am set with or without glass as is called for...load the tube and hit the woods...72s rule
Old 03-05-2021, 09:32 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Accuracy wise, I believe the 69A and the 72(A) to be equals. I have a few of both and don't really see a difference. The 72's can be a little finicky with feeding, depending on the era of the rifle, whereas the 69A's are all pretty much the same. I'm not going to be any help since I like them both.

As an earlier poster noted, the 72(A) shouldn't have any checkering with a factory stock. It's hard to put a price on an altered rifle. Just remember that it will have little or no collector value, just the value of any other shooter in that configuration.