MCARBO extra power recoil spring: anyone with first-hand knowledge - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:14 PM
surby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MCARBO extra power recoil spring: anyone with first-hand knowledge

anyone with first-hand knowledge (preferably with longer term usage) of how this spring is especially with hyper-velocity (e.g., velocitors) ammo in a marlin 60 or 795? i'm hoping to get some helpful insight. I already know that the hypers are not recommended by marlin. thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:25 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have more than a few 795's and 60's...

Keep the buffer in good shape, keep solvents away from it and change it as needed.

50 years and 17 Million examples later, an 'extra power' spring just isn't needed. Take care of the rifle as it sits, and happily shoot most any ammo in it. As you noted, Stingers = no. Velociters all OK. I shoot my Marlins a LOT many receive a steady diet of High Speed ammo, many get nothing but CCI Standard Velocity. All are OK as long as you clean and care for the buffer!

I love Mcarbo stuff however in this case its not needed.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:26 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh and WELCOME TO RFC!
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 02:11 PM
surby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the input and welcome aboard. I usually maintain my stuff well some times too much maybe.

I thought that the velocitors are also hyper velocity? though slower than most of the other hyper stuff, their higher mass gives them the same muzzle energy as the stingers & etc so won't they force back bolt at same speed/with same force as those hypers do and therefore beat up the buffer the same manner?

I looked into the slow burn powder, peak pressure etc stuff but couldn't get a good take on all that to determine what it all really means. so before just shooting some velocitors while closely monitoring buffer and action/receiver wear, I was hoping that someone that's shooting the velocitors in either a stock 60/795 or in one with the beefed up mcarbo spring would weigh in with their actual use info. worst case, ill just test out and report back after trying them out both ways.

i'm looking at the velocitors for the times when I want/need bit more umph out of the ole 60 (like big racoon or as a sd load for others in the household).
Old 05-06-2020, 04:31 PM
boomer47
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I shoot stinger and velocitors all the time in my '60 with the stock spring.

Velocitor cases are the same length as the .22lr, stingers are a tad longer and may not fully seat in SOME chambers. I have had case rims blow out in Ruger MK pistols and chalked it up to the case not seating all the way. but never in my '60.
My buffer had lasted for years and maybe 4000 rounds of the stingers and velocitors before I changed it out just in case.
Check your buffer when you clean the rifle and shoot away.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:00 PM
SaltH2Odeprived

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one in a 989 M2 for over a year now. I shoot hyper velocity exclusively, it works as intended. It will still cycle MiniMags but will not cycle standard velocity CCI Target.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:24 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Surby,
Most respectfully, I think you are overthinking it just a little. The whole idea of Velociters is that the powder improvements let it operate at the same pressure as mini mags. I shots lot of Velociters in an older Glenfield 75. Original spring 3-4 buffer!

The beauty of the rifle is that it will shoot Standard Velocity ammo as well as high speed stuff.

Let me add my welcome!
Old 05-07-2020, 08:31 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quick Tip

a great indicator of Marlin buffer health is to look at the lower left of the receiver opening. The charging handle will hit there first as the buffer dies. While buffers are cheap, usually they hose you on shipping so buy a bunch of stuff to keep the costs low.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:24 AM
surby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for al the good info and tips. as a fyi, per mcarbo, their spring rates are subsonic 11lbs, standard 14lbs & hyper 18.5lbs. i'm still waiting on j&p's info for their spring.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surby View Post
thanks for al the good info and tips. as a fyi, per mcarbo, their spring rates are subsonic 11lbs, standard 14lbs & hyper 18.5lbs. i'm still waiting on j&p's info for their spring.
14 lbs would be a safe bet.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:12 AM
surby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
supposedly, 14# is the stock spring rate also. thanks for all the good input / info. I think I see how it goes with some hyper velocitors and if see any issue, i'll get and install the mcarbo hyper spring. thanks again.