Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Bill T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Browning Buckmark Challenge Rosewood

Yesterday I took a trip to the local Sportsman's Warehouse to look around, and see if they had anything I couldn't live without. They always seem to have a really nice selection of guns, and many of them are a cut above a lot of the, run of the mill stuff Cabela's, and other have. Especially in regards to rimfire rifles and pistols. I spotted this Browning Challenge Rosewood Model in the case, and asked to take a look at it. This model Buckmark is still produced by Browning, but you don't see a lot of them. This model has a round, turned barrel, and is made to look like the older discontinued Browning Challenger Model. Except it has beautiful Oak Leaf pattern Rosewood laminated grips, and a really nice set of target grade adjustable rear sights, along with a fiber optic front. After I picked it up, it was hard to put it down, the thing felt so good in my hand. And it pointed like a laser. Very similar to my Colt Woodsman in that regard.

You know the rest of the story. It somehow managed to follow me home. When my wife saw it, she absolutely loved it. This is one of those guns that attract you, even though you don't really "need" it. This brings the total to 4 Buckmark's in my collection. I think the Browning Buckmark is one of the few mid priced .22 semi auto's out there, that still represents a link to the kind of craftsmanship you saw back in the 70's in .22 auto's. Before all the plastic came along. And I have never had ANY of my Buckmarks that didn't feed ammo well. And all of them are usually very accurate doing it. After they wrote me up, I saw a Browning BL-22 Grade II with the silver finished receiver, high grade wood, and the octagon barrel. I have to say it was one of the most beautiful .22 rifles I ever handled.... And it's got me thinking. But for now I'm going to let myself enjoy this beautiful new Buckmark. And the $50.00 rebate Browning is currently offering, made it all that much sweeter!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 AM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a nice looking handgun.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:56 AM
too_pointer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome, congrats. I came very close to buying one of thosemyself. I think they are absolutely beautiful. I love my UDX Plus though too.
too_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 12:35 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
Nice, very Colt Woodsman-like.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:24 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From the sticky Buckmark Grips thread, the Challenge grips will fit the rBM rifle AND the URX with the rubberized wrap-around grips.
While I like the wrap-around grips, those Rosewood grips look even better.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:10 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
That is a really nice looker. I am thinking of getting this one for my wife. Do you know if a reflex sight can be mounted on this model?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockranger View Post
That is a really nice looker. I am thinking of getting this one for my wife. Do you know if a reflex sight can be mounted on this model?
You could check with a place like Midwest Gun Works to see if they sell a mounting bridge that could adapt a reflex sight. I'm not sure. Those are probably better suited to one of the many target models.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 PM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
John Allchin's mount will fit.

https://www.allchingunparts.com/prod...mark-sts-mount

Last edited by 27 Beck; 08-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:46 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
A friend of mine has one with a reflex-style red dot mounted on it, so it's definitely possible. I don't know for sure, but I think he just replaced the top rail with a weaver or picatinny rail (such as the ones from Browning or Tac Sol) and mounted it that way.

Two things I'll say about this pistol... the grip is small, and it's very light weight. Those could be negatives or positives, depending on the user. I think it's a great pistol for kids to learn to shoot with (probably the best current Buckmark for that purpose).

Dave
Old 01-25-2018, 05:32 AM
rude374

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been looking at this one too. Not only do I like the classic look, but it feels much better balanced than the bull barrelled BM or Ruger Marks most of which feel front heavy to me. It would be easier to handle for my kids as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 06:23 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It really is a striking looking handgun. And with the lighter barrel it points beautifully. And like most of the Buckmark's, it runs like a Rolex on most any ammo you feed it.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a challenge with that barrel and mine had checkered walnut grips that were beautiful. I put a wiegand rail on top of it and put a vortex venom red dot site on there, also put a wraparound rubber grip on there which feels great. this gun is not really light after the rail and sight add on but feels just right. I can shoot this gun better than I ever imagined. I trimmed the wiegand rail down in length front and back and rounded the corners with a belt sander and had to deepen and widen the slot for the sight to get it to fit but it was worth the trouble, I am so glad I took a chance on a red dot sight, it really made my shooting experience so much better. that 5.5 inch barrel is very accurate.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:03 PM
seaotter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bill T, I have a 1999 (first year of production) Buckmark Challenge, new in the box with 5.5 inch barrel. I bought it to show the progression from the Challenger III to the Buck Marks, and because the similar name to the Challengers. It has uncheckered walnut grips with the Buck Mark medallion. The slide is recessed as on the C-III, with "wings" to aid pulling the slide. Browning (ATI) also made a Buckmark Micro Challenge with a four inch barrel, but only in 1999 and 2000.

Yours is sure a lot prettier than the one that I have.
SO
Old 01-31-2018, 02:45 PM
Winnut
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just wondering ? Is the gun completely polished, or do you have a bit of oil on the barrel and slide to brighten it up ??
Thanks