Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:05 PM
IronRing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cooey Model 82 proper configuration - help req'd

Hi,

I need some help identifing the correct configurations for my 3 Cooey model 82's

Here is an over view shot (ignore the cat, he just likes guns), from the bottom to top I have what appears to be a civilian version (no cartouche markings) and the top two which are both marcked with a C broad arrow.

In the next shot you can see that the "Civilian" has the knurled knob just fwd of the trigger guard but it's missing from the other two. Would this have been standard on this version only or is it missing on the two that have gov't markings?

The next shot shows the from sight wings. Again the "Civilian" has the taper facing the rear and the other two have the taper facing the front. What is the proper orientation of the taper? Facing the front or rear of the rifle?

The third question pertains to the rear peep sight. As you can see the "Civilian" has one as does one of the cartouche marked ones. The following is from the "Civilian", and as you can see the nut is very square:

The following is from the middle cartouch marked ones, and as you can see the nut has a pronounced taper, and heavy graduations:

Was it common to have this difference or is one a later reproduction? Was there a difference between the "civilian" peep and those that may have been in the gov't system?

Thanks for any info you might have.

Last edited by IronRing; 01-15-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
they look fine - there was a military peep sight version and the ramp sight version , im liking the civilian full wood version , there was also a civilian version without the forwood , actually the military was adapted from that sporter version in WWII as a trainer ,
Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM
IronRing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks A Square, the Civilian is in pretty good shape, but the darker of the two military is in even better shape. I'm pondering whether i should be turning the front band around and moving the rear peep from one military to the other, and i find the knurled nut out of place as well. Hard to believe ther was this much variation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2017, 05:43 PM
gunsaholic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 4 Cooey trainers, all military marked ones. All have the front sight band facing the way it is on your civilian model. It also shows it that way in the Cooey book. All of mine have the screw without the knurled knob. However, knurled knobs were used on later Cooey rifles. I don't know what year it came into effect but it could be proper for your civilian gun. All of mine have the nut with beveled sides for the peep sight. It almost looks like maybe your one nut is a replacement, but , not having a civilian version, I am not certain.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:33 AM
KMPX2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you a member of Cooey Military 82 collectors? It’s a Facebook group