Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:52 AM
JohnnyK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS?

Please excuse me, as I know virtually nothing about military trainers but for the past few months I've been lusting over one at my local sporting goods store. It's been there for a year now, most likely because of its $999.00 price tag. (They tell me it's due for a price reduction)
Anyway, although they have it marked on the tag as a "Mauser" its got the "JGA" moniker stamped on the top of the receiver. On the left rear of the barrel is "CAL. 22 LONG RIFLE" and several proof marks. On the right rear of the barrel is "J.G.A.-SPORTMODELL". This gun is in awesome shape with zero nicks/dings to the stock, the metal is perfect except for some wear just in back of the muzzle as if a bayonet were once attached. It has a bent bolt and comes with what looks to be an original sling attached just behind the stock wrist.
Looks just like a 98k with a blondish colored stock, single-shot obviously. Can you guys identify this gun for me and let me know what I should offer for it?
Thanks much!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:58 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photos usually help WAY much, if you can post any.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:04 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pictures would be very helpful, but in general the Mauser Sportmodell trainers have been going up in price a bit the last couple years. His marked price seems a bit high for this model, but if it were to come down into the $700 range it might be worth picking up if you lust after it. Check the bore well and make sure all the parts are there- safety, extractor and ejector, the trigger is in good shape, good firing pin, etc.... (don't fire on an empty chamber).... because you won't be able to purchase parts for it later. These are great shooters and make great squirrel rifles with the ladder sights and also very good target rifles- but probably not what I would call competitive...

It is getting harder to find these in pristine condition. I've seen them bought by gun shops in lots and they come in one big box with a bunch of them thrown in and shipped. You can imagine what kind of condition they are in once they arrive. They have become valuable enough now that they take a bit more care shipping them but still hard to find an unmolested one...

It's important to satisfy your lust once in a while and price is sometimes secondary...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2019, 02:02 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
Please excuse me, as I know virtually nothing about military trainers but for the past few months I've been lusting over one at my local sporting goods store. It's been there for a year now, most likely because of its $999.00 price tag. (They tell me it's due for a price reduction)
Hi Johnny!

1. Yes, photos would be a big help.

2. The "JGA" indicates that the gun was made by J.G. Anschütz, one of several German makers of "DSM" rifles in the pre-WWII era.

To grossly oversimplify, the "DSM" or "Deutsches Sportmodell" rifles were single-shot 22s made roughly to replicate the Mauser K98. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of variations on that theme, and here at RFC you'll find dozens of threads discussing those variations and their history. However, every DSM I have ever seen has had two things in common: high quality and high accuracy.

3. Price? A year and a half ago, I sold an Anschütz DSM on Gunbroker for about $750. It was in very good condition, but not as good as you've described. Values of all DSMs, especially those in excellent condition, have gone up, and so, I don't think $999 is out of line.

But as always, the right price is always the price you are both willing and able to pay =)

Keep us posted!
Dave
Old 12-31-2019, 05:04 PM
williwm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Seems I remember links to live auctions are not allowed so you might do a search for “jga sportmodell Simpson’s Ltd. They have one listed that you can compare closely. This is not a DSM. As you describe the markings it would be JGAs own design attempt for a trainer.

While a dozen or so companies produced Deutsche Sportmodells , all by that name were built to a standard with all parts being interchangeable between makers.(minor fitting of course could be needed. )
Old 01-01-2020, 08:58 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by williwm View Post
Seems I remember links to live auctions are not allowed so you might do a search for “jga sportmodell Simpson’s Ltd. They have one listed that you can compare closely. This is not a DSM. As you describe the markings it would be JGAs own design attempt for a trainer.

While a dozen or so companies produced Deutsche Sportmodells , all by that name were built to a standard with all parts being interchangeable between makers.(minor fitting of course could be needed. )
It doesn't sound like a DSM34
Old 01-04-2020, 04:36 PM
JohnnyK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did find one identical to the one I'm looking at on the Simpsons site. If you care to look, it's item #D12884. The serial number is less than 100 from each other. The only differences are that the one I'm looking at has a "blonder" stock and it's in better condition, both metal and wood. The last time I spoke to the guy in charge he said If it was still there after the holidays they would be more negotiable regarding the price. (The Simpsons gun is listed at $995)
Sorry about the no photos, but I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to computers.

Thanks for the help!