Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Aladinbama
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My BRNO Model 1 from Widener's

I took the recent plung and dove into one of Widener's Model 1's. It came today and other than missing the sling swivels (which I was expecting) - I'm happy. The stock is dirty and dinged, but I didn't expect much. It did have a plastic butt plate (not sure what it's suppose to have). It seems like it will clean up nicely and be a pretty good shooter.
Anyone know where I can get some mags for it? And which ones interchange with it? Pictures to come (cause I know nothing happens here without pictures)! Tom
Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
kennyb223

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
From what I understand the CZ 452 Trainer mags work with it. As for the parts you are after you might try Brnoman at [email protected], he enjoys a good reputation on here. Let me know how the rifle shoots as Iam in the market for one.
Kenny
Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
BruceR
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first Model 1 came from Widener's as part of their first offering. It was a delight and only needed a little bit of stock work. The second Model 1 that was part of the $209 group arrived yesterday. The steel is in pretty good condition. The stock is attractive but heavily dinged forward of the trigger guard. It's nothing that a little TLC can't fix.

However, ----- it has a barrel bulge that you can feel with a patch on a jag. A local gunsmith/barrel maker looked at it yesterday and said it looks like two rounds were fired into a barrel blockage. There are two rings present. I spent some time on the range today and the groups are nothing to brag about. Plus when using Federal ammo the case frequently stays in both extractor claws and doesn't eject. (one time out of six) No problem with any other brand of ammo and the bolt was cleaned before shooting.

This one might be headed back to Widener's

Mags -- I get mine from MidwayUSA. CZ 452 mags are the ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Aladinbama

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I would send that one back as well!

I'll run a patch down the barrel tonight. I hate bulges in barrels.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 PM
25ring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm new to this forum,although I've been a lurker for some time.I too just recieved one of the Wideners Brno model #1's.The chamber throat is eroded and the chamber itself has issues[bulged brass].Fireing one test round with a CB Long resulted in a lodged bullet 6" ahead of the chamber.That's how rough it is! I've already contacted Wideners about a return.Sorry to see others having this problem.The rough stock was expected,not the barrel!--Mike.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
old-is-good

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm kinda of glad I didn't order one from this batch. I came very very close to it though. I even had it in the cart and was ready to check out but backed out because I wanted a 452 American instead.

I have 2 Brno 1's and feel like I got off lucky both times. I didn't think my luck would hold out for a third time.

I'm sure Wideners will stand behind the rifles with bulged barrels. They seemed like really nice people the few times that I've talked to them.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ring View Post
I'm new to this forum,although I've been a lurker for some time.I too just recieved one of the Wideners Brno model #1's.The chamber throat is eroded and the chamber itself has issues[bulged brass].Fireing one test round with a CB Long resulted in a lodged bullet 6" ahead of the chamber.That's how rough it is! I've already contacted Wideners about a return.Sorry to see others having this problem.The rough stock was expected,not the barrel!--Mike.
Welcome to the ward, sorry your Brno experience is getting off to such a rough start.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 PM
mikesch
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Welcome to the asylum, Mike!

Here you will experience the heights of bliss and depths of despair of CZ/Brno ownership.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
25ring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys! I've been on a military trainer kick for awhile.Started with a Winder musket,then a wz48,then a wz78[wideners] great gun!,then lucked into a M65 Reising complete with original sling.I guess my luck was due to run out sooner or later.I'm a sucker for old rimfires,what can I say!--Mike.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Sorry to hear of the bad experiences. I must have gotten off extremely lucky. Mine had very light surface rust, nothing major. Wood needs refinishing, but no biggie. Best part is, the thing is flat out accurate. Much more so than I expected.

Wideners should resolve the issues you guys are having. I asked when I ordered mine, and they said they would stand behind the rifles and resolve any problems.

Good luck and hope everything works out.

Kenny
Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Aladinbama

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
Sorry to hear of the bad experiences. I must have gotten off extremely lucky.
I guess I feel the same way. I ran a patch - no apparent buldge: Checked the throat and crown - no issues there. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it appears to be in pretty good shape - much like Kenny's, the wood needs refinishing, but no biggee for me!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 PM
JBorhauer
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ah the horror stories, I really hope I am lucky with then with a good rifle as I wait for Monday to arrive as its the estimated arrival date. Its good to hear that Wideners will accept it back if anything is mechanically wrong.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
25ring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just thought I'd leave an update on the BRNO #1 from Wideners with a bad barrel.Called Wideners and they've issed a call tag to pick it up and will refund my CC.Not that I thought they would do any different,but I've done a lot of business with them over the years and they continue to be a class act and great people to do business with.----Mike.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Just thought I'd leave an update on the BRNO #1 from Wideners with a bad barrel.Called Wideners and they've issed a call tag to pick it up and will refund my CC.Not that I thought they would do any different,but I've done a lot of business with them over the years and they continue to be a class act and great people to do business with.----Mike.
Good to know.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM
taildragger
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Satisfied Customer

Received my order from January 29 just yesterday.

The rifle was better than I expected and almost equal to everything a exceedingly particular person could hope for. Sling swivals, buttplate, unblemished metal finish - below the wood line, and the stock is salvageable. No cracks!