Which 52 C or D - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:43 PM
Dave S
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Which 52 C or D

I am getting ready to buy a Winchester 52 C or D as a backup match rifle for my Rem. 40X.. The ones I am looking at are both very nice rifles.. Is there any difference in the accuracy between the two rifles..??? I realize that both have the Micro-motion trigger, but didn't know which one to chose...

Thanks for you help..

Dave
Old 02-26-2020, 06:42 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
I am getting ready to buy a Winchester 52 C or D as a backup match rifle for my Rem. 40X.. The ones I am looking at are both very nice rifles.. Is there any difference in the accuracy between the two rifles..??? I realize that both have the Micro-motion trigger, but didn't know which one to chose...

Thanks for you help..

Dave
That's funny, I use a 40X as a backup to my 52D. Once you get use to the heavier trigger of the Winchester, you may feel the same way. I have a equal number of 52's to 40X's. I love shooting both, but if I narrowed it down to just using one rifle, it would be a 52D, better balanced than the 40X. JMO

The D should be the better shooter, as it is a single shot, stiffer action, no barrel band and if it is a D somewhere over the 115000 SN, should have a slightly better trigger. I have had a couple of C's, they shot great, most of the time. I sold one and gave my son the other one. I just prefer the D.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
what kind of match? I mean does a single shot work, I guess so if your main squeeze is a 40X. The D was designed to be an improvement over the C ,but plenty of C's might outshoot plenty of D's.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 06:57 PM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a couple D's and one E that I shoot some fun BR stuff with. Some of the guys I shoot with have both C's and D's but always shoot the D's. I've never asked why. I would like to have a nice C just to have a repeater.

52DH&R12, the trigger on your 40X rifles are better than the D's? I just bought a 40XS with a heavy barrel and the trigger is a pig compared to my 52's. In all fairness though I haven't had a chance to take it apart and give it a good cleaning, so hopefully it will improve. If it shoots well I'll add a Jewell trigger. If not I'll keep the Unertl 24X that came on it and send the rifle down the road.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
I have a couple D's and one E that I shoot some fun BR stuff with. Some of the guys I shoot with have both C's and D's but always shoot the D's. I've never asked why. I would like to have a nice C just to have a repeater.

52DH&R12, the trigger on your 40X rifles are better than the D's? I just bought a 40XS with a heavy barrel and the trigger is a pig compared to my 52's. In all fairness though I haven't had a chance to take it apart and give it a good cleaning, so hopefully it will improve. If it shoots well I'll add a Jewell trigger. If not I'll keep the Unertl 24X that came on it and send the rifle down the road.
Well, seeming how aftermarket triggers are available for 40X's, yes they are way lighter than the 52s. My favorite is the Remington 2 oz. that's in my wife's 40X. Mine are Rifle Basix , Shilen and Jewel all set to about 5 oz. All of my 52D's and E are about 10-12 oz. I have a couple extra 52D triggers and am tempted to lighten one up, but it really does not matter that much.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:38 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My 52C shoots right with my buddies 40X, haven't shot together enough to say one is better. I have never shot a 52D but if it's better it has to be darn good. My 52C actually loads very well with its single shot adapter and that was my concern for shooting a timed match which I started doing last year with my Martini. I would love a trigger lighter than the C' s 11oz so a 40X would be great for that flexibility but I'm sure others can work the 52 trigger lower than Me.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:39 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52DH&R12 View Post
That's funny, I use a 40X as a backup to my 52D. Once you get use to the heavier trigger of the Winchester, you may feel the same way. I have a equal number of 52's to 40X's. I love shooting both, but if I narrowed it down to just using one rifle, it would be a 52D, better balanced than the 40X. JMO

The D should be the better shooter, as it is a single shot, stiffer action, no barrel band and if it is a D somewhere over the 115000 SN, should have a slightly better trigger. I have had a couple of C's, they shot great, most of the time. I sold one and gave my son the other one. I just prefer the D.

My 40XB was a backup to my 52B which was a backup to my 52D which was/is a backup to my 52E. The E is easily the most accurate factory gun I have ever owned (averaged 249 on the IR 50/50 target last year in our club matches), and I've owned a bunch of them including Suhls and Anschutz. But the D is close on the heels of the E. The B is probably just as accurate, but suffers with that heavier trigger. The triggers on a D or E will not adjust down as low as an aftermarket trigger on the 40X, but both my D and E have factory triggers in the six ounce range. All that said, I would not hesitate to try a really nice 40X.....they have a proven track record.

Knowing what I know now, I would (a personal opinion of course) look for a good clean lightly used D or E. I too do not care for the barrel band on the C nor do I have any use for a repeater in the shooting I do. BUT, I have seen some C's that shot very well.....one being a Bull Barrel C that I foolishly let get away from me.

Just another set of opinions.....

James

Last edited by pump .22s; 02-27-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:25 PM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I prefer the C

Because itís a repeater.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:41 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My .02 cents

Winner - 52C - Production quality and finish is much higher. I have one 52C in an aftermarket stock with a non-Winchester barrel and I really like it

DCM/CMP 52D - Lower quality fit and finish - I purchased one from the CMP and eventually sold it

Commercial 52D - I currently own one which resides in an aftermarket stock with a non-Winchester barrel. Better than a the DCM/CMP, however the fit on the bolt is still not as nice as a 52C.

In terms of accuracy from a factory rifle, that is completely dependent on the barrel which was installed, the bedding, ammunition used and the maintenance of the rifle & barrel.

If you decide to purchase the D model I recommend getting an E loading ramp. The factory D loading ramp could best be described as a loading trough.

I don't really believe the elimination of the magazine well on the 52D really brought about a significant increase in the accuracy potential of the 52D action. Winchester may have advertised that feature, but I believe it was because they could produce the action with less machining and fewer pieces and parts. Actually one of my custom prone 52B rifles is as accurate as my Anschutz or Grunig actions.

Bill
Old 02-29-2020, 12:14 PM
wwace

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have 2 Cs, a D, several Es, 37s, 40Xs plus others, my bull barrel C and Std E will be the two I never sell.

Accuracy of any of these rifles is highly dependent upon its use and care during its lifetime before you found it. Any of them is capable of outstanding performance including the pre A, A and B models. Ammunition and cleaning properly will tell the capabilities of each example. The trigger if adjusted correctly makes no difference if it is 3lbs or 3 oz to a capable marksman. I would rather have a sweet 2lb trigger than an unpredictable touchy 3 oz trigger.

I haven't found a 37 or 40X yet that is a truly accurate rifle but I have Hope's for 2 examples I picked up last summer and have never shot. I have 2 52s that are fantastic accuracy types. You will know when you get one that you can place each shot and a group is one quarter inch hole.

I know that there are custom bench rifles out there easily capable of what I described but my thing is finding old stock Winchesters Remington or others that can come close.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:03 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwace View Post
I have 2 Cs, a D, several Es, 37s, 40Xs plus others, my bull barrel C and Std E will be the two I never sell.

Accuracy of any of these rifles is highly dependent upon its use and care during its lifetime before you found it. Any of them is capable of outstanding performance including the pre A, A and B models. Ammunition and cleaning properly will tell the capabilities of each example. The trigger if adjusted correctly makes no difference if it is 3lbs or 3 oz to a capable marksman. I would rather have a sweet 2lb trigger than an unpredictable touchy 3 oz trigger.

I haven't found a 37 or 40X yet that is a truly accurate rifle but I have Hope's for 2 examples I picked up last summer and have never shot. I have 2 52s that are fantastic accuracy types. You will know when you get one that you can place each shot and a group is one quarter inch hole.

I know that there are custom bench rifles out there easily capable of what I described but my thing is finding old stock Winchesters Remington or others that can come close.
A man after my own heart.....

For some reason, I just never have been able to get excited over custom guns. I love wringing the last bit of accuracy out of the old heavy factory guns.

Each to his own of course.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:44 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
A man after my own heart.....

For some reason, I just never have been able to get excited over custom guns. I love wringing the last bit of accuracy out of the old heavy factory guns.

Each to his own of course.
Yep, I just bought a 40X to go along with may 52's.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:52 PM
wwace

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Trying to post a photo , 5 times

Last edited by wwace; 02-29-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:55 PM
wwace

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Again

Last edited by wwace; 02-29-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:56 PM
wwace

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwace View Post