Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Sight Question

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Dcarey51 
#1 ·
2 questions actually. Is the rear sight dovetail the same between target and standard taper barrels? I'd like to replace my fixed with an adjustable. Secondly, is there a good gold bead or fiber optic replacement for the pinned front sight?

#3 ·
The rear sight dovetail's use to be different. The adjustable dovetail was wider. I think they still are. Brownells offers colored plastic sheets that are used for sight inserts. I've made a sight for the front by sanding it to the correct thickness, filing to shape and pinning it in place. It was in hot pink color but it sure stood out.

#5 ·
On the rear sight the base material is aluminum. It's fairly easy to file the proper width dovetail if you take your time and pay attention to keeping things squared up. If you happen to mess up your only out what ever cost you have in the sight. Just a thought. Your front sight idea sounds good.

#6 ·
The dovetails are the same between the fixed sight and adjustable sight versions. The problem is that the Ruger adjustable sight sits higher than the the Ruger fixed sight, so the gun typically shoots too high when you add a Ruger adjustable sight to a fixed sight Standard MKII. To solve this, you have to either go to a taller front sight or use the LPA TPU adjustable sight made, specifically, to replace the fixed sight on a Standard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.