CMMG SBR - muzzle device? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2021, 07:24 AM
woodsparrow

Join Date: 
Mar 2020
Posts: 
31
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CMMG SBR - muzzle device?



Log in to see fewer ads
I've got a nice AR22 SBR build going using a 9.2" CMMG barrel.

I'm trying to decide on a handguard - anyone have thoughts on muzzle devices in general?

I always assumed they don't work, but I could spend 20-30 for a 'look' and not care much, it's mostly a gun that's just supposed to be fun to shoot, not a competition or precision item.

As such, any thoughts? Buying a 10-12" handguard isn't substantially different from a 9" one, and several people have comps/flash cans/linear comps that are only a couple inches long.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2021, 07:27 AM
lonestardiver

Join Date: 
Jan 2011
Posts: 
480
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go for a small can….it will increase the fun factor as well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2021, 08:11 AM
woodsparrow

Join Date: 
Mar 2020
Posts: 
31
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
Go for a small can….it will increase the fun factor as well.
Dangit, I meant to add that - I literally only get to shoot at indoor ranges, so cans are a sunk cost without benefit for me. One side will be BillyJoe 'sighting in' his Turkish 5" pump shotgun by banging it away. The other side will be 500 people renting 3 guns taking constant insta pictures, and the other side of them will be someone firing the loudest rifle known to man with the loudest brake known to man, with a binary trigger.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-13-2021, 09:11 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
ohio
Posts: 
1,910
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsparrow View Post
I've got a nice AR22 SBR build going using a 9.2" CMMG barrel.
First, congrats on sourcing the barrel. I looked for one for a while before giving up and going with another manufacturer.

I have a 10.5 inch barrel and tried a nine inch handguard. With an A1 flashhider, I think it is too short. Too short for what? Too short for my rifle trained left hand to keep behind the muzzle.

I am comfortable with a 12 to 12.5 handguard. It's safe for muscle memory and allows a four inch device that will not protrude beyond the handguard itself.

When I was looking for the CMMG 9.2 inch barrel, I envisioned using one of those 5.5 inch fake XM-177 things.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2021, 09:18 AM
lasnyder
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Location: 
New Port Richey, Fl
Posts: 
100
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot a CMMG SBR'd .22 for Steel Challenge... I originally used a standard bird cage to give a little more distance from my forward hand placement (I index on a small aluminum stud attached on the bottom)... at about 2000 rounds, the bird cage started to lead pretty badly... I had a 3 prong laying around from an old project and stuck it on... at about 1500 rounds it is not showing any lead deposit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (3).jpg (424.3 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2021, 11:13 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
ohio
Posts: 
1,910
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasnyder View Post
I shoot a CMMG SBR'd .22 for Steel Challenge... I originally used a standard bird cage to give a little more distance from my forward hand placement (I index on a small aluminum stud attached on the bottom)... at about 2000 rounds, the bird cage started to lead pretty badly... I had a 3 prong laying around from an old project and stuck it on... at about 1500 rounds it is not showing any lead deposit...
Emphasis added.

One of the issues I see with SBR barrels and longer handguards is access to the crown. I always wipe mine clean on rifles (easy because I use thread protectors), and I wouldn't like to have impaired access to the crown on a 22lr sbr either.

The ability to easily remove the handguard is present in the screw on tube handguards.

That won't stop the muzzle device from leading, but I think it's a related issue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
lasnyder
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Location: 
New Port Richey, Fl
Posts: 
100
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
zukiphile... I'll pull the 3 prong off at the end of this box of 800 Federals, and check the forward part of the threads... the inside edge of the prongs does not show any leading like the sides of the end closed bird cage did
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2021, 12:29 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
ohio
Posts: 
1,910
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I get junk and grit on the face of the muzzle on pistols and rifles with muzzle device, so I'm holding out zero hope that an SBR barrel even with a very open device will remain clean.

I did have a VQ pistol brake, a pretty closed device, that caked up very badly over many thousands of rounds. I had to chisel out the carbon/lead/wax mix. I don't recall the muzzle being hard to clean, but it was pretty dirty.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2021, 02:06 PM
woodsparrow

Join Date: 
Mar 2020
Posts: 
31
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
First, congrats on sourcing the barrel. I looked for one for a while before giving up and going with another manufacturer.

I have a 10.5 inch barrel and tried a nine inch handguard. With an A1 flashhider, I think it is too short. Too short for what? Too short for my rifle trained left hand to keep behind the muzzle.

I am comfortable with a 12 to 12.5 handguard. It's safe for muscle memory and allows a four inch device that will not protrude beyond the handguard itself.

When I was looking for the CMMG 9.2 inch barrel, I envisioned using one of those 5.5 inch fake XM-177 things.
Midway is restocking on 22-September, and supposedly will be able to fill my backorder - worst case scenario they don't and I source something else. I had a 'birthday coupon' that dropped the price almost $50 so I figured might as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2021, 02:07 PM
woodsparrow

Join Date: 
Mar 2020
Posts: 
31
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Emphasis added.

One of the issues I see with SBR barrels and longer handguards is access to the crown. I always wipe mine clean on rifles (easy because I use thread protectors), and I wouldn't like to have impaired access to the crown on a 22lr sbr either.

The ability to easily remove the handguard is present in the screw on tube handguards.

That won't stop the muzzle device from leading, but I think it's a related issue.
I don't think I've ever taken a special effort to clean the crown on a 22 rifle, what's your thought there?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-13-2021, 02:50 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
ohio
Posts: 
1,910
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsparrow View Post
I don't think I've ever taken a special effort to clean the crown on a 22 rifle, what's your thought there?
That eventually all the accumulated crud will begin to act like a damaged crown.

It's usually simple. The oil/solvent we use to clean the bore gets all over the muzzle anyway. A cotton patch or piece of paper towel rubbed on the muzzle makes a dirty circle on the patch, and the muzzle looks shiny and clean.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:00 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2006
Location: 
southeastern NM
Posts: 
3,629
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a home made bloop tube on my 15-22. It is 1 1/4" diameter and about 3 1/2" long and is bored out to 1". It is easy to remove as I use a small diameter "o" ring between it and the barrel. It doesn't get dirty quickly and really helps in the noise department. It is loud with just a thread protector or the stock flash hider even if it is just a 22.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:35 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
ohio
Posts: 
1,910
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I use a home made bloop tube on my 15-22. It is 1 1/4" diameter and about 3 1/2" long and is bored out to 1". It is easy to remove as I use a small diameter "o" ring between it and the barrel. It doesn't get dirty quickly and really helps in the noise department. It is loud with just a thread protector or the stock flash hider even if it is just a 22.
I've tried that, but haven't noticed much of an acoustic benefit. The dominant noise from my short barrel and tube handguard is a resonant thunk, sort of like a mortar. It's louder than I thought it would be based on my prior experience with a 10" silhouette pistol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x