Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Bigbwb

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
New scope for 50-200 yard shots with my 455 .22LR

Hey guys,
Looking to spend some more cash on my 455 Synthetic SS .22

Just bought the Atlas Bipod and now looking at new scopes. My current scope is the weaver Classic V 4-16x 42mm AO. I have no complaints with the weaver, in fact its quite nice! My only thought is that I could use a higher powered scope for longer shots and improving my groupings at 50 yards (rather than spotting scope).

I use the Burris 1" medium scope rings with the Burris inserts for additional adjustments.

What other scopes are out there that have the flexibility of the weaver but offer more magnification (and dont cost $2k)? I know weaver has a 6-24 42mm but looking at the specs, it doesn't offer as much elevation adjustments, but maybe I am mistaken.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
Happy New Years!
Brandon
Old 12-28-2018, 01:18 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I spend most of my rimfire time at the 200 yard range.
Mueller 8-32x44 target reticle scope lets me see even the 17hmr holes at 200 yards.
Add a 25 moa rail or use adjustable rings for the longer distances.
Focus down to 15 yards if desired.

50 at 200 yards
Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm using the Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40 EFR. Fine duplex reticle in Warne high rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 01:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Have this on a CZ527 Euro Varmint in .223 and love it.
Signalman1 is a big fan of this reticle also.
The reticle is the key to success at longer range.

Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scope - 5-20x50mm Varminter Reticle Matte Black
# WE800676
Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Sightron STAC 4-20x 30mm MOA2 reticle on a Sako Varmint , Nikon Black 1000's are good and well under that (one on my 455 Lilja barreled Varmint).

Old 12-28-2018, 03:21 PM
DXT_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sightron SIII 10-50x60 is an awesome scope you can find them for about $700-$800 used and they can focus down to 13 yards.

I had a Leupold VXIII 6-20 and it was nice but the Sightron helps to spot them tiny little holes even at 200. Yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 PM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also a big fan of the Mueller 8-32x44 target, have three of them on .22's that are for target shooting only and they are great. But that reticle isn't great if you want to use the rifle for another purpose, such as shooting critters. I've recently acquired several of the new Vortex Diamondback Tactical scopes and they are quite good, not as good as the PST Gen 2's, but they're also less than half the price. The EBR-2C reticle has an open center and the scope is a first focal plane. Have a look at the 6-24x50 MOA.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Bigbwb

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wow guys, great feedback here!

I reasearched the scopes listed above and so far Iíve narrowed it down to the following:

Weaver GR Slam 5-20X50 Matte 800670

Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50

Vortex 6-24x50 Diamondback Tactical FFP

The Mueller Optics 8-32x44mm Side Focus Target Dot looks nice but super inexpensive....should this not deter me?

Some questions though. Is a side parallax adjustment real important? How big of an improvement will the 5-20x weaver be over my existing 4-16x in terms of seeing my shots at 50-100 yards?
Out of the ones listed which is the best choice for simply target shooting (no hunting)?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2018, 06:06 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Strictly target use?

Weaver T-36

Side focus comes in handy for open field varminting.
I can focus, read the scale, adjust hold over to fit distance.
Or use the Mueller 8-32x44 mil- dot scope on my Stag 6.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:49 PM
arnie19

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Is there any scope makers that have a fine cross hair and an 1/8 minute dot reticle ? Cant seem to find any in the 20 plus power .Doesn't have to be a real expensive scope . In fact im using a couple 30 year old Tasco scopes with target dots and 1/8th click turrets made in Japan and they work perfect .
Old 12-28-2018, 07:23 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXT_Shooter View Post
Sightron SIII 10-50x60 is an awesome scope you can find them for about $700-$800 used and they can focus down to 13 yards.

I had a Leupold VXIII 6-20 and it was nice but the Sightron helps to spot them tiny little holes even at 200. Yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love my Sightron 10x50x60 with the MOA-H retical, I have it mounted on my 1710DHB.
found it for 850 shipped
Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbwb View Post
Wow guys, great feedback here!

I reasearched the scopes listed above and so far I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

Weaver GR Slam 5-20X50 Matte 800670

Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50

Vortex 6-24x50 Diamondback Tactical FFP

The Mueller Optics 8-32x44mm Side Focus Target Dot looks nice but super inexpensive....should this not deter me?

Some questions though. Is a side parallax adjustment real important? How big of an improvement will the 5-20x weaver be over my existing 4-16x in terms of seeing my shots at 50-100 yards?
Out of the ones listed which is the best choice for simply target shooting (no hunting)?

Thanks
Bigwb...sir the parallax adjust is very important to any scope with magnification above 9x to get that best view of your target...it does not matter if the scope has a side focus or an adjustable objective. I won't buy a scope without one.

Now to your question about the two Weaver scopes the Classic V-16/V-24 have two different adjustments settings for their Objective: the V-16 lowest setting is 30 FEET but both scopes objective do turn lower than that mark the V-24 has a 50 FEET mark. They came with 6 different reticles to choose from the Grand Slam (new style) only had three. I do have the old style Grand Slam also.

The Grand Slam (new style) both the 4-16x and 5-20x both have a side focus and the lowest setting on those are 25 Yards. The glass in the Grand Slams are much better than the Classic V-16/24 scopes...and trust me you can tell. But I am not going to sell any of my V-16s or V-24s. I do have a few of each model:

Any scope with higher magnification you will be able to zoom in on your target better than a lower magnification scope.

For me the most important item when choosing a scope is not the magnification which should be second but the first and most important item is the reticle. I have had reticles that were so big that you could only use them for elephant hunting .....not really....but only for big game, worthless for target or even small game like rabbits or squirrels. Now on the other end of the scale I also have had reticles that were so thin they would get lost in different back grounds...and worthless for hunting or certain color targets.

So when your looking for a scope first pick out a reticle that works for you...and not one you have to make work...if you know what I mean. Some people like really busy reticles and other like them as plain as they can. So choose wisely.

here are some of the one I own:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=516808

Take a look and see what you might like...you might not any of mine...I am just posting this to show you there are a lot of different ones out there.

I do have my favorites...some for me work better for different things like if the wind is blowing or I am doing off hand shooting or others where if I was target shooting I can cheat by using a dot like a clock and see where my rounds are hitting and adjust my reticle to the target by moving around the dot. Everybody is different.

So good luck on your quest and remember there are no short cuts when choosing good glass.

Signalman

Last edited by Signalman; 12-28-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 PM
Bigbwb

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you signalman, great info and feedback!

It looks as if weaver has hardly any options( in stock) in my power range. There’s the V24 and GS 5-20x.

How do you think these compare to the vortex with the MOA RETICLE?
Old 12-29-2018, 05:19 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbwb View Post
Thank you signalman, great info and feedback!

It looks as if weaver has hardly any options( in stock) in my power range. Thereís the V24 and GS 5-20x.

How do you think these compare to the vortex with the MOA RETICLE?
Bigwb sir that opinion is up to what you like...for me the MOA reticle is different for both of us if you like it great but for me it's too busy for my hunting needs...it just might be what your looking for. When hunting your time is limited...when bench shooting you have all day to pull the trigger.

This is your set up and not mine...Like I said before pick a reticle that works for you not one you have to make work. If this MOA reticle is what you looking for then go for it.

For what you doing with this rifle It might be your best choice...the 22lr is a 75 yard at best hunting round in my opinion shooting it at 200 yards out is fun game to see where you and if you can hit the target. If there is any wind your going to need to make changes where you aim at the target...like 6 down and 5 over.

There are so few people that shoot this sport compared to hundreds of bench shooters that only want one small dot or fine crosshair to use for their target shooting.

The other factor is the size of the scope I don't use any 30mm scopes on any of my rimfire rifles it's just to big for them in my eyes...some people like using 34mm scopes if that is what they like that's great...but for me I don't want a scope that I can/could use a s a carry handle for a rimfire rifle. Been there done that. You hear it all the time: Cheek weld and with huge scopes you will have to modify your stock because of how high above the barrel you will need to place the scope because of objective size like 56mm

Anyway I hope you see where I am coming from I am a hunter and not a bench shooter any more...I like my challenge with moving targets. The kind of reticle, the size and the weight of a scope does matter when your walking two miles up and down a mountain side...walking 20 feet to a bench you can use a 20 pound rifle and a telescope for optics all day long. I know my examples are over board but that is the way I see it.

One last thing most bench shooters are using a cartridge that will give them the most accuracy for the task at hand...most scopes are not designed for major bullet drop and that is one reason why you have BDC or this MOA reticles from Vortex your asking about.

The Weaver V-24 was never designed for that much of a bullet drop for a 22lr. So the guys here that are using one for a 22lr where it drops like a rock after 100yards you run out of room on a lot of different brands of scopes...not just Weavers, Bushnells and even Vortex they all have their limits. Most of these varmint style scopes were designed for cartridges like the 22-250 and other flat shooting cartridges.

Good Luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 12-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Bigbwb

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
Bigwb sir that opinion is up to what you like...for me the MOA reticle is different for both of us if you like it great but for me it's too busy for my hunting needs...it just might be what your looking for. When hunting your time is limited...when bench shooting you have all day to pull the trigger.

This is your set up and not mine...Like I said before pick a reticle that works for you not one you have to make work. If this MOA reticle is what you looking for then go for it.

For what you doing with this rifle It might be your best choice...the 22lr is a 75 yard at best hunting round in my opinion shooting it at 200 yards out is fun game to see where you and if you can hit the target. If there is any wind your going to need to make changes where you aim at the target...like 6 down and 5 over.

There are so few people that shoot this sport compared to hundreds of bench shooters that only want one small dot or fine crosshair to use for their target shooting.

The other factor is the size of the scope I don't use any 30mm scopes on any of my rimfire rifles it's just to big for them in my eyes...some people like using 34mm scopes if that is what they like that's great...but for me I don't want a scope that I can/could use a s a carry handle for a rimfire rifle. Been there done that. You hear it all the time: Cheek weld and with huge scopes you will have to modify your stock because of how high above the barrel you will need to place the scope because of objective size like 56mm

Anyway I hope you see where I am coming from I am a hunter and not a bench shooter any more...I like my challenge with moving targets. The kind of reticle, the size and the weight of a scope does matter when your walking two miles up and down a mountain side...walking 20 feet to a bench you can use a 20 pound rifle and a telescope for optics all day long. I know my examples are over board but that is the way I see it.

One last thing most bench shooters are using a cartridge that will give them the most accuracy for the task at hand...most scopes are not designed for major bullet drop and that is one reason why you have BDC or this MOA reticles from Vortex your asking about.

The Weaver V-24 was never designed for that much of a bullet drop for a 22lr. So the guys here that are using one for a 22lr where it drops like a rock after 100yards you run out of room on a lot of different brands of scopes...not just Weavers, Bushnells and even Vortex they all have their limits. Most of these varmint style scopes were designed for cartridges like the 22-250 and other flat shooting cartridges.

Good Luck on your quest.

Signalman
Thank you again for this great info. As for the reticle, the finer crosshairs types seem to be well suited for target shooting but not hunting, which is my intended use for it. Iím also not concerned about itís size/weight being Iím not hunting with it, mostly target shooting. The extra 8mm in objective size over my 42 weaver should hopefully be manageable. Iíd consider the V24 weaver but Iím afraid it will run out of adjustment, the specs indicate 27Ē @ 100 yards while my v16 is 41Ē. The vortex indicates 65moa, which Iím guessing is 32.5Ē both ways??

If I did get the vortex, will the Burris extra high rings work? Sorry, my understanding of this stuff is somewhat limited (new hobby).
For reference the vortex front objective in total is 57mm, tube is 30mm.
The Burris extra highs are 1.18Ē or about 30 mm. Iím currently using the stock mounts on my 455.