Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Reached my age!

555 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  scooter22 
#1 ·
Wife asked why do you buy more guns when you don't hunt anymore? Told her that I needed to match my age then buy one a year, then when I pass away if I am 65 there should be 65 guns she will find to sell. Finally did it this year but now I feel over whelmed starting to feel like work to take some of them out just to shoot them then clean them. The public range is way to crowded couple private ranges are owned by friends that are getting old may not be around many more years, and with all the craziness going on it might be a good time to let them go to someone who would use them? Hard part is I studied each cal. And model found one and bought it because I wanted it, always wanted to build a nice display so l could show them off, but everyone around here hunt and are not really interested in neat or odd ball guns they just want one to hunt deer. So there in safes to protect them from fire and theifs? Going to try to start selling, if I can let go of the first two may be the rest will be easier? Got a buddy who is looking at my savage 250-3000 this one will be hard to let go, Colt 22 revolver will be easier always thought it belonged to a collector. I think if I just keep a few that I really like to shoot I will be just as happy as I would be if I try to keep them all.:confused:

#2 ·
I think you have the right idea, you start moving them on because your wife sure wont be able to do it near as well. We are all temporary caretakers of stuff.
A friend gave some of his to those he thought would appreciate them, said he got more pleasure in that than whatever money they would have brought.
Im steadily reducing inventory at 66....in between increasing inventory....:confused:

#3 ·
Agreed, the saddest moment for me in a gun shop was watching a 90 something year old man come in and sell off his 16 guage Model 12 and Remington 550 to the shop owner because he didn't have anyone to pass the guns to. Your wife will not know how much the guns are really worth on the market and it will be a chore. Set aside any sentimental ones for family and sell the rest you no longer enjoy. Would be far worse for them to end up at some gun destruction buy back some day. rc

#5 ·
Wife asked why do you buy more guns when you don't hunt anymore? Told her that I needed to match my age then buy one a year, then when I pass away if I am 65 there should be 65 guns she will find to sell. ........
I just bought to collect and have some fun with my money at that time. Some people collect salt & pepper shakers, or beanie babies, or whatever, i like guns, specifically 22LR.

But Ive been selling off my toys a couple at a time. That way its not the big of a rush and i can take my time taking photos and writing the adds and getting them shipped.

whats nice is that even with me selling off my collection, im still buying every once in a while.

#6 ·
I hate to admit it but I think I'm at that point. I found a lot of great deals over the last 15-20 years with all the milsurp imports and sell offs around 2008 market crash. Problem is I shoot them when I get them then put them away. I generally shoot the same 15 -20 regularly. I've forgot a lot that I have. Not that it,s my head I just haven't dug into my collection. All in safes. My daughters getting married so it might be a good time to cash out some of the forgotten.;) Many of those 79 buck milsurps are now in the 3-600 range. :t

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.