Weak quality ammo uses - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:28 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weak quality ammo uses

Hi All, being we aren't talking about the greatest batch of ammo we can buy, i have a question.
I have some ammo that I purchased last shortage, and yes it all goes bang.
I generally shoot either steel with my pistols, or for groups with my rifles.

I have been using the weaker quality to shoot steel, and the better quality for groups, although I do feel a benefit using the better ammo in my pistols as well. I have a reasonable amount of each. I am sure I am not the only person who is in this position now.
My real question is how are you all using your ammo these days, being we aren't sure when we can replenish our supplies. I realize there is no right or wrong here. I just wanted to hear what others are doing.

Do you shoot your best first in hopes that this gets better, and leave the less desirable alone ( like a reserve) assuming we will be able to replace it soon?
Or do you go the other way, and save the best for last?

PS, I don't hunt with my ammo, so I can't use the lower quality for that.

Thanks for any input

Rich
Old 01-23-2021, 10:07 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Im doing it the same way i have always done it. Imshooting the best ammo in the best gun ( meaning the gun i shoot best) down to the worst ammo in the worst gun. ( meaning the gun i shoot worst)

Or put it another way, as long as im having fun, im happy! If plinkster can shoot federal blue box bulk out of his Ruger Mark ll , and split a playing card, then so can I!

In the winter i shoot offhand ,indoors , i dont need high quality ammo to do that!

Just putting 10 inside a 2 inch target at 10 yards is hard !
Old 01-23-2021, 10:20 AM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I reserve my “good” ammo ( eley) for shooting in my rifle I use for matches. When I get a new gun I might run a magazine or two of the “good stuff” through it to check function and accuracy ( mostly pistols here)
If I get a chance to practice with my rifle ( I have been working 21 days straight so not lately) I will use the “good stuff”
For routine practice with my pistols I use whatever I can find on sale or in my high velocity stash ( been getting lucky as of late to find pre panic price ammo available intermittently locally)
When I get a chance to shoot bullseye pistol matches the “good stuff” comes out again.
I probably shoot a brick of bargain ammo to every box of match ammo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2021, 10:28 AM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot pistol far more than rifle. It is nice to have a revolver! I found 22 short available locally for $3/box, and bought my limit. The revolver doesn’t care. Even shot a steel challenge match with shorts.
For messing around with the revolver, whenever we have a steel challenge match I pick up any loose .22 on the ground in and around the shooting box from people that have malfunctions and don’t bother to recover it. By the end of the match I usuallly have about 50 rounds, which becomes part of my practice ammo stash for use in the revolver.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:32 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If I'm attempting close range moving targets, ammo quality is the least of my worries.
4 inch swinging target off hand at 20 yards, you know there's no need for submoa ammo.
Bulk 22lr is fine and a ftf or fte just means good practice for clearing the jam.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:30 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought that's what Heritage Rough Riders were for?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:54 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Buy a entry level Henry and a ruger wrangler. Do some offhand steel with the cheap stuff. Even duds dont slow you down..
Old 01-23-2021, 06:58 PM
Mark1964
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lapua/SK, Eley/Wolfe and RWS/Geco for match and match practice.
CCI for Appleseed-style targets.
Bulk for plinking.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 PM
davew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I test all my ammunition for how they perform in my firearms. I then shoot up the worst batches first, just to get it out of the way.

I'll also reserve it for the firearms where I can't tell much of a difference. For example, I'm a terrible pistol shot because I just don't practice. I'll shoot up my version of "less than desirable" ammunition for my pistol practice until I finally reach the point where I can see a real difference.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Cheap store bought ammos are about to go on gunbroker. I pretty much use sk st+ for target and hunting needs. I’m sure it will take a while to replace what I sell but I honestly expect to see the target stuff back before your bulk will be back in the stores.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:48 PM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been doing some testing on some new rimfires, and getting that sorted out takes some time.

But generally I use up the lesser quality ammo first within reason. But I do reserve some for plinking or offhand practice. Since my offhand game isn't that strong, using the lesser quality stuff is probably only costing me a few points. Same applies to shooting a pistol with iron sights. That 1/4-1/2" ammo POI difference is still a lot less than the user error, so why use the higher grade stuff?

Having acquired two more rimfires since the latest madness started, I'm still buying what I can to test. The ones that can justify better grade ammo will get it, the ones that shoot just about anything well will get anything.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:17 AM
Mark1964
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting that some guys burn up their lesser quality ammo first.
I'm the other way around. At my age and with my health, I'll take max return on my leisure time today. Tomorrow, I may be worm food.
I still match the ammo to the purpose, but the better choices go into the range bag sooner rather than later.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:52 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the interesting replies. Someone mentioned revolver, and I remember that I have a GP100 in 22, and yes, it eats everything without a fuss. It is certainly the hardest gun I have to clean, but hey, I can use junk ammo in it. I don't shoot it to its potential as I am mostly shoot SA pistols, but it is still fun.
I guess I save my Eley for my Annie or my CZ rifle. Everything else can be used up in whatever I feel.
Sad state of affairs, when my old CCI SV has now moved up in the ranks of quality ammo! No disrespect to CCI SV, however, the current mess has us rethinking everything!!

BTW, in my opinion, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it, is not sell any ammo for the tempting profits. I believe the comfort of having it in reserve, is greater than the comfort received from a profit.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming!! Maybe we will discover new value for poor quality ammo!!

Be safe and well

Rich
Old 01-24-2021, 10:21 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
Hi All,
My real question is how are you all using your ammo these days,
PS, I don't hunt with my ammo, so I can't use the lower quality for that.

Thanks for any input

Rich
I use Eley sshp and RWS sshp for hunting and Minimags for plinking and pistol.
$15+ ammo is reserved for targets and often to see a new rifle's accuracy 'be all it can be'. JMO IME YMMV ETC
Old 01-24-2021, 09:42 PM
jimd441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a couple of bricks of Golden Bullets I bought during the Obama shortage because they were the only .22 ammo I could find. Shortly after getting these, other ammo became available so the GBs went to the back of the shelf where they sat for ~10 years. Recently I decided to burn through them in my revolvers, shooting targets at 10 yards. That way the impact of inconsistent charges won't affect cycling of an auto, and hand held handguns at short range minimize the impact of any inherent ammo inconsistency (at least with me shooting the guns).

Jim