Difference between the 1712 54-action and the 54.18 action? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Eastfield

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Difference between the 1712 54-action and the 54.18 action?

As the title says, whats the difference between these two?
And is the only difference between the 1712 barreled action and the 1710 barreled action the barrel dimmension?

All help would be apreciated!

(Excuse my bad english)
Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastfield View Post
As the title says, whats the difference between these two?
And is the only difference between the 1712 barreled action and the 1710 barreled action the barrel dimmension?

All help would be apreciated!

(Excuse my bad english)
No. I assume you're talking about the repeating 50:18 MSR and not the single shot 50:18 MS. The 1712 does not have the 5018 trigger, and all but the most recent 1712s had a flag, or wing, safety on the bolt, not the cone-shaped cocking piece and sliding safety of the match rifles (now even the sporters have the cone-shaped cocking piece and side safety). The 1712 trigger was usually a two-stage unit, but it was not the premier 5018 match trigger. The 50:18 MSR was a kind of hybrid, in that it had the bolt body and dual extractors of the repeating sporter 54s but the cocking piece, safety, and trigger of the single-shot match rifles. And, of course, the barrel contours and stocks are very different.

TBR
Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Eastfield

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ahh, i see. And yes, i was talking about the repeating MSR. Talking accuracy-wise, is there any difference between a 1712 and a 54.18 MSR?
I was originally koplinga for a 54.18 for a project, turns out the action is out of production..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Rex M

Quote:
Ahh, i see. And yes, i was talking about the repeating MSR. Talking accuracy-wise, is there any difference between a 1712 and a 54.18 MSR?
I was originally koplinga for a 54.18 for a project, turns out the action is out of production..?
You can get 54.18 MSR barreled actions for 1500$ or so from Championchoice.com.

And yes, the 54.18s have the better reputation for true gilt edge accuracy. Heavier, but more accurate.

Whether or not you can tell with it in your hands is another deal altogether. Both are excellent rifles.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Eastfield

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm, i see.
But will they send a barreled action to Norway? (I'm norwegian, yes)
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In addition to the better trigger, the action screws are located differently.
The 54.18 MSR has both action screws in front of the trigger. The 1710 has one at the front of the action and one at the rear. I prefer the 54.18 MSR arrangement for bedding. The other thing I like about the 54.18 is the use of a slot in the bottom of the action for a recoil lug instead of the vertical lug between the barrel and receiver.
Incidentally there is no need to apologize for your English. It is as close to correct as most posters on this site and better than some.
Don
Old 12-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Eastfield

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh well, thanks.
Hopefully im getting a 54.18 MSR.
The two main importers of Anschutz in Norway told me that the 54.18 MSR action/rifle is impossible to get hold of nowadays. Then i you told me about champchoice.com. Thanks!
(That is, if its even possible to export one of these to Norway)
Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Rex M

Quote:
Oh well, thanks.
Hopefully im getting a 54.18 MSR.
The two main importers of Anschutz in Norway told me that the 54.18 MSR action/rifle is impossible to get hold of nowadays. Then i you told me about champchoice.com. Thanks!
(That is, if its even possible to export one of these to Norway)
I would have thought it would be easier for you to get them than us just due to proximity to Germany. But anyway, I had forgot to mention the bedding arrangement of the 54, one other thing that makes the 54.18 so nice.

Finally, the safety on the 54.18 is also better. Or at last the one on my 1813 was, and I am told its very similar to the one on the hybrid. I can tell you for sure the new safety on the 1712s are almost impossible to use. Wish Anschutz could get their act together on the safety.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Eastfield

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So did i, but turns out that this action isn't in production anymore, and the Norwegian market for these fine smallbore rifles is rather small. Rifles like CZ 452/453, The Sako Quad and Ruger 10/22 is what really sells up here. Nearly all the prone and 3p shooting is done through the DFS ("Det Frivillige Skyttervesen", The National Rifle Association of Norway). All shooting there is done with the Sauer 200 STR, a rifle based on the Sig Sauer SSG 3000. For smallbore the use a 22-kit for it
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
keithrufus
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1712 safety

Rex M
Could you be specific about what is the problem with the new safety on 1712?
Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Rex M

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrufus View Post
Rex M
Could you be specific about what is the problem with the new safety on 1712?
Thanks
Keith, the new safety is almost impossible to move. Its a physically small button, and extremely stiff in operation. I am told that it moves a bar that slides under the sear, so it has to move the entire trigger mechanism to engage. I just bought a nice silhouette rifle built on the 1712, and the maker tells me that the stiffness is a design issue. If I use both hands I can move the button from fire to safe, but it is almost impossible for me to move it the other way. Anschutz just does not intend for anyone to ever actually use a safety. The sliding safety of the 1813 and 54.18 are the best they offer though.

Eastfield, thanks for sharing the pic of the Sauer. Interesting rifle. Good luck with your search for the 54.18.

-Rex

Last edited by Rex M; 12-12-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 AM
jjp

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Anschutz changed the safety because of an importation law. Not as an upgrade or new feature. Just because they had to meet new requirements. I agree it is not a good smooth safety. I traded the one I had for an older rifle. At least shooting silhouette you won't have to worry about it. Hunting on the other hand would bother me.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Rex M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp View Post
Anschutz changed the safety because of an importation law. Not as an upgrade or new feature. Just because they had to meet new requirements. I agree it is not a good smooth safety. I traded the one I had for an older rifle. At least shooting silhouette you won't have to worry about it. Hunting on the other hand would bother me.
I had hoped to be able to use my new rifle for hunting, I had hoped it was in improvement over the SA 54 Sporter safety. It is not. I am not sure what to do with it now.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:57 PM
gkn

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex M View Post
The sliding safety of the 1813 and 54.18 are the best they offer though.
-Rex
Yeah, that!
gkn
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 AM
keithrufus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1712 sliding safety

Oh well, I must have an anomaly, or a strong thumb one. Mine appears to be like the mod 64 safety that has been around for a long time. If you had not told me there was something wrong with it, I would have never known. I shoot silhouette with mine and upon the ready command I insert mag, close bolt, apply safety, check scope adjustments. Upon the fire command I release the safety. Another problem I hear a lot about is weak ejection, but as long as I raise bolt and flick to rear, same as on my CZ's, there is no problem.