Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 880

21K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  wranglerdoug 
#1 ·
Hi all, I picked up a Marlin 880 a while back. I use it for some informal plinking. It has a pretty plain hard wood stock and iron sights. I can hit things like tin cans and shot gun hulls (sometimes) out to about 50 yards from a supported shooting position. That's about as far as I can see.

While there seems to be endless information about other models there is seemingly very little written regarding reviews and accuracy reports for this model, including on this forum.

Anyone out there provide some feedback on this gun I would be interested in what you have to say?

Thanks........

#29 ·
880SS here

I picked up mine of gunbroker for about $175 a couple of years ago. The gun shot like crap and had a horrible trigger when it arrived. I'm sure that's why it went down the road because it's a neat gun that functioned fine but was no fun to shoot. Now I've smoothed out the trigger, changed the main trigger return spring and it's smooth and has a clean break. I had to polish out the crown because the recess was rough and that caused the gun to throw a lot of shots. Now it is starting to stack up shots at 25 yards, hits well out to 75 on small game and is accounting for more and more ground squirrels every week as my knock about truck gun. Being all stainless it's pretty resistant to wear and if the stock takes a scuff here or there I don't care. I just put one of the Korean made Bushnell Trophy 3-9 scopes on it recently and it's a nice package! This one is from about 95. If you find an 880 of that vintage, check the crown or recrown and clean up the trigger and she will likely shoot well. rc

#37 ·
I own six marlin/Glenfield bolt rifles in .22, .22magnum and 17HMR I jus bought a marlin 880 about six months ago it shoots great out to 100 yards with open sights I have a Leupold Mark4 Tactical for my .338-06 but I had it off the big gun and mounted it on my 880 and it'll drive tac's out at 200 yards I really like Marlin bolt action rimfire rifles I've shot the more expensive brands over the and wasnt impressed I think Marlins are the best Rimfire bolt rifle you can buy by the way I'm a Certified Master Gunsmith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.