52D Value? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:48 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Location: 
Middle GA, USA
Posts: 
5,149
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
52D Value?



Log in to see fewer ads
What ball park value range would a 52D in VG - excellent condition fall into? Factory original stock with accessory rail underneath. Three barrel blocks and rear sight adapter plate on left side of the action. Approximately 98% bluing remains. Stock has normal minor marks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Topstrap44's Avatar
Topstrap44 is online now

Join Date: 
Dec 2012
Location: 
East Ohio
Posts: 
887
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my US marked 52-D from a buddy that got it from another buddy that bought it new. First owner never fired it, second owner only put a couple hundred rounds thru it. As near to perfect as I've seen and I gave $1000 for it and felt I got a great deal. It did not have the sights but I had a nice set of Redfield Palma and Olympic fronts to finish it up. Not sure what current value is but I'm guessing North of $1000 would still be fair for a nice one.

Topstrap
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2019, 06:30 PM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2013
Location: 
Tulsa, oklahoma
Posts: 
1,193
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
the first differentiating characteristic, after condition, is whether its a military trainer or straight civi. The trainers sell at a discount of several hundred, all other thing equal. the trainer will have "US" electrostenciled on the receiver.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Location: 
Middle GA, USA
Posts: 
5,149
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation View Post
the first differentiating characteristic, after condition, is whether its a military trainer or straight civi. The trainers sell at a discount of several hundred, all other thing equal. the trainer will have "US" electrostenciled on the receiver.
It's civilian.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2019, 08:00 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2012
Location: 
Oregon
Posts: 
1,041
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've seen a couple at gun shows in the last year. One was in the $1200 range and the other was a bit higher and both were still on the table at the end of the day.... condition on both was approximately what you describe so I would think $1000-$1200 would be a good ballpark number....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2019, 11:22 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Location: 
Middle GA, USA
Posts: 
5,149
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the replies. You've confirmed my own thoughts that $1,000 ~ $1,200 is a good ball park value.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:01 PM
pump .22s's Avatar
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
Deep East Texas
Posts: 
11,949
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the condition you describe, I think you are close on your estimate. One sold recently on Gunbroker....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/837134759

May not have been in as good of a condition as yours, but it did have the sights.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2019, 08:23 AM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2013
Location: 
Tulsa, oklahoma
Posts: 
1,193
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
It's civilian.
it seems like I paid 1200-1400 for my civi several years ago. it was virtually nib condition with nib condition international front and rear sights with their original boxes. I know the boxes don't add value but the front and rear internationals probably did compel me to "overpay" a bit. I have a trainer version too that is, for all intents and purposes, the same rifle. I think it came with an international rear and Olympic front. seems I paid about 1100 or so for it. They're nice rifles but I don't want more than I have as opposed to say-----never ending 52b and rem 37 accumulation!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2019, 12:09 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Location: 
Middle GA, USA
Posts: 
5,149
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation View Post
it seems like I paid 1200-1400 for my civi several years ago. it was virtually nib condition with nib condition international front and rear sights with their original boxes. I know the boxes don't add value but the front and rear internationals probably did compel me to "overpay" a bit. I have a trainer version too that is, for all intents and purposes, the same rifle. I think it came with an international rear and Olympic front. seems I paid about 1100 or so for it. They're nice rifles but I don't want more than I have as opposed to say-----never ending 52b and rem 37 accumulation!
The International front and rear sights, NIB condition, with original boxes would likely bring $300 - maybe more - if sold separately. They are nice sights.

The newest 52 I own is a pre-A speed lock so I'm looking to buy a newer model that I can use in our local rimfire benchrest matches. The 52D stock should ride the bags fairly well. I'll know in a few days if I'm able to buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2019, 12:27 PM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2013
Location: 
Tulsa, oklahoma
Posts: 
1,193
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
The International front and rear sights, NIB condition, with original boxes would likely bring $300 - maybe more - if sold separately. They are nice sights.

The newest 52 I own is a pre-A speed lock so I'm looking to buy a newer model that I can use in our local rimfire benchrest matches. The 52D stock should ride the bags fairly well. I'll know in a few days if I'm able to buy it.
my "first loves" among the 52's are undoubtedly the prewar B's. Strictly for shooting though, the D may be your better route. They're an example of Winchester continuing to make a top shelf product while, unfortunately, cheapening a lot of other stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-17-2019, 01:10 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Location: 
Middle GA, USA
Posts: 
5,149
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation View Post
my "first loves" among the 52's are undoubtedly the prewar B's. Strictly for shooting though, the D may be your better route. They're an example of Winchester continuing to make a top shelf product while, unfortunately, cheapening a lot of other stuff.
One of our regular benchrest shooters alternates between a Kimber 82 and a 52B. He has won his fair share of matches with the 52B.

I've used a Walther UIT rifle but more recently I've been using an Anschutz Match 54 made in 1967.

Another rifle I have but have yet to shoot in a match is an H&R M12 in like new condition. Although my scope for it is only 20X, it's very accurate.

I'd really like to add a 52D to my collection.

I once owned a Remington 37 but foolishly sold it along with a like new 24X Redfield 3200 scope. Still kicking myself.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2019, 03:39 PM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2013
Location: 
Tulsa, oklahoma
Posts: 
1,193
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I personally think the 52b prewar was the pinnacle of their workmanship. The fit and finish seemed to be just a little superior to post war. if i'm not mistaken they quit producing the chrome acc rail when they re-tooled for the war, although a few carried over to post war. I think I have one that, by sn, should be post war but has the chrome rail.

I'm always watching for 37's but I can't tell you the last time that I saw an unmolested example anywhere on line for sale.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Trabzon
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Oct 2007
Location: 
Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 
716
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My "US" Model 52D arrived from CMP in virtually pristine condition and shoots at the highest level one might expect. I'm not about to discount it because of the electropenciled "US".
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-17-2019, 05:41 PM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2013
Location: 
Tulsa, oklahoma
Posts: 
1,193
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabzon View Post
My "US" Model 52D arrived from CMP in virtually pristine condition and shoots at the highest level one might expect. I'm not about to discount it because of the electropenciled "US".
me either, I frankly don't get it. I have an example of both and perceive zero difference in functionality between the two. I bought the civi first (and really liked it) then saw the cmp version at such a better price, I snagged it. Can't recall if it came with sights but I believe I have Olympics on it now, although their probably more befitting of intl's. (for aperture sights anyway)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-18-2019, 08:38 AM
pump .22s's Avatar
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
Deep East Texas
Posts: 
11,949
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the for what it's worth department....

Given a choice of a commercial D and U.S. marked D, I will pick the commercial variety if the exterior conditions are similar. My thinking is that a fairly high percentage of the CMP guns may have had heavy usage and attendant unknown care. While this can also be true of a commercial gun, I would rather take my chances there since bore condition and accuracy is paramount for my purposes. One is more likely to take better care of gun he actually owns. I also prefer the factory stock finish on the commercial guns.

My opinions of course.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x