Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 PM
noisy2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
redfield sight magnification help

suggestions on who would you fellas contact about getting lens , diopter , or ? to use a set of redman olympic sights to shoot 50 yard bench, target to fuzzy thanks for any reply
Old 09-13-2019, 06:59 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy2 View Post
suggestions on who would you fellas contact about getting lens , diopter , or ? to use a set of redman olympic sights to shoot 50 yard bench, target to fuzzy thanks for any reply
The brand is Redfield and the front aperture or insert should be in sharp focus, and the target SHOULD be fuzzy. Yep, if you only have one image to be sharp, the front (sight0 or aperture is the one.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:06 PM
noisy2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sorry for mistake meant Redfield not redman

thats what im trying to find out because i cant see the target at 50 yards get something for the front sight or the rear sight or both ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been shooting peeps at our long-range matches, not exactly sure what target you are shooting at your benchrest matches. I have a separate set of targets for the metallic sight shooters since quite a few of the targets the scoped shooters shoot are just too small to see without magnification.

Mine are 4moa which sounds large but a pinprick when looking thru the peep aperature. A lot of shooters try and use too small rear aperature, bigger allows more light which makes it crisper. Too small and it's fuzzy and appears to have fuzz or a hair in it.

I also use a slightly larger front insert but you just have to pay close attention to being centered exactly. Some like the apperatures small so the target nearly touches and makes it easy to center. You might need a bit larger target to see it better.

Scoped shooters can't believe the groups that can be achieved with peep sights, much smaller than the size of the target being shot at. Usually can rival the scoped competitors groups on my steel plate racks.

Might not be the correct way to do it but I focus on the front ring, then focus on the target to exactly center it, then back to the front aperature before squeezing. I've played a bit with the rear by moving my head slightly and as long as the front aperature and target are perfect the rear can be slightly out of alignment and it'll still be right in the group.

I always tell everyone that if the target is visible it's as easy to hit as with a scope, if you can't see it clearly it don't matter how accurate the gun is. If they will let you shoot a slightly larger target you can focus on it and still have the same size scoring ring as everyone else.

It's so satisfying to make an accurate shot with the older guns and metallic sights but as we get older it gets tougher. I'm 65 and wear glasses but am still able to be competitive on my 4moa targets. My Son can see smaller targets but our group sizes are nearly identical. Good luck and hope you find a combination that will work for you.

Topstrap
Old 09-15-2019, 02:43 AM
noisy2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks Topstrap

thats what im looking for info im like you i love shooting peeps i think they are very accurate thats the prob the target is fuzzy had to bring the target in from 50y to didnt meas but somewhere 25 30ish im 65 near sighted fixing to order some lens filters watever it takes soon as get eyes checked canceled eye appoint trying to find a doc that shoots gona be fun Ted
Old 09-17-2019, 10:14 PM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps something like the MISO lens might work & meet the rules?

http://ironsightoptics.com/
Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
For the Martini rifles J.H. Steward Ltd, England made optical eyepieces with correction to make the front sight appear clearly. The eyepiece I have has the same thread as my Lyman and Williams receiver sights, and would fit Redfield having the same. It also has a rotating colored filter plate c/w one open hole and an adjustable iris. It is a nice piece of kit! The company is still in business and will made correction lenses if you send your Rx and the focal distance to the front insert. You can sometimes find these eyepieces on the auction sites. Note that these lenses are not magnification but correction to 'clear the front sight'.
But, fwiw, I am 66, near-sighted, have astigmatism and glaucoma; I do not have a correction lens for it but do tolerably well without if using a big enough front aperture in the Parker Hale No.1 tunnel front and dial the rear iris to a clear hole without 'fuzz in it'. Trying to use too small apertures is a recipe for failure.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-17-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This might work.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/mai...tions&item=560