Scope Setup Questions for 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 PM
UltimateGuns
RFC Sponsor
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope Setup Questions for 10/22

Hello all,

I've come to the unfortunate realization that even with Tech Sights, my aging eyes just aren't up to snuff for 25 yard shooting without some help. So I've started outfitting a spare 10/22 for a scope setup.

Other than tactical red dots, I have practically no experience with optics. For Appleseed, I've ordered a custom Leupold FX-1 4x28 fixed scope with the parallax set at 25 yards (they don't do meters), which I plan to mount on this 10/22.

It has an Archangel stock, Kidd lightweight barrel, Kidd trigger, and the rest are custom pieces from my store. The only things that are still Ruger is the receiver and trigger housing.

Anyway, from what I've read, it's best to mount a scope even with the rear of the receiver. I've read that EGW and Volquartsen extended picatinny rails are usually long enough for most scopes on a 10/22. Are there any others I should consider? Also, which rings would you suggest for a 4x28 scope with 1" tube? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I can see where high quality rings and mount are important.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-13-2017, 06:19 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateGuns View Post
Hello all,

I've come to the unfortunate realization that even with Tech Sights, my aging eyes just aren't up to snuff for 25 yard shooting without some help. So I've started outfitting a spare 10/22 for a scope setup.

Other than tactical red dots, I have practically no experience with optics. For Appleseed, I've ordered a custom Leupold FX-1 4x28 fixed scope with the parallax set at 25 yards (they don't do meters), which I plan to mount on this 10/22.

It has an Archangel stock, Kidd lightweight barrel, Kidd trigger, and the rest are custom pieces from my store. The only things that are still Ruger is the receiver and trigger housing.

Anyway, from what I've read, it's best to mount a scope even with the rear of the receiver. I've read that EGW and Volquartsen extended picatinny rails are usually long enough for most scopes on a 10/22. Are there any others I should consider? Also, which rings would you suggest for a 4x28 scope with 1" tube? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I can see where high quality rings and mount are important.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad
Hello, looks like you have an awesome rifle that should serve you well, the scope will do fine too.

I have found that the mounts you mentioned work well, but also I have used the rails from DIP Industries, they would do the job as well.I have them on a couple of my CZ 452's and a 527.

For good eye relief I have mounted my scopes in the manner you have already described and it works quite well for me.

I used to be an irons only shooter and I still do shoot with irons often, but my eyes last longer while using a scope!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mount the scope even with the rear of the receiver???
You mount the scope loose in the rings, shoulder the gun and move the scope back and forth to the spot of perfect eye relief. There are a million videos out there showing how to mount and sight-in a scope.

The Ruger base works well and with a small scope should be perfect. You don't need high-end rings with a .22 either, what many buy are overkill and stronger than necessary.
I use Leupold Rifleman rings on all my .22s, they are good quality, alloy, black or silver and only about $15 a pair.

A little hard to see but the stock Ruger base with Leupold Rifleman rings: http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Ran...zcy47.jpg.html

Last edited by Randy99CL; 05-13-2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 11:37 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as mounting with the rear of the scope even with the receiver, that's how mine are mounted and they work great. I find extended mounts work great for achieving good eye relief while in the prone position and slinged up.

Over the years while working the firing line in the Appleseed program, I see that most are better off with their scopes far forward. Your experience may vary.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM
douglas34474
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Put the bell of the scope even with the rear of the receiver. You will be taught to stretch your neck, "turkey neck", as far forward as possible.

Both the EGW and VQ offerings will work well. Adjust your cheek riser so that when you get into position, your head does not have to be moved back or forth to get a clean, hard edge on the outline of the scope. You should not have to move your head up or down either.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For increased flexibility in mounting the scope, I have had good luck with the Primary Arms extended scope mount. It sets the scope forward just enough that you have some slack either way to fine-tun the scope position.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:50 PM
UltimateGuns
RFC Sponsor
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello all,

I finished my Appleseed build. The custom Leupold arrived, and I mounted it with an EGW extended rail and Burris Zee rings. Eye relief is perfect. I can't wait to sight her in on Monday. I realize this rifle is sort of an ugly duckling, but it feels amazing. I love the Archangel stock. I have high hopes for this baby.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 06-04-2017, 04:41 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You have a sling for it? They HIGHLY recommend you have a sling... as they teach you how to effectively use one. I believe they recommend the M1 style cotton unit. They come in both Olive Drab and Black.

I'll be taking the family to our first Appleseed on July 8-9... so I've got to be ready X5!!! EEK!! LOL

Last edited by n2omike; 06-04-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:23 PM
UltimateGuns
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, we have slings.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:54 PM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a fine looking rifle, looks very well suited to shoot Rifleman scores with!

Last edited by MacGhillemohr; 06-05-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:22 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I use the same stock, but use a Fedderson bull barrel. I think yu'll find that parallax isn't an issue when you have the perfect cheek weld that stock allows.

I use this Barska 2.5x on extra high rings.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/barska-2...cle-scope.html

The 6 inch eye relief provides enough eye relief range for both standing and prone. The high scope rings allow a lower hold and better weak arm support, and the POI is the same at 25 and 50m.

The picatinny on the bottom of the stock can be used to mount a palm rest as well.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:02 AM
beallj
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you tried the eye relief while prone?