2021 Marmota Monax - Groundhog, Woodchuck, Whistle Pig Thread - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:49 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2021 Marmota Monax - Groundhog, Woodchuck, Whistle Pig Thread

Time to show us your dispatched chucks! Extra kudos if you use a rimfire.

Nailed two on our walk today and my Eika just brings them back to me. The first of 2 groundhogs today I spied about 150 yards off. We stocked into about 90 yards with Eika at heal the whole time. Told her to stay and I crawled to get 10 yards closer, then stood. With my head and shoulders now visible, I checked Eika, still sitting back 10 yards - good girl. The .17WSM makes a very loud crack, so I like Eika to be well behind me. Took my time settling in for an off-hand shot. At the crack Eika moves forward and looks at me - "search" - and off she goes. I was able to unlock my phone to capture part of her 80 yard retrieve - [see link at bottom]. Dang, these dogs are something else they way the can read our body language. This is just after a few weeks ago with her chasing cottontails. Which, as many of you know, is a completely different hunting style.

[IMG][/IMG]

The second saw from an elevated position and ranged to 109 yards and had time to set up my stool and sticks. Again, Eika brought it back.

.17WSM (Hornady) Savage BMAG Heavy Barrel - Boyd's Feather Weight Stock - Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X40.
https://home.mycloud.com/action/shar...7-f374e69b6fc5

Last edited by Bradical; 05-02-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:18 AM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You have one heck of a dog there.

Mals
Old 03-20-2021, 07:48 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This afternoon was my longest successful shot yet with the .17WSM. I attempted one last year but had the scope height input wrong in the calculator. Ranged to 204 yards and taken from the stool and sticks. The shot hit just below the left ear and travel into its body cavity. It just dropped - DRT. Elevation adjustment was 10 clicks or 2.5" MOA.

Eika made a blind retrieve. Resting once about half way. She didn't want to let this one go. I couldn't blame her. She worked hard for it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Bradical; 03-20-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2021, 01:11 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
You have one heck of a dog there.

Mals
Thanks, Mals. Couldn't agree more.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:46 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We've been back a bunch since the first three but we haven't been running into much activity. Either way, it is always good to get outside after work and get in a good walk and run.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, on the 14th Eika spied movement and went to check it out. Just before I snapped this pic, Eika was on point and the two of them were locked in a stare-off at about 6ft apart with the groundhog just out of his hole - pretty funny. She's standing right over the varmints hole in this picture right after he disappeared:

[IMG][/IMG]

Now knowing were his hang out was the next evening we slowly and quietly approached. Sure enough he was just outside his hole again. We were able to stay mostly out of sight behind a huge tree, which also made for a great standing rest. My angle was about the same as the picture above, but from 80 yards off. At this distance I'd lost sight of him and thought maybe he heard us and disappeared. But, with binoculars I could just make him out. Then, through the scope I lost sight of him again. He shook - son-of-a-gun - I was looking right at him and couldn't make out his outline against those dead weeds, amazing.

The 17WSM is merciful - DRT. After Eika dragged him out she didn't want to let him go.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2021, 02:32 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After my farmer's son said he'd seen activity along this stretch of grass we reversed our usual route and made our approach from a good vantage point with the sun setting just behind our left shoulder. This was this Friday evening and we'd been out only 5 - 10 minutes. I usually take a route where I can let Eika stretch her legs pointing and chasing Robin's. This let's her get in some good long hard sprints before we set to "work."

Sure enough I see a head pop up out of the grass just behind a tiny rise. Eika is not at all interested in coming to heal, but she does. Especially when I unshoulder my rifle. Now she's nose in the air and highly alert. We sneak to within a ranged 104 yards and off comes my pack. I set up my stool and sticks and get the foam in my ears. Meanwhile Eika is dancing around looking here and there and whining. I motion for her to sit and she obeys, sitting about six feet behind me.

I'm scoping this guy for what seemed like 15 minutes as I can just barely see his back and he only picks his head up for less than a second. I make feeble attempts to whistle but just can't seem to whistle loud enough for him to sit up. I look back at Eika 'cause I haven't heard her whine in a while and she just sitting back there trembling in anticipation and boring a hole into my skull with her eyes.

I'm just going to have to be quick when the opportunity flashes. There's the head again - the shot surprised me and I blinked. I don't see anything through the scope. I rack another round and Eika is at my side tail wagging. Still don't see anything. I stand and look with the binoculars - nothing. I fear I missed. I look at Eika, "SEARCH." And she's off like a rocket with one fin stuck at the wrong angle. Then further off than I thought - it always looks further with the naked eye - Eika locks up on point, then slowly approaches. I didn't miss, whew. Snapped this picture as I was walking up:

[IMG][/IMG]

The 17WSM strikes again with another DRT headshot.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Bradical; 04-26-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:49 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last night we spied this guy at a hole that I swear grows chucks. Last year I took three in this very same spot. We were approaching from an area that you have cover until your only 30 yards away. Cross a little stream look left and there's the hole. I think I see a flash of movement. Looking through the scope backed off to 4x I see him frozen in the grass pretty well hidden. An off hand rifle shot and no more soy beans for you. This area of soy beans was really hit hard last season.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2021, 03:05 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (48)
I'd like a dog like that. Great companion, too.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:45 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Keep

up the good shooting Bradical. Great dog!!

Pat G
Old 04-26-2021, 02:19 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great job, Brad! Love your dog, too. Eika seems to be a fine hound. So far this year, I've managed 2 'chucks. However, they were with the .222 and I suppose wouldn't count for this thread. My Sam does a good job of finding them when I shoot them though. Unfortunately she's not nearly so patient as yours. By the way, what does "Eika" mean? It's certainly unique!

Mac
Old 04-26-2021, 09:58 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys! She's been a real blessing and she's turning into a very cooperative hunting partner. She's still young, 18 months. Tonight we managed another one - I'll post a pic later - again pretty early in our hunt. Later, she got sick of healing and charged off and busted a spot. Silly girl. I guess she's got to have her fun too.

Dutchmac, we wanted a German name for her and my duaghters found the name in her lineage. One of her studs way back was named Eiko. The faminin is Eike. Pronounced Ey-kā. They saw that Eika is now also an acceptable spelling. So we liked it and figured American's would have an easier time pronouncing the name spelled with the "a." I have since learned that "Ek" was the word used for the swords edge. Now I know for sure we picked the right name
Old 04-26-2021, 10:09 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BTW, I think the .222 would be the ideal center-fire for varmints. A beautiful 1960s custom Remington was for sale locally and I was soo tempted. But, can't use center-fire rifles in my County.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:17 AM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Dutchmac, we wanted a German name for her and my duaghters found the name in her lineage.... ...I have since learned that "Ek" was the word used for the swords edge. Now I know for sure we picked the right name

Yessir, I think you picked the right name; she's pretty "sharp"! I'd assumed that it was of Germanic origin, but wasn't sure so I wanted to ask. At any rate, she's a lovely dog and seems to do a cracker-jack job of finding and fetching back critters. Not to hijack your thread, but I have to brag on my Sam. For a year-old Mtn. Cur, she does very well in the woods. She's not quite treeing, but she's already figured out that when a gun is raised, she needs to look in the direction it's pointed. As soon as the gun's fired, she's off like a rocket to bring back whatever it is that's fallen. Doesn't matter if its a squirrel, a dove, or a groundhog. And heaven help the critter that runs from her! She's gotten possum killing down to a fine art, but hasn't quite figured out armadillos yet. Anyhow, enough of that. If you can't tell, I like to talk about my dog! Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical
BTW, I think the .222 would be the ideal center-fire for varmints. A beautiful 1960s custom Remington was for sale locally and I was soo tempted. But, can't use center-fire rifles in my County.
That's a pity, really. The Triple Deuce is the groundhog rifle; just turns 'em off. I load a 50gr Hornady V-max over a full case of IMR4320, and lemme tell ya, I've shot 'em at 325 with that load and it's still got enough "umph" to be wicked. My rifle is a Springfield 840 (Savage) with a Bushnell 6x40 scope on it. My best group with it so far has been .356" at 50 yards; not bad for a 57 year old rifle. She's an ugly old rifle to be sure, and the trigger isn't great, but man it does the job on critters as far as I care to shoot them. I bought it back in November, and so far it's taken 6 'chucks, a couple dozen crows, 2 coyotes and one very, very unlucky armadillo. Can't say enough good about the little rifle.

Mac
Old 04-27-2021, 03:30 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dutchmac, those Mtn. Cur's look like they'd make a great hunting pal. If you happen to have a picture of your Sam with a groundhog posted it up. We'll forgive you your .222

This is the gal we spied 25 yards to our right thinking she was well hidden on top of her pile of dirt deep in the woods. But, there was a clear path through all the branches. At this range the smokin' fast little 20g 17WSM packs one heck of a wallop. I watched her just drop like I shut of a switch. She did fall back into her hole, but Eike pull her out.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-27-2021, 03:58 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, if you insist:

1101201053a_1619556848574.jpg

Here she is, hunting around the field edges. When I take her out, I usually carry my Single Six. Unorthodox, but it works:

0403211929_1619556946037.jpg

Our trick is, she catches 'em before they get to their hole and then I shoot 'em. It works more times than it doesn't, and she's got to where she can kill them without me firing a shot now. But, there's always the wise ones that don't cooperate. The wise ones get the deuce:

1220201027_1619557067930.jpg

Like I said, it ain't pretty but it works! It'll shoot .351" off a front rest at 100; that's plenty good enough for me. And, like your 17, it'll turn the 'chucks off like now!

Mac

Last edited by dutchmac; 04-27-2021 at 04:03 PM. Reason: My terrible spelling