Gun rack in a canoe - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:23 PM
iflyfish
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun rack in a canoe

I squirrel hunt in an area that has ponds creeks and a river that will all handle a canoe. I知 ready to give it a try but can稚 really figure out a good way to carry the gun when I知 underway. I used a CZ 452 or Mossburg 12ga. I mainly want it up off the bottom and secure if I should roll. I never have in 40 years of canoeing but there is always a first.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks....
Old 12-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep. Get rid of the canoe and get a boat.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:39 PM
guther
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyfish View Post
I squirrel hunt in an area that has ponds creeks and a river that will all handle a canoe. I知 ready to give it a try but can稚 really figure out a good way to carry the gun when I知 underway. I used a CZ 452 or Mossburg 12ga. I mainly want it up off the bottom and secure if I should roll. I never have in 40 years of canoeing but there is always a first.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks....
If you use a sling, attach a safety line to the sling. By the way, you are over due to get wet if you have been canoeing for 40 years and have not flipped it.
I am not being rude, I have just done it a few times.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2017, 04:51 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I too, have flipped more than once in a canoe. But iflyfish might be much more skilled than I am.

Do you want to be able to shoot from the canoe? Or just transport the rifle via a canoe?

Personally, I would get a synthetic stocked rifle, if you do roll the canoe, you'll need to take it all apart and at least with the synthetic you won't risk the wood swelling up on you before you get home.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Earplug80911
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a canoe

Assuming you have a case. Put the case in a large trash can size plastic bag. which is tied down in the bow at a angle. If it looks like rain add another bag over the muzzle. Lay the rifle down and tie it down to the bow cross member if you have one or the tie down cleat. This way you can keep you eyes on the rifle and don't have to worry about snagging branches behind you.
If you don't want to mess with a case. Wrap some split pool noodles around the barrel to keep from scratching the canoe!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:24 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Get some "deely bobs," basically easy-on/easy-off bungee cords which are designed with holding things in canoes. I'm a canoe tripper and these things are the cat's meow and the bee's knees!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:

I used a CZ 452 or Mossburg 12ga.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Yeah.... leave the CZ 452 at home, and risk the Mossberg.

Seriously.

I have floated many a mile of stream and river, shooting ducks, deer, and squirrels. I've been doing it for better than 40 years now.

I use a Rem 870 Express synthetic, and a Rem 700 ADL synthetic.

Neither is "throw away cheap", but neither will hurt too bad either if they end up on the bottom of the creek.

I simply wrap a piece of closed cell pipe insulation on the thwart in front of me to lean them against, and have a piece of old carpet glued to the bottom where the butt rests to keep them from sliding. Instantly accessible when ducks jump (deer and squirrels usually offer much more time to prepare), but not much security if I would happen to roll.

I figure that's just the price of admission, to enjoy a really fun method of hunting.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 PM
construe24
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqbill View Post
Get some "deely bobs," basically easy-on/easy-off bungee cords which are designed with holding things in canoes. I'm a canoe tripper and these things are the cat's meow and the bee's knees!
+1
Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 AM
iflyfish
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the ideas. I値l try the bungee method.

I have a boat (skiff) but it ain稚 going where I知 going.

I might shoot from the canoe occasionally but usually I値l just be getting to the under hunted areas and hunting on land.

My 40 years comment is misleading. A lot of those years never even saw me in a canoe. But I知 about 1/2 step above novice and have been lucky so far.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:33 AM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I hunt from a canoe all the time

Get yourself some atv gun racks and mount them to the center thwart.

Use a safety line.

With a short enough gun, it will not stick out past the gunnels.

Only problem is when you get a sweeper, gotta remove the atv gun rack to slide the canoe under the log while you climb over it.

Make sure you use that cheap gun that you picked up from craigslist that you do not care about. Canoe hunting is tuff on the firearms.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IIRC, doesn't Mossberg, and maybe others, make a marine model shotgun intended for wet environments?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:53 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They do make...

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. I’ll try the bungee method.

I have a boat (skiff) but it ain’t going where I’m going.

I might shoot from the canoe occasionally but usually I’ll just be getting to the under hunted areas and hunting on land.

My “40 years” comment is misleading. A lot of those years never even saw me in a canoe. But I’m about 1/2 step above novice and have been lucky so far.
They do make floating rifle/shotgun cases. One might not be a bad idea!!! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+case&_sacat=0 You can even get them in PINK, although I think you would prefer one in camo!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Koplin, Cabela's, Redhead. and a bunch of others make waterproof gun cases that float. Carry the guns in there and tie the case with strong para cord to the canoe. If you tip, the guns stay with the canoe and stay dry. If you accidentally drop the case loading, it floats. Best all round solution for safely carrying quality guns in a Canoe or boat. Well protected by the soft case from bumps, waterproof, and float.

Examples

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...ES/1866331.uts

Last edited by Dean2; 12-27-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:30 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Question off topic ?

Maybe off topic but has anyone ever skulled a canoe to quietly sneak up on game? Similar to the old small low profile duck boats?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 AM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have drifted creeks for ducks but I was sitting up normal like. I have done it alone and with a hunting buddy. It痴 better with a buddy to paddle while you look as you go around the bends. Then switch off.

I have never done it for squirrels but I did see scads of them in the riverbank trees.

I have never done the layout thing or sculling. I bet with the modern style open kayaks it could be done easily enough. The duck hunting ones are stable and have a gun rack.

Op I would just use a case and tie it in if you don稚 already have a floating gun case. For actually hunting while underway I would consider padding the thwarts and using a bungee. Maybe a tether to a sling swivel but you would need to exercise extra caution to avoid the tether causing you an issue like getting excited and leaving the canoe with a loaded .22 only to have it yanked from your hands by its tether.