Recommendations For BRNO 4 Scope - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:20 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Recommendations For BRNO 4 Scope

I’m asking this on this forum because I need to hear from folks that understand the limitations put on us by the shorter bolt throw these platforms have.

I have a new-to-me BRNO model 4. This is the first dedicated bench rifle I’ve ever owned. Looking for advice on scoping it for target shooting. My range is private and distance isn’t restricted, however I expect most shooting with this rifle will be 25-50 yrds. I have a budget of up to $500. I don’t mind buying better glass that’s second hand. Wondering though what type scope would be best...fixed, variable? What power? This would be a dedicated target scope
Old 05-02-2021, 03:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well this might not be what you're interested in, but on my older target 22's (Brno 4, Walther, Mauser 340) I enjoy more vintage scopes. One of my favorites are the Lyman Perma-center series, 16x, 20x, etc. The Weaver T series are also nice. I find the glass on all of these to be surprisingly good, not up to better modern glass, but definitely good enough for daylight range use.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:58 PM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
I would look for a secondhand Leopold VX2, target model, 6-18X, AO. My absolute favorite midrange scope. Get one with the target dot if you can: fine duplex would be OK too.Good Luck! I love my #4 but it has always worn the BRNO target irons. When I tried a scope on it once, I used 16mm-to-Weaver adapters and Burris Signature Z rings in medium: everything cleared just fine.

Last edited by OldSwede; 05-02-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2021, 03:58 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have 40-something scopes, mostly from Burris, Weaver, Sightron, Vortex, Leupold, and Clearidge. I mostly shoot 50 yards with my Model 4 and keep a T-24 on it, mounted in CZ 527 rings. If I were even more serious about shooting my best possible groups at 50-100 yards, I'd probably put my Sightron Big Sky 36x42 on it, but I find the extra magnification above 24x to also come with a little bit of downside as it almost makes shooting groups a bit like work instead of pleasure - something about how much the 36x magnifies every heartbeat or other tiny movement unless you have a really great setup. And I don't always shoot from a great setup. For example, I probably shoot from a car or truck hood more than I shoot from a bench. But I expect I could shrink the groups just a tiny bit with the extra magnification when I have a good setup.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:14 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
The "heartbeat in your scope" problem.is exactly why I do.not go above 24x with my personal scopes. I find it extremely annoying, but that is just me. The other reason that I prefer the 6-18x over a fixed mag scope is that some informal matches limit scopes to 6x or 9x. Again:, JMHO.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:43 PM
284wahoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I too am attracted to vintage correct scopes. I spotted a few older Weaver T series scopes that look interesting. What about minimum range for parallax? Are all of these suggestions good for down to 25 yrds?
The Leupolds typically seem to go down to 50 yrds only unless it’s an EFR. Do those Weaver T series go down closer? I see that some have an odd looking AO layout which I don’t yet understand.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:51 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
I too am attracted to vintage correct scopes. I spotted a few older Weaver T series scopes that look interesting. What about minimum range for parallax? Are all of these suggestions good for down to 25 yrds?
The Leupolds typically seem to go down to 50 yrds only unless it’s an EFR. Do those Weaver T series go down closer? I see that some have an odd looking AO layout which I don’t yet understand.
Minimum range on the T-24 is 50 FEET. Not sure if you can see the distance scale on the Objective in the photo that I posted above. It might look complex, but it's not. The scale is marked in both Yards and Meters, so it looks like there are a lot of markings, but you just use the row (top or bottom) that you want, whether it's Yards or Meters. That one is the latest one they built, BTW.

I also have a few of the V-24s. I like that scope a lot because it just works for my eyes. I THINK the T-24 is a little better than the V-24 with the V-24 set on 24x, but if so, it's not a big difference. I use the V-24 on rifles where I will be shooting for groups, but also might want to dial it down a bit for other things.

Last edited by I6turbo; 05-02-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:32 PM
284wahoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
How do the weaver KT series stack up against the T series? 15 or 16 power.

Also, what about older Japanese built Bausch & Lomb?

Those Sightron S-Tac 16 scopes seem to have good specs too.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had both an old Weaver K8 with AO on and also a Leopold M7.5 on mine, I too like the vintage fixed power scopes. I saved two target's from last year when the Leopold was mounted one target was 1.3" and the other was less than an inch @100 yds C-C. I'm trying and hoping for better. I'm also trying to build enough courage to mount this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210209_201959_1620008276290.jpg (284.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:34 AM
284wahoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Well, the bbl ought to be long enough for it.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:17 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
How do the weaver “KT” series stack up against the “T” series? 15 or 16 power.

Also, what about older Japanese built Bausch & Lomb?

Those Sightron S-Tac 16 scopes seem to have good specs too.
I've never owned one of the KT series, but I think you will find yourself wanting more power than 15 - 16X if you are going to take advantage of the accuracy that the Model 4 would normally be expected to offer.

I don't have any experience with the S-TAC 16, but do have an S-TAC 4-20x50. I've liked all of the Sightron scopes I've tried (8 different scopes, 6 different models), except for two, an SII 4-16x42 and the above-mentioned S-TAC. I was pretty surprised at how many of my other Burris, Weaver, Sightron, and Vortex scopes were better than the 4-20 S-TAC. It's a 30-mm scope, 50-mm Objective, yet it isn't as bright or as clear/high-resolution as most of the other scopes that are 1" with as small as 40-mm Objectives. That said, I wonder if there's something not right about it... And I wouldn't be opposed to trying a different S-TAC model if I could return if if not satisfied.

S-TAC 4-20x50 in the middle below. It's a pretty large scope, but doesn't appear so because of positioning relative to the camera.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:43 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I have 3 STAC 4-20x MOA reticle scopes in use, one each on my 6.5CM and 6mm CM and my Lilja barreled 455 Varmint and find them as clear/sharp focused as anything I own. If they are clear on a 12"x18" white painted plate on a sunny June NC day against a red clay bank I don't know how much more resolution you can get. they kick a 6-18x Leupold and a 6.5-20 Leupold's butts there. JME. You may have a problem with yours. Mirage runs like a river on the VIR 1000 yard range, I don't have quite the color contrast of some upper end scopes admittedly. YMMV and all that.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:51 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
gmd1950,
That is the type of performance I was EXPECTING from the S-TAC and was surprised that it wasnt as good as some of my cheaper Burris scopes or the Weavers. I think Im going to call Sightron and get them to check it.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
gmd1950,
That is the type of performance I was EXPECTING from the S-TAC and was surprised that it wasnt as good as some of my cheaper Burris scopes or the Weavers. I think Im going to call Sightron and get them to check it.
I definitely would...