WMR Reliability - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:36 PM
spider
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
WMR Reliability

Is there any information to suggest that WMR is less likely to have a failure to fire than 22LR?

I am not talking about any other aspect of the two cartridges, just reliability of ignition.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Is there any information to suggest that WMR is less likely to have a failure to fire than 22LR?

I am not talking about any other aspect of the two cartridges, just reliability of ignition.
Purely empirical, but I have never (yet) had a failure using 22WMR. In a Single Six or a S&W 48.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:12 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've shot the same old EAA Bounty Hunter for a lot of years and have never had a misfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2021, 10:02 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to shoot a lot of WMR, quit the round for many years, and have now taken it back up. I can not remember ever having a misfire in the early years and have not had one in my recent revival of shooting this round.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:39 AM
spider

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It was my sense that WMR is more reliable but I have never seen anything written about that. With all the rimfire articles written you would think it had been studied and written about. I don't know any reason why it would be more reliable but it seems like it is to me.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:53 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It's rimfire.
Susceptible to the same problems as 22lr, 17hm2, 17hmr.
Problems with assembly/components at the factory, rough handling during shipping
and with the rifles/pistols due to mechanical issues or failure to clean build up in the receiver.
Case ruptures, weak cartridges and failure to fire can happen, not if, but when.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:14 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
It's rimfire.
Susceptible to the same problems as 22lr, 17hm2, 17hmr.
Problems with assembly/components at the factory, rough handling during shipping
and with the rifles/pistols due to mechanical issues or failure to clean build up in the receiver.
Case ruptures, weak cartridges and failure to fire can happen, not if, but when.
You and I must be doing something wrong.
I've had misfires with my WMR's, probably in the range of one out of every couple hundred rounds...worse in sub-zero weather (which I attribute more to firing pin lubrication).
My guns also don't shoot MOA 'all day long'.
Where are we going wrong
Old 03-30-2021, 06:43 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wrong? Nothing wrong, just what we've experienced snaggle.
The larger the reference sample, the likelier it is to run into unsatisfactory results.
A single 5 shot group is not "all day long", especially if it didn't hit where ya' were aiming, eh?
Old 03-30-2021, 10:52 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Never had given it much thought..but....

I don't remember dud one in my years

I've froze it and drowned it..can't remember any failures

In the shorts-L.R., many

I hope i don't loose any sleep over this tonight

pipestone
Old 03-31-2021, 06:39 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yep, some of us never have a problem.
Others have to put up with less than desirable results.
Then we end up dealing with customer service.
Been there, done that, got the refund check, twice.

Last edited by jaia; 03-31-2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:14 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had some problems with an RAR and sent it back. It was the gun not the ammo. Light strikes and extraction issues. Replaced the bolt. I don't recall ever having a dud that was not the gun. The rounds always fired in my single shot or revolver which had a heavy strike.
If you are having problems in cold weather check your firing pin. You may be getting light strikes.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:24 PM
mtnhickorynut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post

It separates 22WMR from standard 22 or 22LR. Never remember an ammunition related failure with 22WMR. Have experienced a rifle that would pierce the rim of some with the firing pin.

Seems there is no truly 'bulk' or less expensive 22WMR ammunition either. Perhaps it is true, quality costs and we pay.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:57 PM
spider

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhickorynut View Post
It separates 22WMR from standard 22 or 22LR. Never remember an ammunition related failure with 22WMR. Have experienced a rifle that would pierce the rim of some with the firing pin.

Seems there is no truly 'bulk' or less expensive 22WMR ammunition either. Perhaps it is true, quality costs and we pay.
This makes a ton of sense to me.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:04 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good quality Firearm..Good quality ammo. No problems. Same with my .22 LR rimfires. I do not use junk ammo, nor do I buy junk Firearms.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:27 AM
BlackBat242
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In 2019 I had serious reliability issues with a new-bought box on Winchester white-box .22WMR (NOT Dyna-point*, no specific type name at all, no large X on the box, just the Winchester name) - purchased new at Sportsmen's Warehouse.

I noticed that in my Savage A22M it was quieter, and had less recoil - so much less that it never fully extracted.

I then fired it in my OM-SS, and had the same quiet "pop" and low recoil. I checked the barrels on both and were clear of any bullet - but both had yellow crystals in them!

I fired some of the CCI I had, and they worked fine and cleared the barrel of the crystals. I tried a few more of the Win in the SS and the same thing happened, s I threw the rest of the box away (pulled the bullets, then dumped the lot in the garbage).

Fortunately it was a 50-round box, and I had only purchased the one, so it wasn't a bad lesson.

* I already had some Dyna-point, and it worked correctly.